• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't look to be more than 2 years away. That's what I'm saying. If he's ready to go in a few more years, why do we need to sign McCann for 5 years?

Probably because it is a 5 yr deal for McCann or Soto truly is our guy.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The only way I do that is if it is contingent on an extension.

I agree with ya. But I'm gonna play devils advocate. What if we traded Profar, and say one of our decent - not Jackson - minor league pitchers for Scherzer. And he lead us to our FIRST championship.

Does this alter your opinion at all?

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya. But I'm gonna play devils advocate. What if we traded Profar, and say one of our decent - not Jackson - minor league pitchers for Scherzer. And he lead us to our FIRST championship.

I'd trade the farm for an assured championship.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if pigs flew out of my ass, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life!

But real life doesn't work that way and the tactic of going "all in" for a year or two is terrible management. See how it's worked out for the angels?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because McCann can mentor Alfaro and split catching time with him when he comes up. He probably doesn't need to be "the guy" his first year up. As he matures into that role, McCann can take on more dh duties.

This is a good idea.

And McCann could end up being, in say 2 1/2 years, a backup catcher, part time DH, good PH, fill in at first (maybe a stretch). But hopefully, you can see where my thought process is going.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if pigs flew out of my ass, I'd have bacon for the rest of my life!

But real life doesn't work that way and the tactic of going "all in" for a year or two is terrible management. See how it's worked out for the angels?

And I see how well it's worked out for a team in Florida too. A couple of championships. So therefore, it sure as hell does work sometimes in life bacon butt!

I said, "I was playing devils advocate."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys obviously didn't read my comment about Ruiz. I asked if it would just make more sense to sign Ruiz for a couple of years, instead of McCann. I like McCann and want to sign him. I was just wondering if it might make more sense to sign Ruiz. It would be cheaper. I don't think Alfaro is as far out as you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I see how well it's worked out for a team in Florida too. A couple of championships. So therefore, it sure as hell does work sometimes in life bacon butt!

I said, "I was playing devils advocate."

It's not a gamble I'd be willing to take. Regardless of whether you win a world series (and the odds say you won't) the aftermath of that type of management takes years to recover from.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side bar: Baylor 56 TT 34 4th qtr

Status
Not open for further replies.