• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nice to have something to discuss. This waiting game is getting tiring.

Never did like this part of the offseason. Next weeks winter meetings should pick things up. Hopefully, Terps can talk about the Price meeting tomorrow. Boras may drag the Choo signing out. But I see a very boring Jan and Feb. baseball wise.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nice to have something to discuss. This waiting game is getting tiring.

Yeah so i guess now is as good a time as any to put up the Christmas lights, this isn't nearly as fun as making hypothetical trade scenarios all day!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never did like this part of the offseason. Next weeks winter meetings should pick things up. Hopefully, Terps can talk about the Price meeting tomorrow. Boras may drag the Choo signing out. But I see a very boring Jan and Feb. baseball wise.
This is my 1st winter season on the board. So much fun during the regular season that I'm getting anxious. It will really be exciting if we get all the pieces. You know, Manle , Maris and Bench.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree
I do fear that Choo's price is climbing, Boras has the upper hand with teams needing Choo and has no need to move quickly, he'll let it climb...not tons of great options for OF's

There was also a remark on MLBTR, that we were after Choo, but we would be out (a statement from the F.O.) (naturally) if the current asking price held. I think it's going to hold.
It's concerning.
In any-case, I don't think we hear a word about Choo until January, Boras, again.... because of the market, can take his time.

I don't even expect anything out of the Winter Meetings, hope I'm wrong.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree
I do fear that Choo's price is climbing, Boras has the upper hand with teams needing Choo and has no need to move quickly, he'll let it climb...not tons of great options for OF's

There was also a remark on MLBTR, that we were after Choo, but we would be out (a statement from the F.O.) (naturally) if the current asking price held. I think it's going to hold.
It's concerning.
In any-case, I don't think we hear a word about Choo until January, Boras, again.... because of the market, can take his time.

I could see nothing happening myself as well at the meeting. But something could trigger activity. JD would upgrade that outfield even without Choo if need be. Sure Boras will be at the meeting. He better be.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree

It's concerning.

Does that mean Gentry starts?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean Gentry starts?

Had we signed McMann, (along with the Fielder trade). I think one could argue to give Gentry the start, I would have been okay with it.

I fear we still need more hitting/power than Fielder can provide by himself, and likely JD will try to upgrade the OF which likely puts Gentry on the bench.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had we signed McMann, (along with the Fielder trade). I think one could argue to give Gentry the start, I would have been okay with it.

I fear we still need more hitting/power than Fielder can provide by himself, and likely JD will try to upgrade the OF which likely puts Gentry on the bench.
We must get more power or we have just been spinning wheels. Who is available that is affordable?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We must get more power or we have just been spinning wheels. Who is available that is affordable?

well, if we are talking about the big bats...
Beltran for two years, (maybe an option for 3) but the Yanks are really after him. (if rumors are to be believed)

I'd like a situation where we could get Beltran for two, have him DH and give Gentry the spot. I don't think Beltran would be very happy about DH'ing...it's a pipe dream

The thing that could help us with Choo, is to see the Yankees start to sign players. They still want to stay under the threshold for this season.

Cano is kinda screwing us all, if the Yankees could sign him, I think our chances jump for getting Choo. The Dodgers shouldn't be in play for Choo. (they have too many OF's) There are other teams that want him, but getting the Yankees out of the way, gives us a better shot...imo

After that, nothing really thrills me...but we'll eventually see what JD comes up with

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Butler....but who knows what the Royals would want

Cruz asking price has to come down. He maybe trying to scare people off and come with us at a different amount. Can't see him getting 75 for 4.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz asking price has to come down. He maybe trying to scare people off and come with us at a different amount. Can't see him getting 75 for 4.
Me either but he like Butler will be asked to d/h. But desperation could change that.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't see it either, almost 19mil a year? freaking crazy...

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either but he like Butler will be asked to d/h. But desperation could change that.

We gotta first see what happens with Price. If this actually happens, doubt we have any pieces worth trading for anyone. If it doesn't, maybe best way to get the outfielder we want instead of money whipping anyone to come here. As Lainey said, Boras holds the cards.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta first see what happens with Price. If this actually happens, doubt we have any pieces worth trading for anyone. If it doesn't, maybe best way to get the outfielder we want instead of money whipping anyone to come here. As Lainey said, Boras holds the cards.
I really like Gentry but we just don't need light bats.
Gentry
Elvis
Profar
Martin
Soto
Moreland

These guys until proven differently are not big run producers. All are great other than offense. Looks pretty week when listed. Moreland and Soto could bust out.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Gentry but we just don't need light bats.
Gentry
Elvis
Profar
Martin
Soto
Moreland

These guys until proven differently are not big run producers. All are great other than offense. Looks pretty week when listed. Moreland and Soto could bust out.

pretty pathetic offensive team

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying pull the trigger on braun? I don't really know what our next move would be if we did this. Our outfield would be sured up, and even though he is only owed like 10 mil next year, I don't really know if we would have enough money to sign anyone of significance

I'm still not sure why you think we would have a lower payroll if we trade for Price than Braun? Price coming here will cost us 20+ per year. A Price extension will make it harder to acquire more pieces than a trade for Braun.

I originally brought up Braun, and almost shot it down myself until I read his contract and saw how favorable it could be. Especially in the first 5 years. He will be cheaper than Choo without question during that span. For the next 5 years Braun would cost us 79 M. That's 15.8 AAV. Choo with Boras as his agent will be paid more than that, and has far less to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.