• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terps I don't know why you're saying we have a medicore rotation that isn't true. This team has very good starters maybe not enough elite talent. That's why adding price could help

Maybe mediorcre was a bad term, but do I think we would have had one of the worst rotations in the playoffs had we made it? Yes I definitely do. I think it is an above average rotation for sure, but I don't think it is STRONG or GREAT and other words people have thrown around. I think it is a rotation with a bunch of potential but also a bunch of uncertainty

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we had perez too, until he got hurt in spring training. And we had a harry that was coming off a great year, not a harry that didn't pitch for a year.

We didn't have Perez to start the year. Harry will be fine. If we don't add bats we will struggle just like last year, with or without Price.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe mediorcre was a bad term, but do I think we would have had one of the worst rotations in the playoffs had we made it? Yes I definitely do. I think it is an above average rotation for sure, but I don't think it is STRONG or GREAT and other words people have thrown around. I think it is a rotation with a bunch of potential but also a bunch of uncertainty

Wow. I disagree with that assessment 100%

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope I'm wrong, because even with all of the injuries our pitchers held up this year, for the most part.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying it is bad for the regular season. We saw last year that when out bats were down, these guys kept us in the game. Even when every 5th start seemed like a different guy, they kept us in the game. But playoffs are a different animal. As old and bullshitty as it sounds "pitching DOES win championships."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins making a push to sign AJ. They're spending a lot of money, but are they getting better? I guess they are. Nolasco was a good signing.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
? Wait why would the twins want AJ?

Think they have decided that with Morneau gone that Mauer will play 1st exclusively and they are looking for a full-time catcher

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I must've missed that news. I love mauer. Seems like a great guy, and the mlb needs more players like him.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying it is bad for the regular season. We saw last year that when out bats were down, these guys kept us in the game. Even when every 5th start seemed like a different guy, they kept us in the game. But playoffs are a different animal. As old and bullshitty as it sounds "pitching DOES win championships."

are all the main principles involved in this meeting Monday? Price, JD. Or just the reps of each? Price will help negate Oakland's fine rotation. That's for sure.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. I just heard price's agent. I'm actually very surprised it is happening. In the past, teams with the players have been very hesitant to allow the front office of another team to do that because they have to ask permission, of course. That's why I threw out the theory that they may think that they can land price, but they want to make sure they know of price's intentions before pulling a trigger of anykind.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's right. It's a above average rotation certainly not elite though

I think what you guys are saying is that we don't have 1-2 starters as good as say Verlander and Scherzer but where did that get them in the playoffs last couple years. If Harrison comes back healthy and can pitch like '11 we will be solid. We made it to and should have won the 2011 WS and I certainly believe our rotation this year is better than the rotation we had that year with Darvish vs CJ. It all about pitching well in the post season and the bats getting hot at the right time

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. I just heard price's agent. I'm actually very surprised it is happening. In the past, teams with the players have been very hesitant to allow the front office of another team to do that because they have to ask permission, of course. That's why I threw out the theory that they may think that they can land price, but they want to make sure they know of price's intentions before pulling a trigger of anykind.

Cool. Exciting times. Not sure JD would be this bold with the Fielder trade and this with Price if Nolan were still around.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. Exciting times. Not sure JD would be this bold with the Fielder trade and this with Price if Nolan were still around.

I personally think in some sort of way he is trying to show he is now the "man" and he could have pulled these type of deals off all along had Nolan not been in his way? Hope it doesn't bite us in the butt, if we mortgage a ton of young guys for him to prove a point

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's right. It's a above average rotation certainly not elite though

I wouldn't have called the Red Sox post season rotation elite this year, though they did pitch pretty darn good

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think in some sort of way he is trying to show he is now the "man" and he could have pulled these type of deals off all along had Nolan not been in his way? Hope it doesn't bite us in the butt, if we mortgage a ton of young guys for him to prove a point

I think the key if you're going to deplete the farm a bit is to do it for guys who are young and controllable enough that they can sustain your major league team for the time being until you can start to build up your farm again. The more I think about it, the more I realize the fielder move was brilliant because he only costs money. No draft picks, and no prospects.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have called the Red Sox post season rotation elite this year, though they did pitch pretty darn good

It's all about being hot at the right time.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the key if you're going to deplete the farm a bit is to do it for guys who are young and controllable enough that they can sustain your major league team for the time being until you can start to build up your farm again. The more I think about it, the more I realize the fielder move was brilliant because he only costs money. No draft picks, and no prospects.

I am thinking along those same lines and thats why Price only interests me if he doesn't cost too many prospects and could be locked up with an extension as well. The Braun conversations interest me as well because you have him locked up through 2020 and if the Brewers are down on him enough right now to sell for us paying his full contract plus a couple prospects that could prove to be a really good deal for JD

Status
Not open for further replies.