• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay i think if he meets the performance standards he will opt out.

At $11 mil per season, he'd be stupid to not opt out if he can. And I don't think Yu is stupid in any manner.

We'll find out a lot during 2015, including perhaps if he really does enjoy it here, respect the organization, have a good relationship with Bannister/Maddux, etc.

I couldn't blame a guy for testing the FA waters if he wants too. After all, he had no choice on where he had to sign on coming to MLB.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think he will opt out.

I wouldn't let him get anywhere close to that point before extending him. At this point an extension offers him some protection against injury. After his injury last year and after all of the other injuries the team has went through lately Yu may be in the best mindset he is ever going to be in as far as extending goes. That's why I hope there is an anouncement in ST about both parties agreeing to an extension.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't let him get anywhere close to that point before extending him. At this point an extension offers him some protection against injury. After his injury last year and after all of the other injuries the team has went through lately Yu may be in the best mindset he is ever going to be in as far as extending goes. That's why I hope there is an anouncement in ST about both parties agreeing to an extension.

I have no evidence to back this up with, but for whatever reason, I don't feel Darvish will be here for the long haul.

As I said before, he had choice but to sign with us if he was going to play in MLB when he came here. Also, I suspect he sees those bright lights of NYC or the movie making opportunities in LA and he can't help but wonder what it would be like to be a cog in those big machines.

Money may not be the back-breaking on any deal, because he's going to get a ransom regardless of where he commits.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no evidence to back this up with, but for whatever reason, I don't feel Darvish will be here for the long haul.

As I said before, he had choice but to sign with us if he was going to play in MLB when he came here. Also, I suspect he sees those bright lights of NYC or the movie making opportunities in LA and he can't help but wonder what it would be like to be a cog in those big machines.

Money may not be the back-breaking on any deal, because he's going to get a ransom regardless of where he commits.

He can get a longer term protection from injuries by extending here though. If he doesn't then he has to wait until after 2017 to get that protection. By extending now it gives him protection for a longer and nearer window. Besides, the NYC bright lights haven't attracted too many free agents of late so I wouldn't be too worried about them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can get a longer term protection from injuries by extending here though. If he doesn't then he has to wait until after 2017 to get that protection. By extending now it gives him protection for a longer and nearer window. Besides, the NYC bright lights haven't attracted too many free agents of late so I wouldn't be too worried about them.

would you do it? i think i would play out the string here or opt out if the opportunity comes and go to an organization like the Yankees or Dodgers where there's plenty of money and a willingness to spend it

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would you do it? i think i would play out the string here or opt out if the opportunity comes and go to an organization like the Yankees or Dodgers where there's plenty of money and a willingness to spend it

No I wouldn't. And what if he got hurt? It's not like he's gonna die poor.

And who knows what might be the motivating factor on what he does next. Obviously a great contract is forthcoming.

But, he might have visions of doing film work - was/is considered a male model type - so SD/LA/SF/NY have something extra there. Or, maybe the lifestyle/climate means more to him; i.e. Seattle with it's large Asian population may be attractive.

He's gonna get his money, regardless of where signs.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I wouldn't. And what if he got hurt? It's not like he's gonna die poor.

And who knows what might be the motivating factor on what he does next. Obviously a great contract is forthcoming.

But, he might have visions of doing film work - was/is considered a male model type - so SD/LA/SF/NY have something extra there. Or, maybe the lifestyle/climate means more to him; i.e. Seattle with it's large Asian population may be attractive.

He's gonna get his money, regardless of where signs.

If I thought he felt this way at all, I would pitch him til his arm fell off, damaged goods people, have at it

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have heard that for years about the Yankees and it just doesn't happen nearly as much as some think it would. I think the attraction of those teams is way overblown. If that was the case as much as some think then Lester would have signed with one of those teams and Scherzer and Shields would be on their way to one of those two teams as well.

I think you are totally discounting the benefit of him protecting himself against injuries derailing his opportunity to make more money.

I do believe that if we pursue an extension soon we would have a very good chance of keeping him through 2020 or longer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas Rangers' Window Is (Briefly) Closed | FOX Sports

This guy seems to get what some of us have been saying for awhile now. The window is briefly closed.
The team knows where it sits, relative to the rest of its division and the wild-card race as a whole. A lot of work remains for this team to compete for a playoff spot in 2015. Perhaps we should take the Rangers'€™ inactivity during the Hot Stove season and their devotion to their youth movement as a sign Texas is building for 2016 and beyond, not making an ill-fated run into the middle of a crowded playoff push. ...
The next wave of positional talent is on its way to Texas. The Rangers added some real talent at the trade deadline, and the Joey Gallo coronation grows ever closer, with Jorge Alfaro and a whole bunch of pitchers hot on his tail. The future in Texas appears quite bright. But more and more, the present appears like a bridge to those better days. Daniels and his staff can pull the trigger to make their team instantly better, but the better bet looks like one set to pay off a little further down the road.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy seems to get what some of us have been saying for awhile now. The window is briefly closed.

I'm not quite as pessimistic as this guy, as I think some of the intermediate talent (Smolinski/Choice/Hoying/Rua) will step up this year (not betting on who), maybe not make the playoffs but battle nonetheless, injury situation will be better with bounceback years by Fielder & Choo

Maybe an Alfaro, Gallo and some of our next wave of pitchers of pitchers sighted around September

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article.

For me, I'm not slamming the door shut just yet for 2015, if for no other reason, look what's happened in the pennant races over the past few years. As the old saying goes, "That's why they play the games."

Can't tell you how many people over the years have won the pennant, in their minds anyway, in March only to come away so disappointed.

So let's see how this all plays out. But I think the article you sent is overall is on track.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shitter-full.jpg

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After two ambulances one care flight and three hospitals later my wife survived a heart attack and we are back home. Got back home 9:30 Christmas Eve night. We are both weak and tired but not enough to wish all of you a Merry Christmas in the true meaning.

Your ace reliever,
dt

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After two ambulances one care flight and three hospitals later my wife survived a heart attack and we are back home. Got back home 9:30 Christmas Eve night. We are both weak and tired but not enough to wish all of you a Merry Christmas in the true meaning.

Your ace reliever,
dt

Wow DT! Glad she is doing alright. What a way to spend Christmas. I am sure they must have found the problem and took care of it. I can attest that things like this make you realize what is important and what is not important. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your ace reliever,
dt

very happy to hear she is okay.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your ace reliever,
dt

My gosh DT! Very sorry to hear this.

Merry Christmas to you sir and God speed on your wife's recovery.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your ace reliever,
dt

Very sorry to hear that but so glad she is ok. Merry Christmas and God Bless.