• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I can remember when the only stations you could watch baseball on were NBC and ABC on Saturday afternoons and a few Monday nights. It was so rare back then to get a Ranger game on.

When I was in 5-8 grades (1963-67) we lived in Hawaii and there were no live broadcasts of any sport of any kind until the Michigan St-Notre Dame game in 1966. That was with Terry Hanratty for ND and Bubba Smith for MSU and it ended 10-10. That should tell you how old I am. We had moved from Washington DC to Hawaii. Guess who was playing in DC. Yeah and they stunk but my favorite players as a kid were Chuck Hinton and Claude Osteen as they had picked him up. In Hawaii since the World Series was a tape delay played the next day I listened to the 1964 Yankees-Cards WS on my transistor radio (some of you know what that is) and when the Cards won I became a Cards fan. We then moved to Cape Cod and sure enough the Cards played Boston in the 1967 WS. Then we moved to San Antonio and it was while I was in living in San Antonio when the Senators moved to Arlington (and yeah they stunk too) then to Denver then to West Texas. Well in West Texas there were no Ranger games ever. I would go into the kitchen and listen to every game on the radio. When we move to the Dallas area in 1989 and our apartment had cable which started showing many Ranger games it was awesome. Man, I am ready for some regular season Ranger baseball.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM Jon Daniels said today at Rangers Fan Fest that the team is unlikely to trade for Josh Hamilton, Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest tweets. The Rangers reportedly discussed a Hamilton deal with the Angels earlier this offseason, although those talks were not in-depth. Also, free agent lefty reliever Neal Cotts is not likely to re-sign with the Rangers, Andro tweets.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM Jon Daniels said today at Rangers Fan Fest that the team is unlikely to trade for Josh Hamilton, Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest tweets. The Rangers reportedly discussed a Hamilton deal with the Angels earlier this offseason, although those talks were not in-depth. Also, free agent lefty reliever Neal Cotts is not likely to re-sign with the Rangers, Andro tweets.

Damn I want Hamilton back

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As ticked off as I was with him that last year he was here I would like to have him back in comparison to what we have out there but just do not see it happening as the Angels would have to pay for a huge amount of the salary and I do not want to give the Angels prospects that we would regret later on.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's better he just stays away. I suppose if Anaheim ate up 75% of his salary then MAYBE you could consider but he's just a heavy load baggage and unless he's performing during his peak years at Texas it's just not worth it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of was kidding lol. But I wouldn't hate it

I would hate it.....sorry.

First, we'd have to send them young prospects. Second, he's well past his prime. Third, we should be out of the adult/baby-sitting business permanently. Fourth, we need to see what Rua can do out there in LF IMO.

And I didn't even mention what money we'd have to pay him.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The guy just didn't realize how good he had it here. I have always said when he left every party involved lost. The Angels lost, Hamilton lost, and we lost. He is such an odd individual with such an odd background that I think he could only be successful in very few places and this was one of them. If he would have done a 4-5 year deal with us for about $15-18 million per year I think he would still be here and would still be a productive player. I wonder if he has realized that yet.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just might get your wish in 3 years. He would be just the kind of bargain JD would take a gamble on if we are in need of an outfielder when Hamilton is free again.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just might get your wish in 3 years. He would be just the kind of bargain JD would take a gamble on if we are in need of an outfielder when Hamilton is free again.

Dang, how old would he be then?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be 38 when he'd be a FA, which is 2018.

That's called "looking down the road" and I'm not sure for what, to speculate on a guy like Hamilton 4 years from now.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be 38 when he'd be a FA, which is 2018.

That's called "looking down the road" and I'm not sure for what, to speculate on a guy like Hamilton 4 years from now.

Would not be surprised this was Hamilton's last contract. His heart wasn't in it a long time ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would be a free agent after the 2017 season and would be 36. Old enough maybe to send him to the bargain bin and that is where JD loves to shop a lot. Hey, if Hamilton does rebound some and we are in contention in 2017 and the Angels aren't then JD might even trade for him then. You just never know.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be a free agent after the 2017 season and would be 36. Old enough maybe to send him to the bargain bin and that is where JD loves to shop a lot. Hey, if Hamilton does rebound some and we are in contention in 2017 and the Angels aren't then JD might even trade for him then. You just never know.

I hate math, and consider myself poor at it. However.......Hamilton is 33 now and will be 34 in May of 2015; according to baseballreference.com.

He won't be a FA until the end of 2017, which will make him 37 in the 2018 season.

I find it amazing I'm/us/we are even discussing a guy with Hamilton's past about how he "may be available" in 2018.

Josh's body has got to be older than his chronological age would suggest right now. In my humble opinion, much older. After all, this guy burned the candle at both ends and sometimes, even in the middle too earlier in life.

Surely we can find something more pertinent, for both the short and long term re: the Rangers to discuss, even if it is mere speculation than JH's future.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate math, and consider myself poor at it. However.......Hamilton is 33 now and will be 34 in May of 2015; according to baseballreference.com.

He won't be a FA until the end of 2017, which will make him 37 in the 2018 season.

I find it amazing I'm/us/we are even discussing a guy with Hamilton's past about how he "may be available" in 2018.

Josh's body has got to be older than his chronological age would suggest right now. In my humble opinion, much older. After all, this guy burned the candle at both ends and sometimes, even in the middle too earlier in life.

Surely we can find something more pertinent, for both the short and long term re: the Rangers to discuss, even if it is mere speculation than JH's future.
Ain't me a talking. I'm with you.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't me a talking. I'm with you.

Well then....as Tim Blake Nelson said in the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou......"shucks, I'm with you fellers." :pound:

See ya tomorrow DT....

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, when he becomes a free agent in Nov. 2017 he will be 36 and 5 months old. Then in late May of 2018 he turns 37. We were both right even though we were giving different ages because we were giving his age at a different point in time.

As far as what is discussed I don't think everyone is going to always agree on every topic being discussable. It is taking a lot of topics, some less interesting than others, to get through the offseason.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, when he becomes a free agent in Nov. 2017 he will be 36 and 5 months old. Then in late May of 2018 he turns 37. We were both right even though we were giving different ages because we were giving his age at a different point in time.

As far as what is discussed I don't think everyone is going to always agree on every topic being discussable. It is taking a lot of topics, some less interesting than others, to get through the offseason.
You can say that again. Don't seem to have as many posters as in the past.