• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall Roger Maris making a perfect relay throw in that game that possibly saved a run. Also, I think Ralph Terry was the winning pitcher in that 7th game and also the pitcher who gave up the Mazeroski homer.

Damn! That's one good memory ya got there. Good pick up.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would still start him out at AA like Martin did ... if TEX were to go all out for him.

The Cuban guys have raw talent but have shown to have technique gaps on the field. Dominican and Venezuelan guys get better instruction as they develop that the Cubans miss out on.
His being a first baseman makes that less of a worry. However, the bat speed is an issue.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ had a terrific year and played better - both with the bat and glove - than I expected. But if we can get McCann, this is a pretty easy decision on who catches next season. Also, keep Soto.

Some seem to think Moreland is going to get another look next season. I have mixed emotions on it, but looking at his injury problems, and his up/down - mainly down - stats, to me it's time to look elsewhere.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn! That's one good memory ya got there. Good pick up.

I was in school and was listening to the game in class. Had one of the old 2 dollar transistor radios with the funky ear piece hid in my shirt. Almost came out of my seat in the 9 th inning.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ had a terrific year and played better - both with the bat and glove - than I expected. But if we can get McCann, this is a pretty easy decision on who catches next season. Also, keep Soto.

Some seem to think Moreland is going to get another look next season. I have mixed emotions on it, but looking at his injury problems, and his up/down - mainly down - stats, to me it's time to look elsewhere.
I would say he had an average to slightly above average year offensively. He was very lazy behind the plate and didn't frame pitches very well at all.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some people forget that Mitch was playing very well before he got hurt this year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he had an average to slightly above average year offensively. He was very lazy behind the plate and didn't frame pitches very well at all.

You're right about the average. But I was surprised, this being his 16th season, he didn't fall off considerably. Probably didn't state my point very clearly.

He's never been considered a good defensive catcher, and still isn't. But again, he was better than I thought he'd be. Actually, I thought he was much better overall than I expected, because I thought we were going to get an over-the-hill catcher who's bat had slowed to a crawl.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people forget that Mitch was playing very well before he got hurt this year.

And that's about it. He has been terrible pre and post injury. Well, maybe not terrible, but not worth the time he has been given.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right about the average. But I was surprised, this being his 16th season, he didn't fall off considerably. Probably didn't state my point very clearly.

He's never been considered a good defensive catcher, and still isn't. But again, he was better than I thought he'd be. Actually, I thought he was much better overall than I expected, because I thought we were going to get an over-the-hill catcher who's bat had slowed to a crawl.

I was surprised too
He was brought in to hit, and he did hit. Not sure I get all the AJ hate. Unless people actually thought he was going to reproduce 2012, which was a outlier year.

I do think he has a tendency to be lazy behind the plate, and it frustrated me to no end.
overall, good pick-up from JD.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He started extremely slow and then caught fire. But he was totally clueless for month, after month when he returned from the injury.

He's played in 134/114/147 games the past 3 years, so there's some injury concerns year in and out with him, and he's only hit about .255 during those years.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hit well enough to not be a total bust. The way he would swing at everything annoyed the bajeezus out of me.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant Must hold judgment on the ESPN quotes from Moore. As he told The Fan he never said he told anybody he was fired for being a Ryan guy

A new wrinkle...

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's about it. He has been terrible pre and post injury. Well, maybe not terrible, but not worth the time he has been given.

Enough is enough, he needs to go. I wanted the guy to come around as much as anyone, but no more.

and please save the Chris Davis lectures folks. JD can't sit on someone forever

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised too
He was brought in to hit, and he did hit. Not sure I get all the AJ hate. Unless people actually thought he was going to reproduce 2012, which was a outlier year.

I do think he has a tendency to be lazy behind the plate, and it frustrated me to no end.
overall, good pick-up from JD.

Saying I wasn't on-board with his signing would be an understatement. But again, JD did his job quite well. He tends to do that more times than not.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Moreland another chance, but would have a back-up plan (Abreu) if he gets hurt again. The last thing I want to do is give up on another 1st baseman too early.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant @Evan_P_Grant Must hold judgment on the ESPN quotes from Moore. As he told The Fan he never said he told anybody he was fired for being a Ryan guy

A new wrinkle...

hmmmm, I was right, go ahead and say I was right. :D

Ryan may have gone ballistic and had it pulled back, or maybe someone did take it out of context

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying I wasn't on-board with his signing would be an understatement. But again, JD did his job quite well. He tends to do that more times than not.
Long as they stay away from old astros. No more Oswalt and Berkmans...please.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hated the guy and the signing, I was wrong

lol, seriously

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough is enough, he needs to go. I wanted the guy to come around as much as anyone, but no more.

and please save the Chris Davis lectures folks. JD can't sit on someone forever

Actually, he'd gotten his avg. up to the upper .280s before he got hurt. He was smoking. But he gets hurt every frigging year.

But I'm with ya. Maybe he'll become the next Chris Davis with a change of scenery. But I'll take this chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.