• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 60 series we had shop class 8th period and Mr. Patterson (ha ha that's ironic) let us all listen to the game. Then raced home on my bike when the bell rang to watch on our B&W rabbit ears set ... and saw Maz's HR live.

I don't recall watching much of the 60 or 61 series on TV. I know I did, just don't recall it. Only saw replays of the Maz home run.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall watching much of the 60 or 61 series on TV. I know I did, just don't recall it. Only saw replays of the Maz home run.
AL, you can watch it again. 1960 highlights of game 7 on YouTube.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he'd gotten his avg. up to the upper .280s before he got hurt. He was smoking. But he gets hurt every frigging year.

But I'm with ya. Maybe he'll become the next Chris Davis with a change of scenery. But I'll take this chance.

Chris Davis was even worse than Moreland here after that initial season... and people complained even more about him getting chance after chance to prove it again

Adrian Gonzalez never really got a fair shake and was made expendable by Texeira, in the end it wasn't that we traded Gonzalez, its that we got nothing close to fair value for him

A closer and a mediocre starter was not enough of a return for Gonzalez, but what I recall about that move is that it was pushed on JD to do something with Gonzalez and quick and JD rushed it and made a bad trade and ownership wanted to appear to be doing something, I think that trade was truly a learning experience for JD (don't listen to ownership)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Davis was even worse than Moreland here after that initial season... and people complained even more about him getting chance after chance to prove it again

Adrian Gonzalez never really got a fair shake and was made expendable by Texeira, in the end it wasn't that we traded Gonzalez, its that we got nothing close to fair value for him

A closer and a mediocre starter was not enough of a return for Gonzalez, but what I recall about that move is that it was pushed on JD to do something with Gonzalez and quick and JD rushed it and made a bad trade and ownership wanted to appear to be doing something, I think that trade was truly a learning experience for JD (don't listen to ownership)

yeah....sound advice....never listen to the guy writing your pay check.

But hey, JD was all of 25/26 and had never been in the position to make the "ultimate" call. I wouldn't trade Daniels for anyone else in the majors myself. And you?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember this trade? It was a horrid move, from a horrid organization.

Wasn't this in the Eddie Chiles era? Nothing worked, and couldn't because the Rangers signed everyone/anyone with a name and played for today like there was no possibility of tomorrow.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember this trade? It was a horrid move, from a horrid organization.

Wasn't this in the Eddie Chiles era? Nothing worked, and couldn't because the Rangers signed everyone/anyone with a name and played for today like there was no possibility of tomorrow.

Tom Hicks

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Hicks

Sorta same-same from an UO and Longhorn standpoint. haha

Obviously you remember the many, many years - regardless of ownership - where we were the at the bottom and looking up.

The trade included Dallas's own, Chris Young - who at the time was a "potentially" big time starter. Highland Park kid, all 6'8" of him, and Princeton grad.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta same-same from an UO and Longhorn standpoint. haha

Obviously you remember the many, many years - regardless of ownership - where we were the at the bottom and looking up.

The trade included Dallas's own, Chris Young - who at the time was a "potentially" big time starter. Highland Park kid, all 6'8" of him, and Princeton grad.

Never saw Chris Young's name in print without Highland Park added on.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article on Post Mortem Thread.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you guys think you'll resign Cruz?

Yes -- but not for the number of years his old agents asked for back in ST.

If TEX were not to sign Cruz... then that would put heavy pressure for them to sign or trade for a Cruz replacement output plus the increased output they need to return to 2012 output level.

So the $40mil uncommitted needs to cover ... signing Cruz, attempt at signing McCann, potentially signing Napoli and potentially a new Nathan deal. IMO ... that's going to cost more like $50-60mil.

Another COF like Choo to play LF with Cruz DHing ... may not be in the budget.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah....sound advice....never listen to the guy writing your pay check.

But hey, JD was all of 25/26 and had never been in the position to make the "ultimate" call. I wouldn't trade Daniels for anyone else in the majors myself. And you?

slight exaggeration, but point remains, he's put himself in a position to tell ownership that they should listen to & trust him and provide him a budget to do what he's got to do

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes -- but not for the number of years his old agents asked for back in ST.

If TEX were not to sign Cruz... then that would put heavy pressure for them to sign or trade for a Cruz replacement output plus the increased output they need to return to 2012 output level.

So the $40mil uncommitted needs to cover ... signing Cruz, attempt at signing McCann, potentially signing Napoli and potentially a new Nathan deal. IMO ... that's going to cost more like $50-60mil.

Another COF like Choo to play LF with Cruz DHing ... may not be in the budget.

Why give Nathan a new deal? he's going to be pushing 40 after/if they take the option on his current deal for next year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why give Nathan a new deal? he's going to be pushing 40 after/if they take the option on his current deal for next year

he can opt out so if they want to keep him they may have to consider adding to the deal to get him to stay.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I said: "... and potentially a new Nathan deal". He's not an FA but with his 2012 and 2013 appearances he can void the $9.5mil team option. TEX can turn to Soria, Feliz or Scheppers as alternatives ... or go with Nathan to include reworking his 2014 option.

Status
Not open for further replies.