• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am sticking with - I don't get it - still.

Pay a journeyman a little money on the FA market and keep the young arm.

How much could a Soto, or Soto type, cost on the open market? And how silly are we gonna feel if 3 years down the road this Akeem kid is trucking along in AAA?

Have Corporan at league minimum through 2018. Saves millions in just the bytes we don't post back and forth about backup catchers every off season between now and then.

There is long history of being very protective of young pitchers. Fact that they moved second round Bostick may be a non-baseball reason we know nothing about.

As for those who would have traded Kirkman consider this. TEX gave him his FA on 2 Dec and resigned him on 4 Dec. They wanted him back ... and probably not to flip to HOU for a backup catcher.

There is something we don't know about Bostick.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have Corporan at league minimum through 2018. Saves millions in just the bytes we don't post back and forth about backup catchers every off season between now and then.

There is long history of being very protective of young pitchers. Fact that they moved second round Bostick may be a non-baseball reason we know nothing about.

As for those who would have traded Kirkman consider this. TEX gave him his FA on 2 Dec and resigned him on 4 Dec. They wanted him back ... and probably not to flip to HOU for a backup catcher.

Bostick is a lottery ticket. Always a chance it comes back to haunt you, but the odds are not really in his favor.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are in none of their favor .. least of all high school pitchers. From the 2013 draft class ... Chi Chi may have got the only ticket.

I really hope he pans out we've had some pitchers we were very hyped over flame out. Buckel, and possibly Jackson to name two.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I kid about Kirkman, I know there is reason they've kept him around. We haven't seen the best of that guy yet, he is going to likely perform better at some point. His development was stunted with the injuries and cancer and all he went through. Hope we see him make much progress soon. Left handers with some power are not a dime a dozen. Would like to see him get a little movement on some pitches.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope he pans out we've had some pitchers we were very hyped over flame out. Buckel, and possibly Jackson to name two.

Diamond and Hurley come to mind. I still hold out hope for Buckel and Jackson, though its tough on Cody and fading on Jackson a bit.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

To give a perspective of the trajectory that Chi Chi is on consider this ...

Derek Holland in his 20-21yo seasons pitched at four levels from Spokane through Frisco in a total of 42 games and 217.2IP.

Chi Chi Gonzalez in his 21-22yo seasons pitched at four levels from Spokane through Frisco in a total of 39 games and 180.2IP

That's a pretty near vertical trajectory.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sticking with - I don't get it - still.

Pay a journeyman a little money on the FA market and keep the young arm.

How much could a Soto, or Soto type, cost on the open market? And how silly are we gonna feel if 3 years down the road this Akeem kid is trucking along in AAA?

Of the two young pitchers we traded this week I think Diplan may be the most likely to make us feel sick. That is, just based on the pitchers and not what we got for them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two young pitchers we traded this week I think Diplan may be the most likely to make us feel sick. That is, just based on the pitchers and not what we got for them.

But that's likely to be about 4-5 years down the road, if ever

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kid about Kirkman, I know there is reason they've kept him around. We haven't seen the best of that guy yet, he is going to likely perform better at some point. His development was stunted with the injuries and cancer and all he went through. Hope we see him make much progress soon. Left handers with some power are not a dime a dozen. Would like to see him get a little movement on some pitches.

His problem is between the ears. Take care of that and the rest may follow suit and be a good lefty option out of the pen.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His problem is between the ears. Take care of that and the rest may follow suit and be a good lefty option out of the pen.

I think he just isn't that good or else he would have put something together over the course of ten years that had some staying power.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Of those two ... agree Diplan the more intriguing. But it is still a crap shoot.

Tells you something though ... Milwaukee wanted Diplan. Am sure they asked about Chi Chi and TEX laughed. Fact that TEX used Bostick within a week of the Gallardo trade means he was available for MIL too ... and they didn't want him ... they wanted the 18yo with 65IP at DSL under his belt.

Milwaukee figured they didn't want Bostick either. With PV of Bostick = PV Corporan ... that does not portend well for Bostick's upside projection.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowlishaw is a shock jock who's always got something negative to say about dfw teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowlishaw is a shock who's always got something negative to say about dfw teams.

I like Cowlishaw a lot actually. Think he speaks frankly and let's the chips fall where they may.

Sometimes it comes across as negative to some. But for me, its honest and straight forward.

Agree to disagree I guess.

PS.....if you have time today check out the college thread.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cowlishaw a lot actually. Think he speaks frankly and let's the chips fall where they may.

Sometimes it comes across as negative to some. But for me, its honest and straight forward.

Agree to disagree I guess.

PS.....if you have time today check out the college thread.

I enjoy listening to him on his afternoon radio show.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He sure has an awful lot of "ifs" involved there for the headline to ring true.

I do think Prince will bounce back and have a decent season. Like we were discussing a few days ago, his last year numbers he had in Detroit would be very acceptable at this point. Also think Choo is going to be fine for this season; beyond actually.

But when you start talking about the rotation and "if" they can stay healthy until the Calvary shows up in the form of Perez and Harrison, this seems like some real pie-in-the-sky to me. I am counting on very little, if anything, from Perez next season. And if Harry every shows up again I'd count it as a blessing and not the sound of galloping hoofs.