• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markakis is going to have to have surgery. Supposedly the Braves knew about it before he signed. They think he'll be ready for opening day, but I know I wouldn't have paid Nick that much not knowing if he'll bounce back.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markakis is going to have to have surgery. Supposedly the Braves knew about it before he signed. They think he'll be ready for opening day, but I know I wouldn't have paid Nick that much not knowing if he'll bounce back.

I wouldn't have paid that much or for that length of time regardless of injury. IMO, a very bad signing.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five questions as Texas Rangers head to winter meetings | Dallas Morning News

Question/answer # 3 makes absolutely no sense to me on several levels.

I don't understand Hunter being an exception. The part about the lack of financial inflexibility I understand only in that they have already told us what the budget would be and that creates lack of flexibility. The reason why the budget has to be that low I will never understand. I have never had many expectations for this offseason since JD told us the budget would not increase.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all seemed kinda bleak

I'm wondering about the signing of Jimenez if we are still thinking of Soto coming back.

And yeah, that whole article was not "encouraging" to say the least.

And I don't understand at all this perceived huge need for a LF. Could we use one with power? Sure. Would I rather see us use the money it'll take to get one for a pitcher? Absolutely

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering about the signing of Jimenez if we are still thinking of Soto coming back.

And yeah, that whole article was not "encouraging" to say the least.

And I don't understand at all this perceived huge need for a LF. Could we use one with power? Sure. Would I rather see us use the money it'll take to get one for a pitcher? Absolutely

The problem is that our needs have appeared just one year too early for our prospects to fill those needs. It seems to me that the prudent course of action would be to find stop gaps for this year and not give up valuable prospects to fill positions that could very well be filled by the 2016 season from our own system. I think they are in a position of needing to wait until the end of the free agency period to find guys who have slipped through the cracks to sign one year deals. Kind of like the Orioles did last year with Cruz. I think that would be the best course, but I am not sure that that is what will happen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that our needs have appeared just one year too early for our prospects to fill those needs. It seems to me that the prudent course of action would be to find stop gaps for this year and not give up valuable prospects to fill positions that could very well be filled by the 2016 season from our own system. I think they are in a position of needing to wait until the end of the free agency period to find guys who have slipped through the cracks to sign one year deals. Kind of like the Orioles did last year with Cruz. I think that would be the best course, but I am not sure that that is what will happen.

I agree with your statement.

But here's my problem (s), (1) Unless the stars Aline, and I mean really Aline, we aren't going to make the playoffs next year, much less make it the WS. So if this is true, then (2) We have Rua/Moreland/Jake to fill that LF void for 2015. Why spend money on a one year rental, with such a limited budget? Besides, we may have our long term solution in Rua. 2015 will be a perfect time to find this out for sure IMO.

And I'm gonna keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, "spend that money on a decent/good pitcher that can pay dividends for years."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But here's my problem (s), (1) Unless the stars Aline, and I mean really Aline, we aren't going to make the playoffs next year, much less make it the WS. So if this is true, then (2) We have Rua/Moreland/Jake to fill that LF void for 2015. Why spend money on a one year rental, with such a limited budget? Besides, we may have our long term solution in Rua. 2015 will be a perfect time to find this out for sure IMO.

And I'm gonna keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, "spend that money on a decent/good pitcher that can pay dividends for years."
Agree.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My preference would be to allow Rua to be the LF. I don't really want a platoon. I would like to see him get a chance to play almost everyday in 2015. I wouldn't mind spending most of the available money on a one year pitcher that we could flip at the deadline.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference would be to allow Rua to be the LF. I don't really want a platoon. I would like to see him get a chance to play almost everyday in 2015. I wouldn't mind spending most of the available money on a one year pitcher that we could flip at the deadline.

I think you and I, along with DT, are on the same page. But it sure doesn't seem like the Rangers are. And this has me completely bedazzled.

Our logic is solid, and their money is precious (for whatever reason).

I promise ya this, we won't be saying at any point in 2015, "boy, if we just had a good LF we'd be terrific."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you and I, along with DT, are on the same page. But it sure doesn't seem like the Rangers are. And this has me completely bedazzled.

I promise ya this, we won't be saying at any point in 2015, "boy, if we just had a good LF we'd be terrific."
This is a classic time to find out what our kids can do. We are not going to the ws anyway. Spend money on a sp and look to 2016

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

depending on who JD brings in as the #3 SP we could be saying just that