• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Martin Perez would absolutely kill me, a really young lefty that's shown some promise?
Absolutely not, unless it's a blockbuster...and that's not two years of Price

I with you all on that as well. I would not want to let someone as young and inexpensive as Perez go. Plus I have concerns about Price starting to wear down like CC and being a big game pitcher. He is only 28 but something about him just feels old. I don't count the play-in game as big game because Saunders kicked our rear ends the year before. Over 5 ERA in the post season. Now we get him for some reasonable trade pieces that is different.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From part of an article on SB Nation:
The Rays should trade David Price for shiny, inexpensive prospects. At least, that's the conventional wisdom. They'll never sign the left-hander to an extension, and he can be dealt for some of baseball's best minor-league talent. The Rays would then turn that minor-league talent into major-league talent that's underpaid for five or six seasons. It's the baseball version of geese fertilizing the same grass they eat -- a completely renewable and dependable resource.
The rumors are plentiful, and 17 out of the 21 executives Jerry Crasnick talked to think the Rays' ace will be traded:
Said an AL scout: "That's Tampa's M.O. to keep their operation sustainable and competitive with their budget. Those guys haven't drafted very well in the past 5-6 years, so these trades are the way they replenish their system."
There are a lot of reasons why the Rays would trade Price, and it's why Angels writers are speculating, Nationals writers are exploring deals, and Price himself is resigned to an eventual trade. It's almost as if the trade has already happened, and we're just waiting for the ESPN special so Price can reveal his new team on live TV.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trading Martin Perez would absolutely kill me, a really young lefty that's shown some promise?
Absolutely not, unless it's a blockbuster...and that's not two years of Price

I am with you as well and if I am not mistaken we control Perez untill or thru 2018. In 2 years from now Perez may even be the better pitcher.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see the need for a blockbuster trade for Price. Pitching isn't our problem. He's going to cost us a left nut to resign him and we still have to pay Darvish in a few years. But maybe JD is up to something from a whole plan perspective.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you as well and if I am not mistaken we control Perez untill or thru 2018. In 2 years from now Perez may even be the better pitcher.

Actually, we've got him locked up through 2020 if we pick up all the options. And his total contract through then only runs about $32 mil. That's very team friendly if he continues building on last season.

Saw this article this morning:

A's would break the bank for Cruz

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, we've got him locked up through 2020 if we pick up all the options. And his total contract through then only runs about $32 mil. That's very team friendly if he continues building on last season.

The A's would break their piggy bank for Cruz huh?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's would break their piggy bank for Cruz huh?

I can't see them doing this really. He'd have a much harder time hitting homers. And their position has always been, when in doubt, be frugal.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Knock yourselves out A's - 4 yrs at $75m is absurd. Surely A's won't consider anything close to that given how frugal they are...Cruz would be 38 years old at the end of a 4 year deal...ridiculous.

Very concerned about a Price deal depleting the farm, and any deal must include an extension..our pitching is good enough to get us to the playoffs with Harrison coming back. Maybe we lower our sights to a Hellickson if were bent on adding pitching??

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Price thing just sounds unreal right now. What a freakin rotation if we actually pull it off

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see the need for a blockbuster trade for Price. Pitching isn't our problem. He's going to cost us a left nut to resign him and we still have to pay Darvish in a few years. But maybe JD is up to something from a whole plan perspective.
Move over. Could not agree more and I keep saying pitching is not our problem at the present. We lost games that should have been won and was lost only because of negative success w/risp. i.e. Darvish four 1-0 losses. Price would have produced no better results imo. Get offense in better shape.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knock yourselves out A's - 4 yrs at $75m is absurd. Surely A's won't consider anything close to that given how frugal they are...Cruz would be 38 years old at the end of a 4 year deal...ridiculous.

Very concerned about a Price deal depleting the farm, and any deal must include an extension..our pitching is good enough to get us to the playoffs with Harrison coming back. Maybe we lower our sights to a Hellickson if were bent on adding pitching??

Couldn't agree more and more importantly....pretty sure JD does as well.
No way the rangers bring price to texas....he's not the missing link

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Price thing just sounds unreal right now. What a freakin rotation if we actually pull it off

Still not sure JD will pull the trigger on this. We would still need another bat. As is Price would join Darvish and Holland with no run support. Wonder if Price himself is in on these talks?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sure JD will pull the trigger on this. We would still need another bat. As is Price would join Darvish and Holland with no run support. Wonder if Price himself is in on these talks?

which makes signing someone like Choo even more necessary and possibly Morales

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2