• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MIA has a payroll commitment in 2014 of exactly $7.2mil total and has long rejected expensive contracts. Kinsler is basically due $16-18mil through his current contract over twice the size of MIA's 2014 commitment. Cano will command $18-20mil in a new contract.

So ... sending Profar and Kinsler to MIA would cost more to fill the new 2b hole ... and in exchange would get the oft injured Stanton in return. Not what I would think would be a good move ... even for MIA.

So you're telling me you wouldn't trade Ian and Profar for Stanton? Miami is going to have to start filling those seats. They have changed management positions. Who knows what they will do.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 71 they lost a Super Bowl, two NFL championship games and lost badly to Cleveland two straight years in the playoffs. It' not an over night deal sometimes.
And people bitched and moaned after Landry was fired. The Cowboys went on to win 3 more super bowls. People are always going to complain about what the team does. There isn't always just one answer to any problem.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me you wouldn't trade Ian and Profar for Stanton? Miami is going to have to start filling those seats. They have changed management positions. Who knows what they will do.

As long as Loria is there things won't change. He's going to try to win with the cheapest talent possible and dismantle after that if/when they get some success. It's still a crying shame he owned the Expos. They should have never left Montreal. I hope MLB goes back there someday and gives them a team.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he decided to stay put here at that time because he didn't want the Cubs job. If I'm not mistaken I thought he was one of the leading candidates for the job but he preferred Boston at that time which he lost out on. I think his goal is to manage a club one day and this could be his chance. I wonder if JD approaches Maddux, gives him a raise and tells him that if things stay the same here in Texas next season then the job will go to you.

If he wants to go to the Cubs, so be it. If he views this as his opportunity to make the big jump, then he should capitalize. Just can't see anyone wanting their first managerial experience to be with the worst franchise in the history of professional sports.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And people bitched and moaned after Landry was fired. The Cowboys went on to win 3 more super bowls. People are always going to complain about what the team does. There isn't always just one answer to any problem.

Never said there was. The point is people who bitch and moan the loudest are more often than not, clueless. Fans and sports writers were calling for Landry's head in 1964 and Clint Murchison gave them the finger and signed Landry to a 10 year deal. Two years later the Cowboys went on a run of 20 win seasons.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Loria is there things won't change. He's going to try to win with the cheapest talent possible and dismantle after that if/when they get some success. It's still a crying shame he owned the Expos. They should have never left Montreal. I hope MLB goes back there someday and gives them a team.

:agree:...And honestly, moving a team to Miami made no sense then, and building a new stadium ain't the answer to their problem (s). Granted, ownership is horrid beyond horrid. But they won't draw even if they win. Look at how poorly the excellent TB Rays do at the turnstile.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:...And honestly, moving a team to Miami made no sense then, and building a new stadium ain't the answer to their problem (s). Granted, ownership is horrid beyond horrid. But they won't draw even if they win. Look at how poorly the excellent TB Rays do at the turnstile.
The Rays play in a crappy stadium in a crappy area. I don't blame people for not going there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said there was. The point is people who bitch and moan the loudest are more often than not, clueless. Fans and sports writers were calling for Landry's head in 1964 and Clint Murchison gave them the finger and signed Landry to a 10 year deal. Two years later the Cowboys went on a run of 20 win seasons.

But the fact remains, Landry needed to be fired when he was. He should have been treated with respect, but we're talking Jerry here. He was an excellent coach, fine man, but he still deserved to be axed. The game had changed. It happens in life and football. Game changes and you don't.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Miami is full of bandwagon fans. I think if they started winning the fans would show up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays play in a crappy stadium in a crappy area. I don't blame people for not going there.[/QUOTE

Well, they just built the new stadium, and it can't be moved. They weren't drawing before either.

I know what you're saying. But Miami is not a good location for a MLB franchise IMO regardless of where the stadium is. I don't know what the suits are suppose to do, but it's a tough situation all the way around. Revenue sharing, in this particular situation, is part of the problem rather than solution.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why MLB continues to keep MLB in Florida is a mystery. You can get more fans to show up for a good Texas High School football game than you can get at a regular season MLB game in Florida.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Have they changed ownership? They can't afford Ian. Simple as that. Until the owner changes they are just going to be a 201x version of the Montreal Expos.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they just built the new stadium, and it can't be moved. They weren't drawing before either.

I know what you're saying. But Miami is not a good location for a MLB franchise IMO regardless of where the stadium is. I don't know what the suits are suppose to do, but it's a tough situation all the way around. Revenue sharing, in this particular situation, is part of the problem rather than solution.
I hate revenue sharing. I also hate that teams are allowed to freeload and field just the bare minimum. It bugged me when Texas did it and it bugs me when franchises like the Marlins and Astros do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's a very weak infield with two players playing positions they're not accustomed to.

Profar, IMO, would be a good to excellent 2nd baseman if the Rangers committed to him the position is his, send him to the winter league to do nothing but play 2nd, and not look back.

Kinsler is not a good 2nd baseman now. Moreland has fallen over dead with his bat, and his glove is average. Kins has almost no trade value, unless we pull a MY move. It won't be that bad, but hell, no one is gonna take his salary at his age.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they changed ownership? They can't afford Ian. Simple as that. Until the owner changes they are just going to be a 201x version of the Montreal Expos.
I wish I could have gone to game in Montreal. That would have been seriously amazing.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing from my travels to Tampa, the reason TB doesn't draw is not because the stadium is crappy but the location of the station. Their park should be in Tampa and not in St. Pete. Majority of the population that would want to go to the games live in Tampa and the commute to go cross the bridge to St. Pete is a complete ass whip.

Baseball can and will work anywhere if a franchise is properly run. There's nothing wrong with Miami having a baseball team but I think it was very poor decision and planning putting it much more closer to Miami proper and closer to downtown. The ballpark should have been built in the northern suburbs in this case because they'd be the ones that'd go to the games more even when they're down. All that said tho as long as Loria owns that thing it will stay the way it is. If MLB was smart and had the balls to they would get rid of Loria as an MLB owner. He makes Jerry look like Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.