• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always like Beltran, but I just don't see us signing him. I saw somewhere that they were predicting Choo to get 6/100. I'm not interested in that either. I doubt he gets that much though. We might have to trade for our COF. There's so many possibilities. I just don't want him to miss out on everyone again. We have the money, so use it. JD needs to reassure the fans that he's got this under control. Otherwise, attendance will be under 3 million next year.

I know, Beltran seems to be a reach....tearing it up in the postseason isn't helping either, zing goes his price (I assume)...I know good postseason play is not a new thing for him.

Well, so far JD seems to kinda be setting the stage for "hey look, there's only so much we can do...I don't know about anything big, blah blah, cutting payroll blah blah, have to be creative"...I hope that's mostly meaningless and not actually...... 'it might be another not-so-hot offseason'

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, (no reason not to really) and say he REALLY improves the team this year.
What do I mean by really improve? Get us a dang team that takes BACK the division from the A's...doesn't have to be a WS team, I want the dang division back.

JD, no more getting BillyBeaned.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you compare a position player with a guy that is so bad defensively, he's already a DH at his age?

Kinsler can lay down his glove tomorrow, he's already proven he's a better player than Butler.

it doesn't matter, we aren't trading Kinsler for Butler....someone else maybe, but not Butler
okay "since certainty freaks you guys out" 99% chance it doesn't happen

Butler isn't great defensively, but in the 2 years he played almost exclusively at 1B he wasn't bad

The only reason he never plays there now is b/c Hosmer is that much better, not b/c Butler is that bad

Also, this is just a discussion, if you don't like it, don't comment, or bring up another topic, simple as that, bitching about a topic you don't won't get anything done

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler isn't great defensively, but in the 2 years he played almost exclusively at 1B he wasn't bad

The only reason he never plays there now is b/c Hosmer is that much better, not b/c Butler is that bad

Also, this is just a discussion, if you don't like it, don't comment, or bring up another topic, simple as that, bitching about a topic you don't won't get anything done
I disagree with your evaluation of his defense. He is very bad at first base. It would be like playing Ortiz or Young there everyday. It's a combination of Butler's ineptitude and Hosmer's ability that he will hardly ever play first. 53 innings at first base is probably pushing it. You don't want a scenario where this guy might have to play a month at first, because your starting 1B goes down.

His only value is as a bat. Ugh it gives me visions of Young playing first in NL parks to "keep his bat in the lineup." I really hate the stupid national league...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they aren't going to compete for anything. Small market or not, they will be a shitty franchise for years to come if they won't spend money to stay competitive. Kinsler's contract is not that bad when compared to the market for 2B. Cano's asking price totally changed my outlook on that contract.

if you believe that trading for Kinsler would be the difference maker then you don't know much about the Royals.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, Beltran seems to be a reach....tearing it up in the postseason isn't helping either, zing goes his price (I assume)...I know good postseason play is not a new thing for him.

Well, so far JD seems to kinda be setting the stage for "hey look, there's only so much we can do...I don't know about anything big, blah blah, cutting payroll blah blah, have to be creative"...I hope that's mostly meaningless and not actually...... 'it might be another not-so-hot offseason'

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, (no reason not to really) and say he REALLY improves the team this year.
What do I mean by really improve? Get us a dang team that takes BACK the division from the A's...doesn't have to be a WS team, I want the dang division back.

JD, no more getting BillyBeaned.

I am hoping that the cut payroll is just blowing smoke as well. JD needs to step it up. I think the last couple years have been mediocre in improving our team. Good thing we were able to get Yu otherwise it would be very negative. We cannot keep losing players and not trying to replace their production. It costs to keep things going at a high level. And no more Oswalt/Berkman deals. That reminds me too much of the old Rangers when they would sign great players on the backside of their careers.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping that the cut payroll is just blowing smoke as well. JD needs to step it up. I think the last couple years have been mediocre in improving our team. Good thing we were able to get Yu otherwise it would be very negative. We cannot keep losing players and not trying to replace their production. It costs to keep things going at a high level. And no more Oswalt/Berkman deals. That reminds me too much of the old Rangers when they would sign great players on the backside of their careers.

Good observation on the "old Ranger ways." Bring in Bud Harrelson and Mickey Rivers, eh?

JD did bring in the best arm out there late in the season. Garza just didn't work out well, and and now we've lost some decent youngsters in the process.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your evaluation of his defense. He is very bad at first base. It would be like playing Ortiz or Young there everyday. It's a combination of Butler's ineptitude and Hosmer's ability that he will hardly ever play first. 53 innings at first base is probably pushing it. You don't want a scenario where this guy might have to play a month at first, because your starting 1B goes down.

His only value is as a bat. Ugh it gives me visions of Young playing first in NL parks to "keep his bat in the lineup." I really hate the stupid national league...

Totally disagree with ya on the "stupid national league." I wish that friggin DH would go the way of the dinosaur myself. Maybe it's just me.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

take it easy Francis, I've been more than happy to discuss Butler

and ahhh, he's atrocious defensively

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good observation on the "old Ranger ways." Bring in Bud Harrelson and Mickey Rivers, eh?

JD did bring in the best arm out there late in the season. Garza just didn't work out well, and and now we've lost some decent youngsters in the process.

Garza and Rios were the right thing to do to give us a chance, personally I don't think he gave away too much, trades can always be risky.

I think I'm agreeing with you.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Butler won't kill you at 1st for a game here and there.
It's not like defense at 1B is anything like middle infield.

maybe some fans are just to attached to the player to have a sound opinion

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler won't kill you at 1st for a game here and there.
It's not like defense at 1B is anything like middle infield.

maybe some fans are just to attached to the player to have a sound opinion

and maybe some fans are too attached to making a splash trade just for the sake of making a trade. a majority of Rangers fans would look at a Butler for Kinsler trade as proof that JD needs to go

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza and Rios were the right thing to do to give us a chance, personally I don't think he gave away too much, trades can always be risky.

I think I'm agreeing with you.

I was really speaking about off season moves. I have no problems with what we did at the trade deadline this year.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just a matter of time before we lose Maddux as well. Seems any vacant head coaching position he is interested in. I can understand him wanting to take the next step up but it will be a real loss for the Rangers when he does.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just a matter of time before we lose Maddux as well. Seems any vacant head coaching position he is interested in. I can understand him wanting to take the next step up but it will be a real loss for the Rangers when he does.
Maybe JD knows this as well. He will make a good candidate for Manager for the Rangers.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and maybe some fans are too attached to making a splash trade just for the sake of making a trade. a majority of Rangers fans would look at a Butler for Kinsler trade as proof that JD needs to go

I never once talked butler for kinsler. Just agreeing that butler can get by at first. It's first base for crying out loud.

I just want profar in a Texas uni playing middle infield. I think we've seen the very best kinsler has to offer offensively and his defense remains suspect. The resistance that opinion is met with is mind blowing and I have no issue with you scotty sitting front row. It's funny the opinion is so threating to some here

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps Maddux has an opinion on the whole Ryan/JD deal and thinks he's ready to leave Texas.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Rev. I would only want Butler as a DH. He could play a few at 1st, but he's so slow he just can't play in the field. I really think I could run faster than him backwards.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never once talked butler for kinsler. Just agreeing that butler can get by at first. It's first base for crying out loud.

I just want profar in a Texas uni playing middle infield. I think we've seen the very best kinsler has to offer offensively and his defense remains suspect. The resistance that opinion is met with is mind blowing and I have no issue with you scotty sitting front row. It's funny the opinion is so threating to some here

I don't think anyone feels threatened by your opinion. I just think some question it because you're ready to give a 20 year old kid the job when he hit .230 last year. I asked you before and never got a response. Why have you seen from Profar at the plate that makes you think we can get rid of Ian and stick Profar in there? We are trying to upgrade the offense, and Profar doesn't do that.
I'm assuming you meant threatening, and not threating.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Why have you seen from Profar at the plate that makes you think we can get rid of Ian and stick Profar in there? We are trying to upgrade the offense, and Profar doesn't do that"

I assume you meant what?

also...who is we and how is we so sure they know what Profar will become? I can sure turn that table and ask what have you seen that say's profar isn't an upgrade over Kinsler. What makes you so cocky sure?

I see a switch hitter and a great swing. I see a 20 year old with a short compact swing with potential gold glove type defense skills and a plus arm. I see a smart player who will only get better being around the big club and ML coaching.

Kinsler? I see a 31 year old who best years are done....all two of um. I see suspect defense, an uppercut and getting pick off base.

basically....you see 30/30 and I see a 250 hitter getting old fast

Status
Not open for further replies.