• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure why our payroll would be less than last year when we had over 3 million in attendance for a 2nd year in a row and a big TV contract kicking in.

Total payroll will be what it turns out to be. Public announcement by the FO that it will be slightly lower than last season is not to inform fans ... it's a message to players' agents. Agents know TEX is always in the mix ... so it serves no purpose other than inflating contracts for a team to announce ahead of negotiations that it is raising its payroll budget. It's business.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I brought up the idea earlier today of signing Cano, while trading Ian and Profar+ for Stanton. I didn't know we were even considering Cano. I have a feeling the Angels or Dodgers will sign Cano though.

MIA has a payroll commitment in 2014 of exactly $7.2mil total and has long rejected expensive contracts. Kinsler is basically due $16-18mil through his current contract over twice the size of MIA's 2014 commitment. Cano will command $18-20mil in a new contract.

So ... sending Profar and Kinsler to MIA would cost more to fill the new 2b hole ... and in exchange would get the oft injured Stanton in return. Not what I would think would be a good move ... even for MIA.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds fired Dusty Baker after losing the WC game.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of the last 4 years in the playoffs, three time MoY, 7 post seasons as a manager ... yet Walt Jocketty said they needed to make a change "to move the organization forward".

Hmmmmmm.... ya hear that JD?
Their situations were not that similar. Baker did some very stupid things. One for instance was openly criticizing Joey Votto for his approach at the plate. He is probably the most fundamentally sound hitter in baseball. I don't know how you can talk about him negatively.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their situations were not that similar. Baker did some very stupid things. One for instance was openly criticizing Joey Votto for his approach at the plate. He is probably the most fundamentally sound hitter in baseball. I don't know how you can talk about him negatively.

:agree:.....Votto is a 7 yr vet, all with the Reds, and has a LT BA of .314. He also has a $263 mil contract for the next decade plus. Not wise to bad mouth the home grown, face of the franchise player. Plus, the GM didn't hire Baker. Losing the last 6 games of the season didn't help much either.

Question: Ueharra left the Rangers due to wanting to close, if memory serves. And the Rangers had injury concerns. Is this what you remember? Because he sure has been lights out for the Sox.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:.....Votto is a 7 yr vet, all with the Reds, and has a LT BA of .314. He also has a $263 mil contract for the next decade plus. Not wise to bad mouth the home grown, face of the franchise player. Plus, the GM didn't hire Baker. Losing the last 6 games of the season didn't help much either.

Question: Ueharra left the Rangers due to wanting to close, if memory serves. And the Rangers had injury concerns. Is this what you remember? Because he sure has been lights out for the Sox.

Reports are he really hated yu darvish.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are he really hated yu darvish.
He also lived out of a hotel his whole time down here. He was a depressed individual. He never wanted to leave the O's. It's really sad that he never felt at home here.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of the last 4 years in the playoffs, three time MoY, 7 post seasons as a manager ... yet Walt Jocketty said they needed to make a change "to move the organization forward".

Hmmmmmm.... ya hear that JD?

JD probably looked at playoff records, Baker 19-25....Wash 18-16 and determined that we have been moving forward for sometime.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also lived out of a hotel his whole time down here. He was a depressed individual. He never wanted to leave the O's. It's really sad that he never felt at home here.

That really is too bad. Wonder why he felt this way? Even if you love the O's, baseball is the business of moving around and making the best of it. And if he honestly despised Yu, that's really gotta suck. Only guy you can really talk with and still can't be friends.

He seems to be happy in Boston, so I guess, good for him.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really is too bad. Wonder why he felt this way? Even if you love the O's, baseball is the business of moving around and making the best of it. And if he honestly despised Yu, that's really gotta suck. Only guy you can really talk with and still can't be friends.

He seems to be happy in Boston, so I guess, good for him.
He had his former high school teammate to talk to in Yoshi. It's pretty sad.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he really doesn't want to be here post Nolan

I think he decided to stay put here at that time because he didn't want the Cubs job. If I'm not mistaken I thought he was one of the leading candidates for the job but he preferred Boston at that time which he lost out on. I think his goal is to manage a club one day and this could be his chance. I wonder if JD approaches Maddux, gives him a raise and tells him that if things stay the same here in Texas next season then the job will go to you.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he decided to stay put here at that time because he didn't want the Cubs job. If I'm not mistaken I thought he was one of the leading candidates for the job but he preferred Boston at that time which he lost out on. I think his goal is to manage a club one day and this could be his chance. I wonder if JD approaches Maddux, gives him a raise and tells him that if things stay the same here in Texas next season then the job will go to you.
Unless he is very confident in his ability to make the cubs a winner, which might be a stretch, because they are still rebuilding, it would make more sense to stay in Texas.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD probably looked at playoff records, Baker 19-25....Wash 18-16 and determined that we have been moving forward for sometime.[/QUOTE]

Yep ... moving forward like a glacier.

Before the Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 71 they lost a Super Bowl, two NFL championship games and lost badly to Cleveland two straight years in the playoffs. It' not an over night deal sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.