• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kid about Kirkman, I know there is reason they've kept him around. We haven't seen the best of that guy yet, he is going to likely perform better at some point. His development was stunted with the injuries and cancer and all he went through. Hope we see him make much progress soon. Left handers with some power are not a dime a dozen. Would like to see him get a little movement on some pitches.

Kirkman has been in the ranger system for 10 years, how long you going to give him. He just cannot cut it in the majors. He nothing more than an average minor league player.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sure has an awful lot of "ifs" involved there for the headline to ring true.

That's the wonderful thing about baseball. So many things have to work out and fall into place over the course of a season for a team to be competitive and go deep into October. Just look at 2010; the Rangers weren't expected to win the AL Pennant but it happened. Or even the Royals from last year.

It's why I've tried to tune out the noise from the prognosticators, because ultimately it's just a guessing game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think Prince will bounce back and have a decent season. Like we were discussing a few days ago, his last year numbers he had in Detroit would be very acceptable at this point. Also think Choo is going to be fine for this season; beyond actually.

But when you start talking about the rotation and "if" they can stay healthy until the Calvary shows up in the form of Perez and Harrison, this seems like some real pie-in-the-sky to me. I am counting on very little, if anything, from Perez next season. And if Harry every shows up again I'd count it as a blessing and not the sound of galloping hoofs.

Waiting for Harrison and Perez to arrive as "the cavalry" is the definition of pie in the sky. I'm not counting on either contributing this year, and anyone who does needs to wake up to reality.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting for Harrison and Perez to arrive as "the cavalry" is the definition of pie in the sky. I'm not counting on either contributing this year, and anyone who does needs to wake up to reality.

I keep my fingers crossed for Harrison. I really do. But I honestly don't think we'll ever see him at the MLB level again.

If anyone deserves a good turn of events, it Harry.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think Prince will bounce back and have a decent season. Like we were discussing a few days ago, his last year numbers he had in Detroit would be very acceptable at this point. Also think Choo is going to be fine for this season; beyond actually.

But when you start talking about the rotation and "if" they can stay healthy until the Calvary shows up in the form of Perez and Harrison, this seems like some real pie-in-the-sky to me. I am counting on very little, if anything, from Perez next season. And if Harry every shows up again I'd count it as a blessing and not the sound of galloping hoofs.

The good news for us is that I think we will be right there to make a move at the trade deadline. Oakland is gutted, Houston is a year or two away, and I just can't see Seattle or the Angels running away with it

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep my fingers crossed for Harrison. I really do. But I honestly don't think we'll ever see him at the MLB level again.

If anyone deserves a good turn of events, it Harry.

If Matt gets to the point where he could pitch I wonder how the Rangers will walk the fine line between being cautious with him and appearing to not want him to pitch just to get the insurance money. I wonder if there is a clause in the insurace policy where the insurance company gets to send their own doctors in to examine him and determine if he is healthy enough to pitch. The Rangers have always been very cautious with their pitchers coming back from injury. With the money that is at stake I just wonder if the insurance company will want to make sure they aren't being overly cautious. He most likely doesn't get anywhere close to returning though.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Matt gets to the point where he could pitch I wonder how the Rangers will walk the fine line between being cautious with him and appearing to not want him to pitch just to get the insurance money. I wonder if there is a clause in the insurace policy where the insurance company gets to send their own doctors in to examine him and determine if he is healthy enough to pitch. The Rangers have always been very cautious with their pitchers coming back from injury. With the money that is at stake I just wonder if the insurance company will want to make sure they aren't being overly cautious. He most likely doesn't get anywhere close to returning though.

Good question ... but TEX has walked this line before on countless pitchers recovering from surgery.

I actually see Matt Harrison as the Colby Lewis 2.0

I think they are going to hang with Matt as long as he wants to stay active.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question ... but TEX has walked this line before on countless pitchers recovering from surgery.

Down side of that is you may have a pitcher who is given a spot in the starting rotation who is a shell of himself and their results are mediocre and in the process we are stunting the growth of a younger pitcher who could give us better results while getting invaluable lessons at the major league level.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Down side of that is you may have a pitcher who is given a spot in the starting rotation who is a shell of himself and their results are mediocre and in the process we are stunting the growth of a younger pitcher who could give us better results while getting invaluable lessons at the major league level.

Who said anything about Matt being in the rotation? I actually project Colby moving to the Long Relief/Swing role in the rotation at some point in the season freeing a spot for an emerging talent. Would far prefer to see a veteran filling this role than sticking a Nick Martinez with the "Scott Baker Utility Pitcher" role.

Harrison will not be ready for any role for two years. He'll be 30yo. Same age Colby was when TEX signed him as a FA in January 2010.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rangers are not going to give Harrison a spot in the rotation just to do so. What would make you think they would do this?

Honestly, I don't think Harrison would do it either - at least not for long - if he thought he couldn't compete. That's not why he's trying to come back is be some "over-the-hill" just occupying a spot guy.

Harry seems like a good of nothing but good intentions, man of pride and expectations, and if he even suspects he's hurting the team, he'll bow out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has been some time since they have had to walk the line with this big of a contract though hasn't it? The bigger the contract the bigger the temptation I would think and the more concerned the insurance company would be.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about Matt being in the rotation? I actually project Colby moving to the Long Relief/Swing role in the rotation at some point in the season freeing a spot for an emerging talent. Would far prefer to see a veteran filling this role than sticking a Nick Martinez with the "Scott Baker Utility Pitcher" role.

Harrison will not be ready for any role for two years. He'll be 30yo. Same age Colby was when TEX signed him as a FA in January 2010.

I see no way that Colby does that. His pride would get in the way. He will be a starter. By the way I did not imply that you said Harrison would be a starter if it came out that way. But I do feel the way we have done things that if he made it back it would be as a starter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are not going to give Harrison a spot in the rotation just to do so. What would make you think they would do this?

Honestly, I don't think Harrison would do it either - at least not for long - if he thought he couldn't compete. That's not why he's trying to come back is be some "over-the-hill" just occupying a spot guy.

Harry seems like a good of nothing but good intentions, man of pride and expectations, and if he even suspects he's hurting the team, he'll bow out.

I love Harrison and would love to have him back as his old self. But what makes me think it could happen is Colby Lewis last year and this coming year. I believe for them it is starting or nothing. And I understand that mind set.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see no way that Colby does that. His pride would get in the way. He will be a starter. By the way I did not imply that you said Harrison would be a starter if it came out that way. But I do feel the way we have done things that if he made it back it would be as a starter.

Colby will be in the rotation until he can't be in the rotation. I'm not saying he would be demoted to LR just because the clock ran out. There is going to be the normal give and take in the rotation due to one SP or another going down either with our without a DL stint and that mix is going to end up with odd starting opportunities like Scott Baker had last season.

Not many figured Colby would make it back from his hip problem and he did. Let's see how things are in ST for him. TEX is going to keep signing him to one year deals as long as he can still hold a ball. They know he will take himself out when he's no longer contributing and that might include him doing they 'hybrid' role if it keeps him in the rotation.

The other role that I have always wondered about is for a guy like Colby to be a closer. Colby will be 35 this year. When Sandman was 35 ... he pitched for 8 more seasons until he was 43 ... logging 273 Saves. I think a veteran SP going into his 35yo season is figuring his time is coming to an end ... and might wonder if he could replicate just a little of what Mariano did.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch Moreland and Rangers avoid arbitration - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

In addition to the signings, the Rangers invited six minor-leaguers, righties Alec Asher, Alex Gonzalez and Keone Kela, along with catcher Pat Cantwell, third baseman Joey Gallo and outfielder Jared Hoying, to major league spring training.

I wonder if Asher will be the surprise of this camp. 2 years ago it was Tepesch and last year it was Martinez who came out of nowhere to make the team.

I am glad Hoying will be in the big league camp. I think he is underrated.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else see the picture on the Rangers Facebook page of Rougned Odor at the most recent Winter Caravan signing session? I mean, I know he's young and immature, but you'd think that someone would have told him that wearing a SnapBack hat diagonally backward and tilted was not the best way to represent the team or himself when interacting with the fans. The only thing missing was pants sagging below his ass. I know baseball players aren't fashion icons or choir boys, but I think we can do better than the ghetto thug look. Martin Perez is sitting next to him in a Rangers jacket and ski cap, looking every bit the Major League ball player, and Odor looks like some trashy little hood rat they pulled in off the street.

I know it's much ado about nothing, but I've just never seen any Ranger player ever dressed like that at a team event.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince says he was bullied as a kid. I bet those who bullied him sure hope he doesn't hold a grudge. lol

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else see the picture on the Rangers Facebook page of Rougned Odor at the most recent Winter Caravan signing session? I mean, I know he's young and immature, but you'd think that someone would have told him that wearing a SnapBack hat diagonally backward and tilted was not the best way to represent the team or himself when interacting with the fans. The only thing missing was pants sagging below his ass. I know baseball players aren't fashion icons or choir boys, but I think we can do better than the ghetto thug look. Martin Perez is sitting next to him in a Rangers jacket and ski cap, looking every bit the Major League ball player, and Odor looks like some trashy little hood rat they pulled in off the street.

I know it's much ado about nothing, but I've just never seen any Ranger player ever dressed like that at a team event.

I actually noticed that too. I must say it did look odd but then I guess in general I'm just used to seeing that hat look in general that beyond the oddity of it I didn't think much of it but I do agree that during team/media functions he should be advised not to wear his hat that way.