• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be a major deal for SD, too bad we seem to be just going thru the motions

nM04wNS.gif

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat:

Improved baserunning will be an item on the Rangers’ to-do list in the spring. The American League leaders in outs on the bases last season:

Team

Outs

Los Angeles Angels

Detroit

Rangers

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preller is over there doing work. He's at the least exciting the fans. Only time will tell whether they can compete in that division. Myers for Hamels would be a great trade for the Padres, IMO.

Hard to compete with the Dodgers spending unreal amounts of money. SD will be better at scoring runs but their pitching still has to prove they can be one of the best rotations in their Division before I see them really contending

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you tell us what "motions" you'd have us doing right now please?

well we need starting pitching (a #3), a backup catcher and a lot of experts say we need a LF'er with a stick but i'm in the minority because i want to see this team be more than average and compete while everyone else seems to be content with a "let's wait, go with what we've got and hope that all of the studs in the minors come thru in 2016 or 2017." i don't know how many of the crowd here was around from day one of this team but we endured year after year of this kind of thinking and it sucked.

criticize me all you want but i want more of what we got when we were the beast of the AL and got to the WS and i don't want to sit back and hope that in another year or 2 or 3 we may get there. when you sit back and do very little and then hope that in that year or 2 or 3 that X number of your minor leaguers are going to jump to the majors and suddenly become studs you are setting yourself up for either a long wait or disappointment

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we need starting pitching (a #3), a backup catcher and a lot of experts say we need a LF'er with a stick but i'm in the minority because i want to see this team be more than average and compete while everyone else seems to be content with a "let's wait, go with what we've got and hope that all of the studs in the minors come thru in 2016 or 2017." i don't know how many of the crowd here was around from day one of this team but we endured year after year of this kind of thinking and it sucked.

criticize me all you want but i want more of what we got when we were the beast of the AL and got to the WS and i don't want to sit back and hope that in another year or 2 or 3 we may get there. when you sit back and do very little and then hope that in that year or 2 or 3 that X number of your minor leaguers are going to jump to the majors and suddenly become studs you are setting yourself up for either a long wait or disappointment

First, we aren't even close to ST yet, so the time is still available for us to make a move for a SP - although some think Detweiller may be the answer - and a catcher. Don't know if we think Jimenez is the answer or not to the organization regarding catching.

Second, I don't think most of us are in the mind set of waiting for the youngster to arrive like the cavalry.
But what we should do is not spend/trade in 2015 until we know what we're going to get from the well over $200 million commitment in Fielder, Choo and EA.

If we go out and spend for say a LF, and only to find out the EA of 2014 is the EA of 2015, Fielder can be nothing but an average DH, Martin can only be a CF with platoon possibilities, etc. is throwing good-money-after-bad IMO.

Lastly, the Rangers of old never ever had the commitment to a minor league system like we have now. There was no plan whatsoever for much help arriving via this system and, at least in part, was a vital part of why we sucked so much.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been here since Day 1 and I do want us to get back to going to the WS. I do realize that with the path JD and ownership chose to take a year ago that it isn't happening anytime soon. I think waiting on the minor leaguers is the only way we will ever do it now that we are saddled with the contracts of Fielder and Choo and are living under budget constraints. That doesn't mean I agree with the things that have brought us to this point though. Now that we are at this point I don't believe we have any other realistic option but to wait. I guess I am not as upset as you are currently because I saw this coming and have gotten used to it. What's done is done.

Everyone once thought the smokescreen was the announced budget, but the real smokescreen appears to be an attempt to get a #3 pitcher, a LF and a backup catcher. That never seemed realistic to me given the budget constraints. They will add pitching, outfield, and catcher depth, but it won't be the quality everyone was hoping for.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rome was built one brick at a time. Not in a day. Keep spending millions like Fielder and co. and and you will keep on getting what you've always got until 2010. What you want may be in ST and will be wise to wait and see before going shopping.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rome was built one brick at a time. Not in a day. Keep spending millions like Fielder and co. and and you will keep on getting what you've always got until 2010. What you want may be in ST and will be wise to wait and see before going shopping.

My timing may be poor in bringing up this analogy, but that other team playing in Arlington has been a 500 team for over a decade and a half - until this season - by paying it forward, and not drafting (prudently) young promising talent.

DT, I concur completely, in both your brick at a time advice, as well as, ST 2015 - maybe even to the AS break - for us to see what we've got both on the mend, and with our youngsters.

There is no need IMO for us to panic and dig the hole even deeper all in the name of short term gain.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule forces Texas Rangers to put pitcher on release waivers | Dallas Morning News

The obscure rule says a team cannot outright a player with limited major-league experience who is injured until March. Rowen spent 24 days with the Rangers during this season. The only way to get him off the 40-man major-league roster is through a release.

A player on release waivers can be claimed for $1 but must be placed on a major-league roster. If Rowen clears, he becomes a free agent, and the Rangers can re-sign him. His waivers expire on Tuesday.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My timing may be poor in bringing up this analogy, but that other team playing in Arlington has been a 500 team for over a decade and a half - until this season - by paying it forward, and not drafting (prudently) young promising talent.

DT, I concur completely, in both your brick at a time advice, as well as, ST 2015 - maybe even to the AS break - for us to see what we've got both on the mend, and with our youngsters.

There is no need IMO for us to panic and dig the hole even deeper all in the name of short term gain.

Okay I can see that like I said I'm in the minority on the subject. We have obvious holes just like last year especially in the Starting Pitching area but let's wait and hope we don't have any issues.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schoenfeld doesn't know we signed Colby and thinks Harrison will be in the rotation. Validity in question.

I could see how he could have had Harrison included and put it under the "optimistic" column. But to not have Lewis is called "uninformed."

Also, he sure had a bunch of what-ifs when describing how the Mariners are going to challenge for the division title.

I could have used the same scenario and put the Rangers in the challenging position.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schoenfeld doesn't know we signed Colby and thinks Harrison will be in the rotation. Validity in question.

He also thinks we have a shot at Scherzer or Shields. He has no clue.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Saddles may have been saying that its the Fielder and co stuff that has handcuffed us financially now. I can see both sides of the story but we have to live with the moves that were made and what we have now and not get carried away with ourselves. Se we cannot make a tough situation worst until the dust clears and we see what we actually have.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Saddles may have been saying that its the Fielder and co stuff that has handcuffed us financially now. I can see both sides of the story but we have to live with the moves that were made and what we have now and not get carried away with ourselves. Se we cannot make a tough situation worst until the dust clears and we see what we actually have.
I think you, Saddles, Donaldson and myself are on the same page here. Can't get the cart before the horse.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I can see that like I said I'm in the minority on the subject. We have obvious holes just like last year especially in the Starting Pitching area but let's wait and hope we don't have any issues.
But you are not alone here, Scotty.