• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonys is just 23, cost a little over 4 mill a year for a couple of more years, had 14 OF assists, 36 SB and has some nice tools. He showed us at times he has some more to learn at the MLB level but for his first real time in the big leagues I like the raw talent that is there. It just needs some more refining.

i agree but i still think that a combo CF of him and Gentry will pay major dividends

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios is a good hitter. I think Gentry would have to have one hell of a ST to beat out Martin. I see Gentry as a 4th OF, and always have.

Numbers for 3 years now have disagreed with you and others, this isn't a small sample size here

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree but i still think that a combo CF of him and Gentry will pay major dividends
Scotty I agree with you. Gentry is as good as any CF I've seen around the league. On the offensive side, he showed lots of potential with OBP and speed. Too much talent to ignore.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers for Rios?

I clearly quoted the Gentry comment, so I don't know why you quoted me on that and brought up Rios

however Rios is being paid 12.5 million, he's going to play... and based on how he did here, deservedly so

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clearly quoted the Gentry comment, so I don't know why you quoted me on that and brought up Rios

however Rios is being paid 12.5 million, he's going to play... and based on how he did here, deservedly so

You responded to a comment I made about Rios, and Gentry. That's why.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gentry and know that he's a good OF, and hitter. However, like I said, I believe he would have to have an awesome ST to take the job from Martin. I like Gentry as the platoon OF. His numbers that you refer to are in that role.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gentry and know that he's a good OF, and hitter. However, like I said, I believe he would have to have an awesome ST to take the job from Martin. I like Gentry as the platoon OF. His numbers that you refer to are in that role.

Not strictly that role, he's had plenty of chances at extended play and has done well in those chances

My point is, fine get a LF, but there are more pressing issues than improving LF, I would classify catcher and 1B as those need areas

Based on Gentry's numbers, anyone we sign is a marginal upgrade there probably

at 1B, someone like Napoli would be a pretty sizable upgrade over what Moreland has provided

McCann would be a pretty sizable upgrade at C

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put Gentry's numbers in perspective (not saying he's better, just showing his value) 3.4 WAR last year in 287 plate appearances, Stanton put up 2.3 in 504

Last 2 years, Stanton has 8 WAR in 1005 plate appearances, Gentry had 6.2 in 556, and remember WAR is a counting stat that accumulates with more playing time

Why people wouldn't want that on the field on a regular basis boggles my mind

Sit Gentry against tough RHPs, like Hernandez, Scherzer? perhaps, but not all RHPs, guy should be getting 450 plate appearances a year at this rate

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty I agree with you. Gentry is as good as any CF I've seen around the league. On the offensive side, he showed lots of potential with OBP and speed. Too much talent to ignore.

He'll be 30 years old next month. So the potential side has come and gone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but have serious reservations about him being a 450+ AB in LF, and I wouldn't even consider rotating him any longer with Martin in CF. Think he's perfect, and I mean prefect as our 4th OF, and perhaps a full time platoon in LF.

Martin is the Rangers CF for the foreseeable future.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put Gentry's numbers in perspective (not saying he's better, just showing his value) 3.4 WAR last year in 287 plate appearances, Stanton put up 2.3 in 504

Last 2 years, Stanton has 8 WAR in 1005 plate appearances, Gentry had 6.2 in 556, and remember WAR is a counting stat that accumulates with more playing time

Sit Gentry against tough RHPs, like Hernandez, Scherzer? perhaps, but not all RHPs, guy should be getting 450 plate appearances a year at this rate

It's simple. Power and RBI's. Having Leonys and Gentry in LF and CF will not help us score more runs. We did that part of this year. You can make a case for needing a COF, 1st, and C. I don't see us overpaying for McCann so that leads me to believe we will upgrade in the OF. As we should IMO. I wish there were more options at C. I think players like Morales and Nelly will be signed. Morales can DH/1st, and Nelly DH/COF. I would like Napoli to come back, but I highly doubt he leaves Boston.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I may be wrong about Gentry and his ability to be in the lineup for 450+ AB. Good stats you have here.

He's one of those players, at least to me, when he's in the game, he keeps the pressure on the defense with his speed and savvy. His defense is beyond criticism. I just don't want him to reach that "over exposed" area.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be 30 years old next month. So the potential side has come and gone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but have serious reservations about him being a 450+ AB in LF, and I wouldn't even consider rotating him any longer with Martin in CF. Think he's perfect, and I mean prefect as our 4th OF, and perhaps a full time platoon in LF.

Martin is the Rangers CF for the foreseeable future.

I agree.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple. Power and RBI's. Having Leonys and Gentry in LF and CF will not help us score more runs. We did that part of this year. You can make a case for needing a COF, 1st, and C. I don't see us overpaying for McCann so that leads me to believe we will upgrade in the OF. As we should IMO. I wish there were more options at C. I think players like Morales and Nelly will be signed. Morales can DH/1st, and Nelly DH/COF. I would like Napoli to come back, but I highly doubt he leaves Boston.

Whatta ya got in mind for Nap if he comes back here? He may be good to catch a few - like less than 10, or perhaps none - so he's no option as a BU there. His value is at first, DH IMO. But I can't imagine the Sox not wanting him back, and why he'd want to leave either. I honestly expect Mitch to get another opportunity as the full time 1st baseman.

I agree with ya somewhat on the RBI situation for next season. But if we make a commitment to become a pitching defense team, then maybe Gentry's value skyrockets for me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say pitching/defensive type team. Oops

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatta ya got in mind for Nap if he comes back here? He may be good to catch a few - like less than 10, or perhaps none - so he's no option as a BU there. His value is at first, DH IMO. But I can't imagine the Sox not wanting him back, and why he'd want to leave either. I honestly expect Mitch to get another opportunity as the full time 1st baseman.

I agree with ya somewhat on the RBI situation for next season. But if we make a commitment to become a pitching defense team, then maybe Gentry's value skyrockets for me.

I've said the same about Mitch. I think Napoli is done catching, unless it's an emergency. Like you said, he will be 1st/DH. We were a pitching team this year, and it didn't work. The fans don't like it either. JD better upgrade the line-up and win the fans back. This Nolan/JD shit has a lot of fans questioning him (I'm not one of them).

Gentry has a place on this team, and it's an important one. Martin is seen as the future, and I'm hoping he takes another step in that direction this year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said the same about Mitch. I think Napoli is done catching, unless it's an emergency. Like you said, he will be 1st/DH. We were a pitching team this year, and it didn't work. The fans don't like it either. JD better upgrade the line-up and win the fans back. This Nolan/JD shit has a lot of fans questioning him (I'm not one of them).

Gentry has a place on this team, and it's an important one. Martin is seen as the future, and I'm hoping he takes another step in that direction this year.

You get exactly this many arguments from me on anything you've said. ZERO

But let me ask you this: If the Rangers had "pitched" themselves into the WS or even the battle for AL championship, do you think the fans would've viewed this as "didn't work?" We were pretty close too.

And do keep in mind a few things: (1) Our stadium is no longer conducive for power hitters. (2) We have - at least potentially - a dominating pitching staff. (3) A decent GM can't over react to yearly demands/expectations of fans. Right or wrong.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get exactly this many arguments from me on anything you've said. ZERO

But let me ask you this: If the Rangers had "pitched" themselves into the WS or even the battle for AL championship, do you think the fans would've viewed this as "didn't work?" We were pretty close too.

And do keep in mind a few things: (1) Our stadium is no longer conducive for power hitters. (2) We have - at least potentially - a dominating pitching staff. (3) A decent GM can't over react to yearly demands/expectations of fans. Right or wrong.

"IF" we made it to the ALDS we would've had an even harder time trying to score runs. I believe no matter the outcome, the majority of the fans would still upgrades to the offense. We don't have anyone that fits in the 3 hole. That is a major problem.

For the record, I hate what they did to the ballpark. We do have a dominating pitching staff, but I think the best teams have both. Look at Boston. I wouldn't consider them to have a dominating staff by any means. Although their pitchers have overachieved in the playoffs IMO. Their line-up and chemistry is the reason they are where they are. Same thing we had in 2010-2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"IF" we made it to the ALDS we would've had an even harder time trying to score runs. I believe no matter the outcome, the majority of the fans would still upgrades to the offense. We don't have anyone that fits in the 3 hole. That is a major problem.

For the record, I hate what they did to the ballpark. We do have a dominating pitching staff, but I think the best teams have both. Look at Boston. I wouldn't consider them to have a dominating staff by any means. Although their pitchers have overachieved in the playoffs IMO. Their line-up and chemistry is the reason they are where they are. Same thing we had in 2010-2012.

Like I said, I really don't disagree with your points. And even decent teams need players (hitters) to fill the roll intended, like someone has to hit 3rd, 7th, whatever.

I'm sorry, I think Boston has lived a charmed life this season. Maybe that's fair, because they too had to put up with maybe the most obnoxious person in the history of life in the form of one Bobby Valentine just so recently. We'll find up within a few nights won't we? Maybe, like one.

And it does seem like the Rangers went from a power/decent pitching team to pitching/defense/punch-and Judy offense overnight. Not good for fandom for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.