• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spreadsheet at the link reads in cell E1 reads "Updated: 3/31/13"

Garza, Rios and Blackley are shown on the coversheet ... but I don't find them in the Excel product.
I don't have excel. It just shows up in a google doc for me. And at the top above the Length/Total Value column it says updated 9/13.

Edit : Okay I think I get the reason you aren't seeing the same as me now. I have the 2013-18 obligations doc open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers' 2014 payroll will be "a little below" its $125.3MM figure from last season, Daniels said (via Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News). The club has around $85MM committed to nine players next season, plus five arbitration-eligible players. Since the club will have at least $31MM worth of free agents coming off the books, Grant notes, the Rangers will still have room to spend.
The Rangers "certainly have interest" in free agent Kendrys Morales, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports. Since the Mariners plan to extend a qualifying offer to Morales, signing Morales would cost the Rangers their first-round draft pick as compensation.
Also in Sullivan's piece, he breaks down the Rangers' offseason needs and notes that Jurickson Profar's positional future could play a role in Texas' moves. For instance, the Rangers could experiment with Profar at third base, which would allow Adrian Beltre to save his legs by seeing regular DH at-bats.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Blue Jays buy out Lind, do you think he is an option a 1B?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were to sign Morales we would get the 1st round pick of whoever signs Nelly. I guess it just depends if you would rather have Morales or Nelly.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers' 2014 payroll will be "a little below" its $125.3MM figure from last season, Daniels said (via Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News). The club has around $85MM committed to nine players next season, plus five arbitration-eligible players. Since the club will have at least $31MM worth of free agents coming off the books, Grant notes, the Rangers will still have room to spend.
The Rangers "certainly have interest" in free agent Kendrys Morales, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports. Since the Mariners plan to extend a qualifying offer to Morales, signing Morales would cost the Rangers their first-round draft pick as compensation.
Also in Sullivan's piece, he breaks down the Rangers' offseason needs and notes that Jurickson Profar's positional future could play a role in Texas' moves. For instance, the Rangers could experiment with Profar at third base, which would allow Adrian Beltre to save his legs by seeing regular DH at-bats.

Given regular reps, Profar could be a fine 3B, Beltre's hammy's have been toast since he got here, he needs regular days off

No one we sign should be a Berkman DH only type and it should be no one's exclusive position, everyone should be able to play the field, DH only types are far too limiting, especially when they don't hit and Wash has a hard-on for them

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given regular reps, Profar could be a fine 3B, Beltre's hammy's have been toast since he got here, he needs regular days off

No one we sign should be a Berkman DH only type and it should be no one's exclusive position, everyone should be able to play the field, DH only types are far too limiting, especially when they don't hit and Wash has a hard-on for them

I would certainly like Morales, and if they're planning on giving Mitch another chance, he could spell him at 1st as well. Him being a switch hitter helps as well.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have killed for Ortiz this year...DH only type or not.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would certainly like Morales, and if they're planning on giving Mitch another chance, he could spell him at 1st as well. Him being a switch hitter helps as well.
As long as he doesn't make much more than he did this year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

2013: Morales +37pts higher OBP and +50pts higher OPS ... same HRs as the 23 Mitch got (23LH). Morales: 17LH, 6RH.

I suggest TEX will be building a model that generates runs equal to 2011-2012 output ... and then seeing where they are now ... and what delta they need to fill. You just can't chase after pieces ... there is a plan. Per T.R. TEX may be looking at Morales ... but he's not the starting piece. He's not the difference maker.

As for the 1b element in the equation ... am not sure Morales (2.7WAR) at $6-8mil gets you much better output than you get from Mitch. Means you end up spending about 1/4 of the available uncommitted payroll for a marginal 1b output improvement.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers contacted the Yankees earlier this season about the possibility of trading Robinson Cano, Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports. Talks went nowhere as the Yankees simply said that Cano was unavailable. The Rangers' interest, however, places them atop Marchand's list of the nine teams who could land Cano in free agency this winter. Cano's presence would crowd a middle infield situation that already includes Jurickson Profar fighting for playing time with Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler, though one scout told Marchand that Texas could move Kinsler to first base.

Yankees Notes: Cano, Rangers, Granderson, Pineda: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Interesting.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the playoffs and realized what the Rangers missed against Tampa Bay. BJ Upton giving us an easy out.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why our payroll would be less than last year when we had over 3 million in attendance for a 2nd year in a row and a big TV contract kicking in.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013: Morales +37pts higher OBP and +50pts higher OPS ... same HRs as the 23 Mitch got (23LH). Morales: 17LH, 6RH.

I suggest TEX will be building a model that generates runs equal to 2011-2012 output ... and then seeing where they are now ... and what delta they need to fill. You just can't chase after pieces ... there is a plan. Per T.R. TEX may be looking at Morales ... but he's not the starting piece. He's not the difference maker.

As for the 1b element in the equation ... am not sure Morales (2.7WAR) at $6-8mil gets you much better output than you get from Mitch. Means you end up spending about 1/4 of the available uncommitted payroll for a marginal 1b output improvement.

I was talking about Morales as DH, and filling in for Mitch at 1st every once in awhile.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers contacted the Yankees earlier this season about the possibility of trading Robinson Cano, Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York reports. Talks went nowhere as the Yankees simply said that Cano was unavailable. The Rangers' interest, however, places them atop Marchand's list of the nine teams who could land Cano in free agency this winter. Cano's presence would crowd a middle infield situation that already includes Jurickson Profar fighting for playing time with Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler, though one scout told Marchand that Texas could move Kinsler to first base.

Yankees Notes: Cano, Rangers, Granderson, Pineda: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Interesting.

I brought up the idea earlier today of signing Cano, while trading Ian and Profar+ for Stanton. I didn't know we were even considering Cano. I have a feeling the Angels or Dodgers will sign Cano though.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought up the idea earlier today of signing Cano, while trading Ian and Profar+ for Stanton. I didn't know we were even considering Cano. I have a feeling the Angels or Dodgers will sign Cano though.

Sounds pretty absurd to me. If you want to move Kinsler to 1st base, put Profar at 2nd and save $30 million a year

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Interesting.

More likely TEX was looking to establish a Cano price-point to incorporate in its Kinsler pricing.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was talking about Morales as DH, and filling in for Mitch at 1st every once in awhile.

If all you want him for is DH and the odd use at 1b ... then before making that move TEX needs to lock up Cruz, another COF and catcher that together with a Morales generate the output of the 2011-2012 roster. Morales isn't the first piece ... he'd be the last piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.