• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Petriello:
When rumors circulated last week that the Milwaukee Brewers might consider trading left fielder Ryan Braun, it generated a ton of interest around the sport. After all, this year's free-agent market is largely devoid of top-level offensive thump other than Robinson Cano, and an elite hitter like Braun would fit nicely into the lineup of nearly every contending team in baseball.

I would have thought about it seriously even with all of the problems just because he's such a good ballplayer, but I don't like his contract. Signed thru 2020, 8 yrs/$45M (08-15), 5 yrs/$105M (16-20) & 21 mutual option

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO that's overblown

David Price is misplaced resources, with the team having to open up the checkbook this offseason to fill needs, cheap young talent becomes more important going forward

And with a couple free agents being signed and the loss of at least one draft pick (if we sign 2 people and lose Cruz), then the issue is even more pressing

With most of our really good hitters a couple years away, then we're having to sign free agents this year to fill the gap

That being said, hitting was the need and pitching was mostly ok, we need a 4th/5th starter type not a David Price

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Price is misplaced resources, with the team having to open up the checkbook this offseason to fill needs, cheap young talent becomes more important going forward

And with a couple free agents being signed and the loss of at least one draft pick (if we sign 2 people and lose Cruz), then the issue is even more pressing

With most of our really good hitters a couple years away, then we're having to sign free agents this year to fill the gap

That being said, hitting was the need and pitching was mostly ok, we need a 4th/5th starter type not a David Price
All in a nut shell

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to mention the money the rangers won't be able to spend in the international market in the coming year.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Nobody told me how ridiculous the thought of trading for Braun would be? Not that I necessarily want to. He is one of the best, if not the best LF in the game though.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Nobody told me how ridiculous the thought of trading for Braun would be? Not that I necessarily want to. He is one of the best, if not the best LF in the game though.

I hate Braun, but his bat would play well in Texas. I don't care that he broke the rules. I just care that he lied in the face of allegations and drug people's names through the mud while he did it. That's pretty lame.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Braun, but his bat would play well in Texas. I don't care that he broke the rules. I just care that he lied in the face of allegations and drug people's names through the mud while he did it. That's pretty lame.

I hate him as well, and don't know that if he played here I would ever like him. I would get over all of that if he helps us win the WS.

Fielder, Beltre, Braun is the best 3,4,5 in the game. I would probably switch Fielder and Braun if it happened.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry I thought it was a rhetorical statement, not in need a response, b/c you were right his contracts going forward make him a bad investment

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I thought it was a rhetorical statement, not in need a response, b/c you were right his contracts going forward make him a bad investment

The contract is brutal, but I think you could move him in 3-4 years if you wanted to. He would have 80-100 M left (just off the top of my head). If he had some good years here you wouldn't have any problem trading the contract. Choo is going to get that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets 8M the next 2 years. Then 21M the next 2. So for 4 years of Braun it would cost 58M. That's not bad at all.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the money the rangers won't be able to spend in the international market in the coming year.

why? according to the new rules:

There won’t be an international draft this year, but the structure of how the 2013-14 bonus pools were determined is another hint that an international draft is on the horizon.

While every team received a $2.9 million international bonus pool for the current 2012-13 signing period, the 2013-14 international pools are based on reverse order of 2012 winning percentage, which means the Astros will have the most amount of money to spend, and the Nationals the least.

basically the Rangers get a international bonus pool of $1742700 that can be spent any way they want on one player or on multiple players

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets 8M the next 2 years. Then 21M the next 2. So for 4 years of Braun it would cost 58M. That's not bad at all.

You would definitely want Braun at the front side of his contract since the back end is crazy. Braun and Fielder together again would be pretty serious.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree with you jta. We have to be very careful what we would have to give up and you know that Tampa Bay would want at least one of our young pitchers.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promising update:

Some representatives from the rangers have set up a meeting with david price's agent on monday to discuss his contract if a trade was to occur. It makes you believe that they think that they can get price, but don't want to unless he's gonna extend the contract before reaching free agency.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would definitely want Braun at the front side of his contract since the back end is crazy. Braun and Fielder together again would be pretty serious.

That's true. 21M/yr isn't a ton either for the kind of numbers Braun puts up though. FA's that aren't worth 20M a year are getting it now. I think I would rather trade for Braun than Price.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? according to the new rules:

There won’t be an international draft this year, but the structure of how the 2013-14 bonus pools were determined is another hint that an international draft is on the horizon.

While every team received a $2.9 million international bonus pool for the current 2012-13 signing period, the 2013-14 international pools are based on reverse order of 2012 winning percentage, which means the Astros will have the most amount of money to spend, and the Nationals the least.

basically the Rangers get a international bonus pool of $1742700 that can be spent any way they want on one player or on multiple players

I thought the rangers far exceeded last years international budget, so they are tapped out this year

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promising update:

Some representatives from the rangers have set up a meeting with david price's agent on monday to discuss his contract if a trade was to occur. It makes you believe that they think that they can get price, but don't want to unless he's gonna extend the contract before reaching free agency.

I don't think that's very promising because I don't see any reason for him to sign an extension.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. 21M/yr isn't a ton either for the kind of numbers Braun puts up though. FA's that aren't worth 20M a year are getting it now. I think I would rather trade for Braun than Price.

Id want to see how he does off the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.