• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter meetings this week or next?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Braun, and I think I'd be fine with taking on his contract. But if we have to make the same trade for Price as we will for braun I just don't know. I want to be able to upgrade at the deadline, if possible, and if we have no pieces to trade then we can't. The fact is, right now everyone is speculating how good we will be. "Oh prince will be great and our rotation is gonna be amazing" and blah blah blah, but nothing has happened yet, and we'll REALLY know whats going on in July. By that time, I want to be able to make a move if we can. If we can acquire braun simply by taking on the salary and trading moreland, while keeping our top prospects, then THATS when I think we go for it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Braun, and I think I'd be fine with taking on his contract. But if we have to make the same trade for Price as we will for braun I just don't know. I want to be able to upgrade at the deadline, if possible, and if we have no pieces to trade then we can't. The fact is, right now everyone is speculating how good we will be. "Oh prince will be great and our rotation is gonna be amazing" and blah blah blah, but nothing has happened yet, and we'll REALLY know whats going on in July. By that time, I want to be able to make a move if we can. If we can acquire braun simply by taking on the salary and trading moreland, while keeping our top prospects, then THATS when I think we go for it.

Problem with waiting till then is with the additional wild card slot the trading market dries up significantly. Teams that might otherwise sell still see themselves as "in it" and are more inclined to hold onto their pieces. The tone to improve your team is before the season starts. There is far less movement at the deadline than there used to be due to the second wild card.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point. It would be a shame though if we were to trade for braun and then not even be given the opportunity to trade for, lets say a pitcher (if many unfortunate events were to unfold like last year). There are definitely less "sellers" at the deadline, but we can't pursue ANY of those opportunities if we have nothing to give them in the first place

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point. It would be a shame though if we were to trade for braun and then not even be given the opportunity to trade for, lets say a pitcher (if many unfortunate events were to unfold like last year). There are definitely less "sellers" at the deadline, but we can't pursue ANY of those opportunities if we have nothing to give them in the first place

You can't manage in fear. Imo we're miles away from being in the position the angels are in with their farm. Honestly, I'm not sure those deadline deals are always that beneficial anyways. I mean look at what dumpsterand Garza did for us.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with waiting till then is with the additional wild card slot the trading market dries up significantly. Teams that might otherwise sell still see themselves as "in it" and are more inclined to hold onto their pieces. The tone to improve your team is before the season starts. There is far less movement at the deadline than there used to be due to the second wild card.

Too bad there was the 2nd WC last year and the Rays were still hanging in there, or we might could have gotten Price at the deadline vs Garza and for just a couple more prospects?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't manage in fear. Imo we're miles away from being in the position the angels are in with their farm. Honestly, I'm not sure those deadline deals are always that beneficial anyways. I mean look at what dumpsterand Garza did for us.

So you're saying pull the trigger on braun? I don't really know what our next move would be if we did this. Our outfield would be sured up, and even though he is only owed like 10 mil next year, I don't really know if we would have enough money to sign anyone of significance

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying pull the trigger on braun? I don't really know what our next move would be if we did this. Our outfield would be sured up, and even though he is only owed like 10 mil next year, I don't really know if we would have enough money to sign anyone of significance

I think Braun would go a long way to helping our offense and then you could add say an Ervin Santana piece or similar barring the contract isn't absurd and you have a contender for certain

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't speaking to anything specific. Just commenting on your notion that we need to have bullets in the gun in July. From what I've seen the last two years of the second wild card spot there's very few targets worth gunning for at the deadline, and those that are have very high costs.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if you could add Braun for say his full contract plus Moreland, Gentry, and Odor or Sardinas and then call up Engel Beltre and sign Baker to back up fielder and as utility guy and Taylor Teagarden to back up Soto? Still leaves a few question marks as far as production at the bottom of the line-up but I think this makes the team better than say adding Choo(cheaper on front end) and a Navarro. Just throwing another scenario out there, blast it if you want

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin CF
Andrus SS
Braun LF
Beltre 3B
Fielder 1B
Rios RF
Baker DH
Soto C
Profar 2B

more speculating or hypothetical nonsense

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin CF
Andrus SS
Braun LF
Beltre 3B
Fielder 1B
Rios RF
Baker DH
Soto C
Profar 2B

more speculating or hypothetical nonsense

if that equals 190+ HR and 800+ runs we win the division even if we need Tepesch as the 5th starter

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if you could add Braun for say his full contract plus Moreland, Gentry, and Odor or Sardinas and then call up Engel Beltre and sign Baker to back up fielder and as utility guy and Taylor Teagarden to back up Soto? Still leaves a few question marks as far as production at the bottom of the line-up but I think this makes the team better than say adding Choo(cheaper on front end) and a Navarro. Just throwing another scenario out there, blast it if you want

If memory serves me right Teagarden is with Baltimore and we did not offer Baker a contract. Odor and Sardinas need to get every day playing time at AA. They are not big league ready.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read a lot of previous posts and just want to put my 2 cents in,

starting with Price....trading for him will make our rotation elite and able to compete with the best of rotations. I have been on the fence as to whether or not they should actually pull the trigger on him and it made me think about who we have coming up in our minors that could compete for a rotation spot in a couple years and the only one that really comes to mind is LJ.

We really dont have any pitching specs that are close to ML ready so landing and extending Price would solidify our rotation for years and cover a big gap that we have for pitchers coming up through our system. Not to mention I dont see another ace being available vis trade or FA anytime soon so if we happen to need another frontline starter down the road I just dont see anyone that will be available. The Dodgers are not going to let Kershaw leave.

now to Braun......I didnt get a chance to read the articles on what it would take to get Braun, but just a week or 2 ago werent the Mets in talks with the Brewers about an Ike Davis for Braun deal? I mean im not sure how much of the was true or not, but I believe I saw it on MLBTR and to me it just sounded like they are wanting to just get him out of there and start over as an organization after all the crap publicity he brought to them.

So I dont think it would cost much at all in terms of players/specs, would think it would be more of a salary dump. Now, he would def be a great addition to our lineup, but I am not sure if he would be too much of a distraction. I think if we landed him and he played well right from the start he would be cheered, but if he is slumping, he might turn into another A-rod fiasco and I am not sure it would be worth it from the fan base perspective and team morale.

just my thoughts.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read a lot of previous posts and just want to put my 2 cents in,

starting with Price....trading for him will make our rotation elite and able to compete with the best of rotations. I have been on the fence as to whether or not they should actually pull the trigger on him and it made me think about who we have coming up in our minors that could compete for a rotation spot in a couple years and the only one that really comes to mind is LJ.

We really dont have any pitching specs that are close to ML ready so landing and extending Price would solidify our rotation for years and cover a big gap that we have for pitchers coming up through our system. Not to mention I dont see another ace being available vis trade or FA anytime soon so if we happen to need another frontline starter down the road I just dont see anyone that will be available. The Dodgers are not going to let Kershaw leave.

now to Braun......I didnt get a chance to read the articles on what it would take to get Braun, but just a week or 2 ago werent the Mets in talks with the Brewers about an Ike Davis for Braun deal? I mean im not sure how much of the was true or not, but I believe I saw it on MLBTR and to me it just sounded like they are wanting to just get him out of there and start over as an organization after all the crap publicity he brought to them.

So I dont think it would cost much at all in terms of players/specs, would think it would be more of a salary dump. Now, he would def be a great addition to our lineup, but I am not sure if he would be too much of a distraction. I think if we landed him and he played well right from the start he would be cheered, but if he is slumping, he might turn into another A-rod fiasco and I am not sure it would be worth it from the fan base perspective and team morale.

just my thoughts.

What do you mean by A-Rod fiasco?

Pretty sure he put up the two best fWAR seasons in team history.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by A-Rod fiasco?

Pretty sure he put up the two best fWAR seasons in team history.

just mainly how his image is right now and when A-rod slumped in NY while having the steroid image it was all the media and fans focused on and really took away from the game and the rest of the team. So I feel that if we got Braun and he slumped right off the bat it could bring this negative cloud over the clubhouse from the media and fans based on his PED image now.

Does that make sense?......I mean I know A-rod's image is in a whole other level lol, but I could see it being a big distraction for the clubhouse if we brought Braun in and he did not perform.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just mainly how his image is right now and when A-rod slumped in NY while having the steroid image it was all the media and fans focused on and really took away from the game and the rest of the team. So I feel that if we got Braun and he slumped right off the bat it could bring this negative cloud over the clubhouse from the media and fans based on his PED image now.

Does that make sense?......I mean I know A-rod's image is in a whole other level lol, but I could see it being a big distraction for the clubhouse if we brought Braun in and he did not perform.

Well Texas already dealt with Cruz. I would welcome Braun if he helped Texas win. That's how I view guys like that. I didn't care for Milton Bradley, but he had a hell of a year as a Ranger. I never thought Braun was a cheater as much as I thought he was an ass. Then again I don't care what guys shoot up, rub, ingest, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.