• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering about the signing of Jimenez if we are still thinking of Soto coming back.

And yeah, that whole article was not "encouraging" to say the least.

And I don't understand at all this perceived huge need for a LF. Could we use one with power? Sure. Would I rather see us use the money it'll take to get one for a pitcher? Absolutely

Jimenez was a minor league deal... so in other words... depth in the organization.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Rua won't be that LF?

not saying he won't be but i think it is a little early to be saying that he will be the starting LF'er. right now i'm writing names at positions in pencil because we won't know anything until game 1. some on here apparently are writing names in with a sharpie

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are overvaluing Rua.
He'll end up being a utility guy long-term. Either here or elsewhere.

Yeah, I may be. But he's produced pretty decent offensive numbers in the minors. Why not find out what we've got in 2015?

If you're right, so be it. But this season is the perfect one for us to experiment with LF IMO.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I may be. But he's produced pretty decent offensive numbers in the minors. Why not find out what we've got in 2015?

If you're right, so be it. But this season is the perfect one for us to experiment with LF IMO.

It wouldn't surprise me if Choice wins the battle. I bet they've ben working hard with him in the off-season. I like Rua too.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they had already made a decision about Telis right after the season ended and that was to move him down to the minors

As in "depth in the organization." I got that already.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rather do that than waste pitching money on a 6 to 8 million dollar rental.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me if Choice wins the battle again. I bet they've ben working hard with him in the off-season. I like Rua too.

Thanks for bringing him up......I think he has some upside, no doubt about it.

The thing I don't get - can't get at all actually - is this constant chatter about getting a LFer as a stop gap until some of our minor leaguers are ready for the big dance.

Again, spend the money on pitching and let's see what we may have, or don't have, in our own yard already for LF.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for bringing him up......I think he has some upside, no doubt about it.

The thing I don't get - can't get at all actually - is this constant chatter about getting a LFer as a stop gap until some of our minor leaguers are ready for the big dance.

Again, spend the money on pitching and let's see what we may have, or don't have, in our own yard already for LF.

I'm fine with that. Of course I would like to upgrade and contend, but not if it's going to take any of my minor league favorites. I really think one of the only ways to upgrade the line-up is trading EA for Kemp. It allows us to insert Profar which is another line-up upgrade. Then find a starter either by trade or FA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that. Of course I would like to upgrade and contend, but not if it's going to take any of my minor league favorites. I really think one of the only ways to upgrade the line-up is trading EA for Kemp. It allows us to insert Profar which is another line-up upgrade. Then find a starter either by trade or FA.

Kemp would certainly be a huge upgrade in LF.

But you're comfortable enough with Profar to trade a guy who we know for a fact, can produce at the ML level, both offensively & defensively, but hasn't over the past two seasons, for a guy who hasn't ever? We're not even positive this guy can get a good nights sleep without getting injured quite honestly.

If you are, OK, so be it. But I'm not.

My bottom line for 2015 is this, "let's see what we have, since we have so many key concerns all over the diamond and make decisions based on eyes on facts, rather than potential/if he's healthy, etc types of evaluations."

Don't spend good money chasing bad.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is way too early to tell if Rua will be an everyday player or a utility guy. Many discount him because he was never considered to be one of our top prospects. All he has done so far is deliver though. Kind of like Rusty Greer delivered when he was never on one of our Top 10 prospect lists with Baseball America. They had outfielders like Terrell Lowry, Donald Harris, David Hulse, and Dan Peltier in their top 10, but never Rusty.

I am not saying Rua will be another Rusty, but sometimes the guys making the lists have it very wrong. Looking at what Rua has accomplished in his professional career I think they are wrong about him as well. To what extent I am not sure, but I think 2015 is a very good time to find out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is way too early to tell if Rua will be an everyday player or a utility guy. Many discount him because he was never considered to be one of our top prospects. All he has done so far is deliver though. Kind of like Rusty Greer delivered when he was never on one of our Top 10 prospect lists with Baseball America. They had outfielders like Terrell Lowry, Donald Harris, David Hulse, and Dan Peltier in their top 10, but never Rusty.

I am not saying Rua will be another Rusty, but sometimes the guys making the lists have it very wrong. Looking at what Rua has accomplished in his professional career I think they are wrong about him as well. To what extent I am not sure, but I think 2015 is a very good time to find out.

2015 is THE time to find out about him, and perhaps others as well.

For the life of me I can't understand us wanting to spend big bucks in LF next season. :noidea:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

2015 is THE time to find out about him, and perhaps others as well.

For the life of me I can't understand us wanting to spend big bucks in LF next season. :noidea:
Not to mention Smolinski and Choice. Between them and Rua we may have that LF we're looking for. I say give it a look.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Kemp's contract will kill us long term. He will be 35 when the contract is finished and will be making $21.5 million each of those years. I think I would rather pay Elvis $15 million each year than pay Kemp $21 million each year. I really expect Elvis to have a much better season in 2015 and that he won't seem nearly as overpaid as some think he will.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kemp's contract will kill us long term. He will be 35 when the contract is finished and will be making $21.5 million each of those years. I think I would rather pay Elvis $15 million each year than pay Kemp $21 million each year. I really expect Elvis to have a much better season in 2015 and that he won't seem nearly as overpaid as some think he will.

One contract is over in 5 years. The other is over after 9 more years. I don't like either contract, but I've been fed up with EA well before last year. There's no question the line-up would be better with a healthy Kemp and a healthy Profar compared to EA. The healthy part is the risk, but if EA doesn't have a good year, nobody will want that contract. Kemp and his power will always be tradeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind we need a back up CF too. We almost have to use some of these youngsters. Then there is Choo. Not the best on defense. The budget will not support all our needs. #1 is pitching.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One contract is over in 5 years. The other is over after 9 more years. I don't like either contract, but I've been fed up with EA well before last year. There's no question the line-up would be better with a healthy Kemp and a healthy Profar compared to EA. The healthy part is the risk, but if EA doesn't have a good year, nobody will want that contract. Kemp and his power will always be tradeable.

And Elvis is about 4 years younger than Kemp so that part balances out. I don't think the health part can be glossed over at all. Kemp's or especially Profar's.

I think we have a profound difference of opinion regarding Elvis and what he can give us going forward and that is the crux of our disagreement. We shall see.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind we need a back up CF too. We almost have to use some of these youngsters. Then there is Choo. Not the best on defense. The budget will not support all our needs. #1 is pitching.

I would use Jared Hoying as our backup CF.