• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helling remembered for showing heart with Rangers | texasrangers.com

Rick Helling has always been one of my favorite Rangers pitchers. This is a great article for those who remember him as fondly as I do.

For four years with Texas, Helling was not a bust. From 1998-2001, he was a top-of-the-rotation pitcher on division championship teams, a pitcher who delivered more on heart and intestinal fortitude than he did on sheer physical ability. Helling has earned a prominent spot in Rangers history.

"I never saw anybody do it. I never saw anybody stick a needle in his butt. But you would see guys who were throwing 87 mph one year and then come back the next year throwing 97-100. You knew something wasn't right. That's not normal."
Helling kept pressing the issue year after year. It took awhile, but people finally started listening and baseball gradually phased in drug testing to the point that it is now one of the toughest programs in sports. Rather than being ostracized for his stance, Helling remains one of the most respected players in the game.
As former pitcher David Cone told writer Tom Verducci, "[Helling] was the first guy who had the guts to stand up at a union meeting and say that in front of everybody and put pressure on it."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Helling as well. Glad he got a couple of rings with the Marlins. The guy deserved it.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was always a fan of Rick Helling.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing Helling honored at the Awards Dinner tomorrow night. There's supposed to be some players signing beforehand, I hope he's one of them.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly hypothetical, if the Phillies would take Profar and Luke Jackson for Cole Hamels, and they kicked in part of Hamels salary, would you do that deal?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly hypothetical, if the Phillies would take Profar and Luke Jackson for Cole Hamels, and they kicked in part of Hamels salary, would you do that deal?

Speaking only for me, yes

Knowing reality, depends on how much salary and how the budget is, but that's as pretty good deal

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Cowboy View Post

Knowing reality, depends on how much salary and how the budget is, but that's as pretty good deal

i was agreeing with jta's answer

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure would

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helling was one of very view MLB players ever from the great state of N Dakota, if memory serves. Seems one of those other fellas was named Maris, or something like that.

Although technically, Roger was born in Minn.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm the Rangers and they kick in $15 mil, I'm jumping all over that.

If I'm the Phillies, I'd be insane to take a chance on this trade, IMO.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Cowboy View Post

i was agreeing with jta's answer
Got ya. Thanks.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless darvish is suddenly competing for the 4 or 5 spot, then that comment wasn't intended for him, top 3 is pretty much locked barring injury

Not sure if that was intended to be snarky but it came off that way

The visual of Darvish working out behind his garage was a message to the guys on the bubble. That's not just the #5 spot. Would not be the first camp where someone unanticipated came out of pack.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves To Sign Jonny Gomes

The Braves have reached agreement with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes on a one-year deal with a vesting option for 2016, Yahoo Sports’ Tim Brown reports (Twitter links).

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It may just be the fact that the Rangers may not think very much of him if they decided to give him up at the tender age of 19 or whatever he is. Add to that perhaps the organization didn't want to bring Soto back unless there were no other options or just out of desperation.

After 2013 TEX signed Soto 5 days after they gave him his FA. At the time TEX had Soto in mind for their starter but that changed. TEX sold Soto to OAK and traded Gimenez to CLE.

If TEX wanted Soto it could have had him on 1 Nov. Instead TEX signed Gimenez on 4 Nov. Now with Corporan they have three journeymen to cover until Alfaro arrives.

Know its not very flashy but serviceable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2013 TEX signed Soto 5 days after they gave him his FA. At the time TEX had Soto in mind for their starter but that changed. TEX sold Soto to OAK and traded Gimenez to CLE.

If TEX wanted Soto it could have had him on 1 Nov. Instead TEX signed Gimenez on 4 Nov. Now with Corporan they have three journeymen to cover until Alfaro arrives.

Know its not very flashy but serviceable.

I am sticking with - I don't get it - still.

Pay a journeyman a little money on the FA market and keep the young arm.

How much could a Soto, or Soto type, cost on the open market? And how silly are we gonna feel if 3 years down the road this Akeem kid is trucking along in AAA?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If PHL was going to kick in any part of Hamel's contract they would want more than a SS with a bad shoulder history and a minor league pitcher.