• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all fine and dandy, but we are talking trade value (right now) not long term value to the Rangers. The kid hit .188 as a RH hitter. That's pretty weak for a player who was touted as the No.1 prospect in baseball. You are still not going to get as much value as you think when you start telling a trade partner about what a player might do in the future.

When you're talking about prospects (20 year old ones at that) about the only thing that matters is future value

20 year old kid struggled against LHPs, no shocker there

And the fact that he showed ANYTHING at the ML level as a 20 year old (flashes or not) speaks more to his value than detracts

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all fine and dandy, but we are talking trade value ( right now) not long term value to the Rangers. The kid hit .188 as a RH hitter. That's pretty weak for a player who was touted as the No.1 prospect in baseball. You are still not going to get as much value as you think when you start telling a trade partner about what a player might do in the future.

From what I read today, the Rangers have a higher opinion of him than do many other organizations. This is not to say he isn't of value, probably fairly high, just not as much as the Rangers think.

Ya know "potential" and $6 will get ya a great cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I hope we keep him, but it doesn't appear the FO wants to duplicate his 2013 season.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read today, the Rangers have a higher opinion of him than do many other organizations. This is not to say he isn't of value, probably fairly high, just not as much as the Rangers think.

I hope we keep him, but it doesn't appear the FO wants to duplicate his 2013 season.

No question Profar has more value to Texas and this should never be about the easier contract to move. This should be about betting the come line on Profar and pairing him with Elvis for the foreseeable future.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question Profar has more value to Texas and this should never be about the easier contract to move. This should be about betting the come line on Profar and pairing him with Elvis for the foreseeable future.

My initial inclination is, this is what's going to happen.

I can see Kins moving to 1st or, on to another organization. But if we move him, we're gonna have to eat a lot of money, unless we throw in an extra minor leaguer.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dbacks GM Kevin Towers tells the media part of the reason he fired their pitching coach is that he wants an Eye for an Eye revenge. So if you hit a homer and show up the D-backs he wants you hit. You hit their batter he wants you hit. You celebrate in his pool because you win the division...well you can guess it...he wants you hit. This guy is unstable. No wonder we couldn't work out a trade for JUPs.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dbacks GM Kevin Towers tells the media part of the reason he fired their pitching coach is that he wants an Eye for an Eye revenge. So if you hit a homer and show up the D-backs he wants you hit. You hit their batter he wants you hit. You celebrate in his pool because you win the division...well you can guess it...he wants you hit. This guy is unstable. No wonder we couldn't work out a trade for JUPs.

Does seem to have a few anger management issues.

Wouldn't that be lousy to have him as a boss?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope we keep him, too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we keep him, too.

My only problem with him taking over for Kins at 2nd is a short term one, and it is RBI production. Kins has averaged 82 of em for every 162 games. Profar is at 48 for his first season. Granted it's a very, very small sample size for young Profar. But I think to expect him, initially, to drive in the same as Kinsler would be expecting way too much.

But the Rangers can't be giving up RBI guys at this point.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only problem with him taking over for Kins at 2nd is a short term one, and it is RBI production. Kins has averaged 82 of em for every 162 games. Profar is at 48 for his first season. Granted it's a very, very small sample size for young Profar. But I think to expect him, initially, to drive in the same as Kinsler would be expecting way too much.

RBI are way more dependent on where you hit in the lineup and how often other guys are getting on base. So I wouldn't be too down on Profar just yet. If Kinsler had hit 3rd all year he would have probably driven in closer to 90 runs. Just because of the number of chances he would had compared to leading off.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RBI are way more dependent on where you hit in the lineup and how often other guys are getting on base. So I wouldn't be too down on Profar just yet. If Kinsler had hit 3rd all year he would have probably driven in closer to 90 runs. Just because of the number of chances he would had compared to leading off.

I agree with ya, and I'm not down on Profar. But considering he's still only 20, IMO it's too soon to be expecting him to drive in 75+ runs, regardless of where he hits. Actually, from what I've read, the Rangers really expect him to be a 85+ a year guy once he matures and gets some regular AB.

I'm just thinking the Rangers were woefully inadequate from an RBI standpoint this season. Especially once Cruz got suspended. So we need to get stronger at several positions from a RBI standpoint.

And for some reason, I'm getting the feeling they're going to give Moreland one last chance. Do you feel this way?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya, and I'm not down on Profar. But considering he's still only 20, IMO it's too soon to be expecting him to drive in 75+ runs, regardless of where he hits. Actually, from what I've read, the Rangers really expect him to be a 85+ a year guy once he matures and gets some regular AB.

I'm just thinking the Rangers were woefully inadequate from an RBI standpoint this season. Especially once Cruz got suspended. So we need to get stronger at several positions from a RBI standpoint.

And for some reason, I'm getting the feeling they're going to give Moreland one last chance. Do you feel this way?
They also need to get better at getting guys on more consistently. They were 10th in the league in OBP. We really need to find some guys that can give those Red Sox kind of ABs. Maybe with AJ gone Mags can have some guys in here that will work the count better.

Moreland is too cheap not to keep on the roster. Unless they trade him, which I don't think is likely, he will be on the team to start or platoon. It's much more important to fix the COF, DH, and C spots than it is Moreland. Because unless Paul Goldschmidt is up for grabs I don't know what would fix first base. Abreu is an option, but he is PRICEY.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it comes down to Kinsler or Profar, long term, I'd rather they keep Profar. I've always been a Kinsler fan, but I think we may have seen his best. The ace in the hole may be the kid at Frisco, Roughned Odor. He really came on last year and may make Profar expendable now so they can keep Kinsler at second base for now and deal with him later. That's a mighty big MAY, though. You also run the risk of another Michael Young situation with Kinsler down the road.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girardi agrees to 4 year deal with Yankees. We can expect the Cubs to go balls deep on Maddux, because I doubt they want to bring Dusty Baker back.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker DFA'ed so they can move West off the 60 day DL

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also need to get better at getting guys on more consistently. They were 10th in the league in OBP. We really need to find some guys that can give those Red Sox kind of ABs. Maybe with AJ gone Mags can have some guys in here that will work the count better.

Moreland is too cheap not to keep on the roster. Unless they trade him, which I don't think is likely, he will be on the team to start or platoon. It's much more important to fix the COF, DH, and C spots than it is Moreland. Because unless Paul Goldschmidt is up for grabs I don't know what would fix first base. Abreu is an option, but he is PRICEY.

:agree:...:agree: For me, I wouldn't get near Abreu. And God knows, the Rangers don't want to even contemplate the cat calls of, "aren't you the guys who gave away Gonzalez, Davis" and now Moreland has gone on to be an AS with ??? Seriously. That would just suck out loud wouldn't it?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes down to Kinsler or Profar, long term, I'd rather they keep Profar. I've always been a Kinsler fan, but I think we may have seen his best. The ace in the hole may be the kid at Frisco, Roughned Odor. He really came on last year and may make Profar expendable now so they can keep Kinsler at second base for now and deal with him later. That's a mighty big MAY, though. You also run the risk of another Michael Young situation with Kinsler down the road.

Unfortunately, I think we're already at the MY situation. But you've got a terrific point on Odor. He seems to be the real deal, and does give us a little wiggle room at 2nd. And frankly, I'm sold on EA @ SS. But hey, make us an offer we can't refuse and perhaps the trigger shall be pulled.

It's gonna be a fun time with all of us playing GM for the next 6 months ain't it? haha

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great thing about Profar is that he projects well at about 3 different positions, he may eventually grow into 3B as he gets bigger, Anyone remember how small Beltre was when he came up with the Dodgers?

So while we're trying to slot Profar into 2B now, once Beltre's contract is up, Profar may be an option at 3B... Reason being, lack of 3B options in the minors, and don't say Gallo, he is not a 3B long term

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thing about Profar is that he projects well at about 3 different positions, he may eventually grow into 3B as he gets bigger, Anyone remember how small Beltre was when he came up with the Dodgers?

So while we're trying to slot Profar into 2B now, once Beltre's contract is up, Profar may be an option at 3B... Reason being, lack of 3B options in the minors, and don't say Gallo, he is not a 3B long term

Great Point. And I'm afraid of what I'm seeing with Beltre and his body. 2/3 years from now we may not recognize Profar. "Remember when this kid weighed 155 lbs wet?" He can grow into a 200 pounder and be a above average 3rd baseman for a decade plus.

Hopefully, Gallo will be here in 2 years and making us forget Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.