• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with 100%. It was sad to see Murphy busting butt, yet getting zero to show for it, and yet Wash paraded him out there so routinely. If I'm at the game when the Tribe shows, I'llgive him a good round of applause.
I suspect he will get the same from everyone.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who are curious, someone came on here a few days ago and said Murphy turned down a offer from the Rangers for 3 years/27 million. Supposedly because he wanted 3/30. I don't recall who it was.

Found it. Rev posted this:
Texas Sports Insider @TexasInsiders Follow Andro just told us David Murphy turned down 3 years and $27M from the #Rangers during the 2012 offseason. He wanted 3 years and $30M

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who are curious, someone came on here a few days ago and said Murphy turned down a offer from the Rangers for 3 years/27 million. Supposedly because he wanted 3/30. I don't recall who it was.

Found it. Rev posted this:
Texas Sports Insider @TexasInsiders Follow Andro just told us David Murphy turned down 3 years and $27M from the #Rangers during the 2012 offseason. He wanted 3 years and $30M

Glad you found this.

And how incredibly short sighted by his agent not to have jumped all over this. Really bad advice you took there Murph.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe him. First, I do trust Murphy at his word. Second, that would've been a wonderful offer and you'd have to be beyond foolish not to recognize it. And I don't think Murph is foolish.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers announced that they have added right-handers Lisalverto Bonilla and Ben Rowen to the 40-man roster as well as infielder Luis Sardinas. Bonilla was acquired from Philadelphia in exchange for Michael Young last offseason. Sardinas currently ranks as the No. 70 prospect in baseball according to MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo.

Just me but I find Sardinas as #70 prospect in baseball a little too much. Just curious about the purpose of putting these three on the 40 man roster. Not up to snuff on that part of it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just me but I find Sardinas as #70 prospect in baseball a little too much. Just curious about the purpose of putting these three on the 40 man roster. Not up to snuff on that part of it.
That is a little confusing.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Ben Rogers or David Murphy. So there you go.

Ya exactly. Look if that happened then it's a tough decision he and his agent made. A foolish one in hindsight but hey shit happens sometimes. He's still set for life and frankly the fact that he still got 10 million over the next 2 seasons still shows how salaries in baseball are now. And he's only 32...he can hang around and milk this thing another good 4-5 years at least.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya exactly. Look if that happened then it's a tough decision he and his agent made. A foolish one in hindsight but hey shit happens sometimes. He's still set for life and frankly the fact that he still got 10 million over the next 2 seasons still shows how salaries in baseball are now. And he's only 32...he can hang around and milk this thing another good 4-5 years at least.

They probably expected he would be that 3 win player again, which I wouldn't fault his agents for thinking that. I don't think anyone saw his total flop of a year coming.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Ben Rogers or David Murphy. So there you go.

Murphy has always been a person of character from what I have seen. I would believe him if he said he was not offered that.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy has always been a person of character from what I have seen. I would believe him if he said he was not offered that.

This isn't about character. It's about saving face. It doesn't make him a bad person to deny this.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of things involved as far as why a person may be put on the 40 man roster. One of the main reasons is to protect a player from Rule 5 Draft. Here is some of what I found:

Obviously, there are advantages for a team placing a player on the 40-man roster. If the player has less than six years of major league service, the team has control over that player until he reaches six years. All teams, especially those in small markets, take advantage of this mechanism for keeping their young players around cheaply. Likewise, players also benefit from being added to a 40-man roster. Not only does a player have to be put onto the 40-man roster to make the majors, but being added makes it easier for players to eventually achieve free agency. It also makes it a little harder to be booted off the 40-man roster (more on that later). Thus, both players and teams benefit from the 40-man roster system. So the question now is: how are players added to the 40-man roster?

There are a number of different ways for players to make their way onto a team's 40-man roster. Perhaps the most interesting additions (at least to fans of teams that rely on prospects to compete) are players being protected from the Rule 5 draft. Players meeting certain conditions must be added to their organization's 40-man roster or they become eligible for the Rule 5 draft. The eligibility requirements: Players who were 18 or younger on the June 5th preceding the signing of their first pro contract must be added after five minor league seasons. Players who were 19 or older must be added after four minor league seasons.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think what he says here would change his character. Some things are private business and the public does not need to know about. Just my thought tho.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think what he says here would change his character. Some things are private business and the public does not need to know about. Just my thought tho.
You said what I was trying to say in a better way. I agree with that take. Things get leaked a lot that were never supposed to, and players are probably instructed to deny them by their agents/lawyers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't about character. It's about saving face. It doesn't make him a bad person to deny this.

There just happens to be some people that will be honest regardless. He just strikes me as that kind of person. Just my personal opinion based on how he has always carried himself and an interview about his life at a church service I was at. Not saying I could not be wrong.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you all see this out on MLB Trade Rumors. Could be an interesting player to keep an eye on.

The Rangers announced that left-hander Edwar Cabrera has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A. Texas claimed the 26-year-old from the Rockies back in October. A shoulder injury cost him the entire 2013 season, but Cabrera has an impressive minor league resume: a 3.13 ERA with 11.1 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 501 innings.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you all see this out on MLB Trade Rumors. Could be an interesting player to keep an eye on.

The Rangers announced that left-hander Edwar Cabrera has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A. Texas claimed the 26-year-old from the Rockies back in October. A shoulder injury cost him the entire 2013 season, but Cabrera has an impressive minor league resume: a 3.13 ERA with 11.1 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 501 innings.
Had not heard and the 6:00 news said we picked up a pitcher from the Dodgers. Did not catch the name. Anybody catch it?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe him, it didn't make any sense. And I also thought it was a bit strange that suddenly an offer appeared that no one had ever heard of, after almost a year.

No big deal, not like I think JD or whoever was trying to do something malacious, maybe the offer was a rumor and we took it as the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.