• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty pathetic offensive team

I'm only advocating starting Gentry should we get a power DH (and can't sign Choo)
take Moreland out of the line-up and you have (for example) Beltran Fielder Beltre (in whatever order)

Profar could also add some power, we just don't for sure yet, that gives a line-up with speed and some power

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Scottie. JD will have to buy someone I think. Question is how much does he want to spend?

More likely. Wishin Choo had a different agent right now.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure why you think we would have a lower payroll if we trade for Price than Braun? Price coming here will cost us 20+ per year. A Price extension will make it harder to acquire more pieces than a trade for Braun.

I originally brought up Braun, and almost shot it down myself until I read his contract and saw how favorable it could be. Especially in the first 5 years. He will be cheaper than Choo without question during that span. For the next 5 years Braun would cost us 79 M. That's 15.8 AAV. Choo with Boras as his agent will be paid more than that, and has far less to offer.

I don't know why they even entertain the thought of trading him? They certainly have said no way.
Unless they want a big re-boot
Brewers fans may be upset at him now, they'll get over it

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure why you think we would have a lower payroll if we trade for Price than Braun? Price coming here will cost us 20+ per year. A Price extension will make it harder to acquire more pieces than a trade for Braun.

I originally brought up Braun, and almost shot it down myself until I read his contract and saw how favorable it could be. Especially in the first 5 years. He will be cheaper than Choo without question during that span. For the next 5 years Braun would cost us 79 M. That's 15.8 AAV. Choo with Boras as his agent will be paid more than that, and has far less to offer.

Too long of a commitment to a cheater and a douchebag, it might be favorable for the first 5 years, but what about after that? You're not going to get anyone to pick up that tab and you're stuck with him

Braun here til 2020? no thanks, if it was only til 2016 or something, maybe

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too long of a commitment to a cheater and a douchebag, it might be favorable for the first 5 years, but what about after that? You're not going to get anyone to pick up that tab and you're stuck with him

Braun here til 2020? no thanks, if it was only til 2016 or something, maybe

2019 - 18M
2020 - 16M

So you are telling me that nobody would pick up 34M for 2 years of Braun, with a 15M mutual option for 2021? Look at what all the players on the FA market are getting and say that again.

I have a feeling that JD will take on another contract like Braun's or Kemp's (Dodgers will pick up a lot of it) if we don't get Price.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 - 18M
2020 - 16M

So you are telling me that nobody would pick up 34M for 2 years of Braun, with a 15M mutual option for 2021? Look at what all the players on the FA market are getting and say that again.

I have a feeling that JD will take on another contract like Braun's or Kemp's (Dodgers will pick up a lot of it) if we don't get Price.

How old will he be then, Justin?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 - 18M
2020 - 16M

I'm not sure about Braun...but if the Dodgers throw in some money, I could see JD taking a look at Kemp. Although you'd think Either would be the one they would want to trade.
Meh, who knows

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How old will he be then, Justin?

In what year? He's 30 now, which is younger than Choo. The cost of FA's will continue to rise during that time. There's no way you can tell me a contending club wouldn't take that on that salary. He will be paid less than McCann over the first 5 years.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about Braun...but if the Dodgers throw in some money, I could see JD taking a look at Kemp. Although you'd think Either would be the one they would want to trade.
Meh, who knows

I just read on MLbtraderumors that the Dodgers making any of the 3 available is going to slow down the market for Ellsbury and Choo

The Dodgers have a thrown a wrench into the free agent outfield market by listening to trade offers for Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford, writes Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio in an Insider post (subscription required). Scott Boras is also a complicating factor, according to Bowden, because he represents the two top free agent outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo (#2 and #3, respectively, on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list). Bowden theorizes the other top-tier free agent outfielders may wait to sign in order to see how Boras sets the market for Ellsbury and Choo

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 - 18M
2020 - 16M

I'm not saying nobody would, I just hope its not the Rangers, not a fan... before or after PED allegations

And he's a superdouche, no thanks, hard to root for a guy like that

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying nobody would, I just hope its not the Rangers, not a fan... before or after PED allegations

And he's a superdouche, no thanks, hard to root for a guy like that

As I said when I first brought him up yesterday.... I really don't like him as a person, but I love him as a ballplayer. He is a game changer, and a 5 tool player. If he brings 7 WINS to the team then I'm all for it. If you can get the best LF in the game for cheaper (salary wise) than the FA's I would do it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said when I first brought him up yesterday.... I really don't like him as a person, but I love him as a ballplayer. He is a game changer, and a 5 tool player. If he brings 7 WINS to the team then I'm all for it. If you can get the best LF in the game for cheaper (salary wise) than the FA's I would do it.

I still say pass, I'm not for paying all that money and giving quality prospects for a player I don't even like and is an admitted past PED user

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say pass, I'm not for paying all that money and giving quality prospects for a player I don't even like and is an admitted past PED user

I certainly understand that side of it. I just know he helps us win more than any FA out there, and more than any trade candidate besides maybe CarGo, which I really don't think is available.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm divided on this one. With you on one issue and understand getting a player of his quality. Hard call. His past doesn't bother me if he's clean now but I don't want a Terrell Owens type in the club house. Clear cut case of wanting your cake and eating it too.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly understand that side of it. I just know he helps us win more than any FA out there, and more than any trade candidate besides maybe CarGo, which I really don't think is available.

Would be much quicker as well. Do it all in next weeks meetin instead of having Boras (and Jay Z) drag it out til next year and still have to pay a gazillion.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on MLbtraderumors that the Dodgers making any of the 3 available is going to slow down the market for Ellsbury and Choo

The Dodgers have a thrown a wrench into the free agent outfield market by listening to trade offers for Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford, writes Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio in an Insider post (subscription required). Scott Boras is also a complicating factor, according to Bowden, because he represents the two top free agent outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo (#2 and #3, respectively, on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list). Bowden theorizes the other top-tier free agent outfielders may wait to sign in order to see how Boras sets the market for Ellsbury and Choo

Makes sense, Kemp wouldn't have been my first choice...but if they would eat some of that salary, I'm good....then it's back to what do you trade

I think you're argument for Braun has merit, I just haven't heard a lick that makes me believe they want to trade him
little that may mean...

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Choo helps just as much as Braun, doesn't cost prospects and actually fills the leadoff hole we have right now

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be much quicker as well. Do it all in next weeks meetin instead of having Boras (and Jay Z) drag it out til next year and still have to pay a gazillion.

The Yankees supposedly said no way to Cano dragging it out, he has a time frame to decide but of course, we don't know what that is.
But, it helps us if it's true, at least we know more about Choo ideally sooner (as I already mentioned)

I guess the overall point is now I'm looking at the Yankees moves on Beltran and Cano...as much as our own

Status
Not open for further replies.