• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying I wasn't on-board with his signing would be an understatement. But again, JD did his job quite well. He tends to do that more times than not.

I liked the AJ and Berkman signing. Probably because there wasn't anything else. They both started off looking like good signings. I will admit I bragged a little about both. Berkman ended up being a complete joke.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long as they stay away from old astros. No more Oswalt and Berkmans...please.

So you were disappointed in Roy's 5.82 ERA for us? Think how Rockies feel; he had a 8.63 for them this season.

Berkman was another signing I didn't agree with. And I think JD reached hard on this one. Berkman's legs are older than the Edsel, and had no chance of making it through this season.

You're point is taken.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the AJ and Berkman signing. Probably because there wasn't anything else. They both started off looking like good signings. I will admit I bragged a little about both. Berkman ended up being a complete joke.

I hated em both. I'd say me and JD are tied at 50/50 on these two.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were disappointed in Roy's 5.82 ERA for us? Think how Rockies feel; he had a 8.63 for them this season.

Berkman was another signing I didn't agree with. And I think JD reached hard on this one. Berkman's legs are older than the Edsel, and had no chance of making it through this season.

You're point is taken.
Desperate times I suppose...

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough is enough, he needs to go. I wanted the guy to come around as much as anyone, but no more.

and please save the Chris Davis lectures folks. JD can't sit on someone forever

Nothing to lecture about, but the questions of how did we wind up with such a gaping hole at first base and why did Davis have to go to Baltimore to hit a gazillion home runs seem to be fair game. Billionaires tend to ask that kind of stuff and "shit happens" doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just figured if Berkman could stay healthy he would at least have a high OBP.

This guy could barely run. I meanly barely, barely run! There was no chance whatsoever of him making it through the season.

I liked Lance, and still do. But he'll be fortunate to not be Earl Campbell in the very near future. And I say this with no pun or fun intended. He's headed toward a life in a wheel chair I fear.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desperate times I suppose...

Were you the one saying we needed to be more proactive this off season? Someone did and I think it's a pretty good point. The Rangers should have never been in a position where Lance Berkman was our best option at any position, IMO.

Money doesn't seem to be an obstacle with this franchise. I don't want us to be the Angels or Dodgers, but if McCann is the guy on JD's radar as a must have, then tell the wallets to forget the pony for Christmas and give me this catcher instead.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lainey: Not just Chris Davis. Adrian Gonzalez.

Excellent point.

The trade of Gonzalez was, I believe, JD's first year on the job. So I'm gonna give him some slack on this move. Agreed, the move sucked.

But Davis, according to him in his own words, has clearly stated he would never, ever have been the player he is today had he stayed in Texas. I believe him.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point.

The trade of Gonzalez was, I believe, JD's first year on the job. So I'm gonna give him some slack on this move. Agreed, the move sucked.

But Davis, according to him in his own words, has clearly stated he would never, ever have been the player he is today had he stayed in Texas. I believe him.
Fully agree with you. JD took a licking with his first few trades. Then he hit some home runs.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You think Maddux should be the manager?

IMO ... it would be a reach for Maddux to manage ... let alone want to manage.

Someone is bound to give me an excellent example of a pitcher becoming a successful pitching coach ... and then a field manager.

What does a pitcher know about employing platoons ... lefty/righty double switches ... calling for bunts in the first inning when your leadoff batter gets on ... getting your key guys running the bases at will to the point announcers laud them for not doing it crazy-like about 5 micro seconds before they are picked off 1b ... making shrewd bullpen moves ... all that sort of manager stuff.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember bits an pieces of the 55 WS. What I remember most is that Robinson was out on the steal of home. The ump blew it.

I have a dim memory of the game on TV and being ecstatic that my Dodgers finally got past the Yankees. Back then there were pretty good odds that every WS was played in the five boroughs.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was in school and was listening to the game in class. Had one of the old 2 dollar transistor radios with the funky ear piece hid in my shirt. Almost came out of my seat in the 9 th inning.

The 60 series we had shop class 8th period and Mr. Patterson (ha ha that's ironic) let us all listen to the game. Then raced home on my bike when the bell rang to watch on our B&W rabbit ears set ... and saw Maz's HR live.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing to lecture about, but the questions of how did we wind up with such a gaping hole at first base and why did Davis have to go to Baltimore to hit a gazillion home runs seem to be fair game. Billionaires tend to ask that kind of stuff and "shit happens" doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer.

... "that's the way baseball goes" ... doesn't work either.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough is enough, he needs to go. I wanted the guy to come around as much as anyone, but no more.

and please save the Chris Davis lectures folks. JD can't sit on someone forever
And that includes Moreland too I would imagine.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... "that's the way baseball goes" ... doesn't work either.

the problem is, sometimes it is the way it goes. There aren't always clear cut answers why someone suddenly starts hitting and/or suddenly cannot hit...or never really becomes a hitter.

He's cheap, I'll grant that...so you could spend the money somewhere else if you're going to give him another chance

Status
Not open for further replies.