• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just FYI, Beltre played in 162 games this season and 156 the previous one. These 2 years were his 15th and 16th seasons in the bigs.

It is unfair to expect a man with this much mileage, and hamstring issues - missed about 50 games in 2011 - to continue to play like he's 28.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just FYI, Beltre played in 162 games this season and 156 the previous one. These 2 years were his 15th and 16th seasons in the bigs.

It is unfair to expect a man with this much mileage, and hamstring issues - missed about 50 games in 2011 - to continue to play like he's 28.

I don't think anybody has expressed expectations about Beltre's playing time. I do think that the notion that his BA suffered because he was tired is guess work. Nobody knows that except Beltre.

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody else truly enjoy the melt down by David Price over the weekend after he got roughed up by the Red Sox. I for one, thought he was a little too proud of his game 163 performance in RBIA because I felt like he was the beneficiary of an unusually wide and inconsistent strike zone and a Ranger offense that from the third inning on resorted to quick at bats and poor choices (Elvis bunt) that night.

I felt like he acted as if he was unbeatable that night and for the most part the media fell right into that after the game. Well he pitched about the same against the Sox over the weekend only their lineup is a bit better than the Rangers top to bottom and they, check this out, saw 1300 more pitches than any other team in baseball this year. So that type of hitting coupled with an ump that didn't add an inch or two to both sides of the plate and David Price looked pretty average.

Melt down big guy and blame it on the media. Way to go.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody else truly enjoy the melt down by David Price over the weekend after he got roughed up by the Red Sox. I for one, thought he was a little too proud of his game 163 performance in RBIA because I felt like he was the beneficiary of an unusually wide and inconsistent strike zone and a Ranger offense that from the third inning on resorted to quick at bats and poor choices (Elvis bunt) that night.

I felt like he acted as if he was unbeatable that night and for the most part the media fell right into that after the game. Well he pitched about the same against the Sox over the weekend only their lineup is a bit better than the Rangers top to bottom and they, check this out, saw 1300 more pitches than any other team in baseball this year. So that type of hitting coupled with an ump that didn't add an inch or two to both sides of the plate and David Price looked pretty average.

5 Oct[/ame] Dirk Hayhurst...COULDNT hack it...Tom Verducci wasn't even a water boy in high school...but yet they can still bash a player...SAVE IT NERDS

I wouldn't call that blaming the media. I actually do agree with him about both of those guys. Hayhurst is awful and has no business being on a national playoff set. He publicly accused Bucholz of cheating this year and received no punishment after he was found to be 100% wrong. In fact he kept saying how much of a cheater Bucholz was.

Verducci really is a nerd. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would put him in the category with a lot of us. Just a dude who loves baseball with out much of a background of playing it at super competitive level.

Price had a right to defend himself. That doesn't mean you have to though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 Oct Dirk Hayhurst...COULDNT hack it...Tom Verducci wasn't even a water boy in high school...but yet they can still bash a player...SAVE IT NERDS

I wouldn't call that blaming the media. I actually do agree with him about both of those guys. Hayhurst is awful and has no business being on a national playoff set. He publicly accused Bucholz of cheating this year and received no punishment after he was found to be 100% wrong. In fact he kept saying how much of a cheater Bucholz was.

Verducci really is a nerd. There is nothing wrong with that, but I would put him in the category with a lot of us. Just a dude who loves baseball with out much of a background of playing it at super competitive level.

Price had a right to defend himself. That doesn't mean you have to though.

I would just sum up my feelings about Price like this, I think he was a bit too high about his performance in game 163. I thought he was average and got a little help from the ump and a little help from an offense that picked a bad night to have one of its "we're going to make a guy who's throwing OK look like Cy Young tonight" nights.

Then so much anger after being average (not bad) against a very deep lineup with a pretty tight zone from the ump.

Just thinking that, even though he's young and talented, he's been aroun for a while and would do well to act like it.

All that said, would've loved to see him in a Ranger uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just sum up my feelings about Price like this, I think he was a bit too high about his performance in game 163. I thought he was average and got a little help from the ump and a little help from an offense that picked a bad night to have one of its "we're going to make a guy who's throwing OK look like Cy Young tonight" nights.

Then so much anger after being average (not bad) against a very deep lineup with a pretty tight zone from the ump.

Just thinking that, even though he's young and talented, he's been aroun for a while and would do well to act like it.

All that said, would've loved to see him in a Ranger uniform.
He embarrassed Texas as they embarrassed themselves. I'm not mad at him for that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody has expressed expectations about Beltre's playing time. I do think that the notion that his BA suffered because he was tired is guess work. Nobody knows that except Beltre.

Lots of us have "expressed expectations about Beltre's playing time." This was/is the point.

And everyone knows if you're tried you probably hit better, right? Com'on now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...Texas may have dodged a real bullet with that. I feel bad for him.

Yeah, you're probably right. I hope Olt comes around though. Seems like a good guy, gave us the best he had, and this works for me.

robhea67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

he had aright to be excited tx had handed him his ass in the playoffs prior to that game. he did say afterward that he was glad he was not playing tx again."glad we dont have to play them anymore"

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of us have "expressed expectations about Beltre's playing time." This was/is the point.

And everyone knows if you're tried you probably hit better, right? Com'on now.

I wasn't talking about board expectations. JMO, but board expectations concerning Beltre's health, batting average and whether or not he's tired are based on assumptions. My thoughts about expectations concern those expressed within the Rangers organization.

Hell, Beltre pulls up while running the bases and grabs his hammy and everybody, including me assumes, "well that that's it, we won't be seeing him the rest of the game". Not only does he come back, but in his next AB he hits a 430 ft. HR to dead CF.

robhea67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wasn't talking about board expectations. JMO, but board expectations concerning Beltre's health, batting average and whether or not he's tired are based on assumptions. My thoughts about expectations concern those expressed within the Rangers organization.

Hell, Beltre pulls up while running the bases and grabs his hammy and everybody, including me assumes, "well that that's it, we won't be seeing him the rest of the game". Not only does he come back, but in his next AB he hits a 430 ft. HR to dead CF.
he is a tough guy!!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He pulls up to protect the hammy. He's never going to pull him self from any game. That's just not the kind of guy he is at all. I respect him for that, but he needs to be protected from himself. He's not been blessed to be totally free of troubles like Cal was his whole career. The only time Ripken was ever hurt was a freak accident where an all star teammate broke Ripken's nose falling off a platform and trying to catch his balance.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He pulls up to protect the hammy. He's never going to pull him self from any game. That's just not the kind of guy he is at all. I respect him for that, but he needs to be protected from himself. He's not been blessed to be totally free of troubles like Cal was his whole career. The only time Ripken was ever hurt was a freak accident where an all star teammate broke Ripken's nose falling off a platform and trying to catch his balance.

Wash & his teammates say that getting him to DH is hell. he wants to play every game at 3rd all 162

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did y'all see Balfour pull his usual "I'm a bad man" act today?

I said this before, and feel compelled to repeat here: You know when he's the toughest? When there's someone between him and the guy he's trying to get tough with. And it's the truth. He showed his cowardliness again today. He made sure there was a buffer zone, 30 feet deep, before he really showed what a bad-ass he is. What a punk.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did y'all see Balfour pull his usual "I'm a bad man" act today?

I said this before, and feel compelled to repeat here: You know when he's the toughest? When there's someone between him and the guy he's trying to get tough with. And it's the truth. He showed his cowardliness again today. He made sure there was a buffer zone, 30 feet deep, before he really showed what a bad-ass he is. What a punk.
He's bad. What a coward jerk.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's bad. What a coward jerk.

Of course, what should anyone expect from a man who's home country was founded as a Penal Colony?

hahaha.....Tacky....sorry

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had aright to be excited tx had handed him his ass in the playoffs prior to that game. he did say afterward that he was glad he was not playing tx again."glad we dont have to play them anymore"

Just said I thought he was a little over the top and he did his share of barking at Ranger hitters that night so when papi watches one go out, suck it up dude.

He knew he was wrong and apologized today

Tacobenboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Rev,

You had me leaning earlier this year towards there being no such thing as clutch. Then I tune in to Red Sox/Rays and watch Longo do it again when his team needed him most. There may not be a true way to quantify clutch but if there was Longoria would be the definition of it.

Dude is unbelievable in the last week of Sept and the first part of Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.