• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't like his 6+ ERA last year?

A couple of years ago I would have given my left nut for Josh Johnson. He just fell off of the earth it seems. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if he found "it" again and became the pitcher he once was.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how everyone is willing to go all in with Martin after 1 full season of 500 plate appearances but is skeptical about Gentry after 3 seasons of consistent numbers and 700+ plate appearances

Not everyone. Gentry has consistently better AB's, a solid OBP and plays CF on par with anybody in the AL.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Johnson is an interesting case, the guy had good strikeout numbers and didn't walk an abnormal amount of people. But my goodness look at that Home run to flyball ratio, 18.5%, along with a .356 BABIP, and a lower than usual strand rate I feel like Josh had some bad luck. However I don't know how much of his high ERA can be attributed to bad luck, I'd normally take a flier on but with the Rangers' limited budget I don't know if we can't use that money for offense

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you misread what i'm saying. if we had the middle-of-the-order big bats to back up Beltre i would have no problem with Gentry in LF but we don't. right now we Kinsler, Andrus, Rios & Beltre and then a big drop off down to Moreland, Soto, Gentry & Martin. we need at least two thumpers batting 5th & 6th behind Beltre or we might not even get beyond 3rd in the West. Cruz would answer part of that but hopefully we can add one more bat. unfortunately if we do that leaves Profar out and possibly drops Gentry into the 4th OF'er spot unless they replace Moreland at 1st

I'm not misreading anything, I don't see it as the problem that you see it as

Moreland is a power bat, his problem is not power, its plate discipline, same with Soto

You have thumpers, what you don't have is guys patient enough to put together good ABs

I'd gladly trade some of Mitch's HRs for a higher average and OBP

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Johnson is an interesting case, the guy had good strikeout numbers and didn't walk an abnormal amount of people. But my goodness look at that Home run to flyball ratio, 18.5%, along with a .356 BABIP, and a lower than usual strand rate I feel like Josh had some bad luck. However I don't know how much of his high ERA can be attributed to bad luck, I'd normally take a flier on but with the Rangers' limited budget I don't know if we can't use that money for offense

ctmwelcome_e0.gif

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'd love to give Gentry some more playing time, I think he deserves it. High OPB, excellent base running, and of course stellar defense.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone. Gentry has consistently better AB's, a solid OBP and plays CF on par with anybody in the AL.
I believe you have something here. I just like Gentry!

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks refugee, the Rangers board on ESPN is getting real depressing. I feel like there are a lot of people who've already given up on the season, heck one guy declared that the Rangers should start the rebuilding process now.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome over from ESPN, man,

Also yeah Johnson had a horrific 81 innings last year. Other than his K/9 ratio I don't know what was respectable.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mis-spoke, not everyone, a bunch of people, as I've said before, if we're bringing in an OFer, then it should be Gentry manning CF regularly not Martin, Martin should be this "4th OFer" everyone keeps calling Gentry

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks refugee, the Rangers board on ESPN is getting real depressing. I feel like there are a lot of people who've already given up on the season, heck one guy declared that the Rangers should start the rebuilding process now.

getting depressing? that ship sailed almost 3 years ago

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mis-spoke, not everyone, a bunch of people, as I've said before, if we're bringing in an OFer, then it should be Gentry manning CF regularly not Martin, Martin should be this "4th OFer" everyone keeps calling Gentry

Calling him a 4th OFer isn't a slight on his ability. Whoever they bring in there should be a platoon of Gentry and Martin for the other OF spot. There are more RHPs so naturally Leonys will get more PAs.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I'd love to give Gentry some more playing time, I think he deserves it. High OPB, excellent base running, and of course stellar defense.
Good to see you back. This is a good board. Ithink you will enjoy it here.:yahoo:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news on Perez, but there's less money we can spend on actually adding players. TR Sullivan has me very worried. He said JD is only going to spend round 17 million. I hoe somebody is wrong. I would be very disappointed in the organization.

I always thought it was incredibly odd, after losing the division to the A's again, that less than a few weeks later they release a statement that they are not spending anymore money and possibly less. Okay, but really? I suppose most fans may not pay a lot of attention, but it's a crappy thing to say after a disappointing season, don't say anything...especially that soon.

it seems the F.O is doing a lot of talking (early) compared to the past...but I could be remembering wrong.
I still think it's a lot of posturing and nothing more and Sullivan is just reporting what they are feeding him.
I'm not saying they are going to break the bank. I just don't believe this seemingly.... "don't expect much" messaging.

It's almost TOO much talking, if that makes sense.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling him a 4th OFer isn't a slight on his ability. Whoever they bring in there should be a platoon of Gentry and Martin for the other OF spot. There are more RHPs so naturally Leonys will get more PAs.

Its worse, its a slap in the face, he's behind Martin, who he just had a better season than

And Martin had a slightly better year vs RHPs, .749 OPS vs Gentry's .709, which is to be expected b/c Martin has more power and that's usually what's most affected by splits

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought it was incredibly odd, after losing the division to the A's again, that less than a few weeks later they release a statement that they are not spending anymore money and possibly less. Okay, but really? I suppose most fans may not pay a lot of attention, but it's a crappy thing to say after a disappointing season, don't say anything...especially that soon.

it seems the F.O is doing a lot of talking (early) compared to the past...but I could be remembering wrong.
I still think it's a lot of posturing and nothing more and Sullivan is just reporting what they are feeding him.
I'm not saying they are going to break the bank. I just don't believe this seemingly.... "don't expect much" messaging.

It's almost TOO much talking, if that makes sense.

They could do less talking before because they were still able to get away with under the radar things. They've grown way past that now. The Rangers are in a top 4 media market, have a crap ton of money and have been trending up since 2009 and been a damn good team since 2010. Everybody knows about the Rangers so it's inevitable that not only will we hear more rumors about their business but they'll have to talk more because it's sort of what is expected now. I'm glad it's this way. We're a big market ballclub...so it's time to act like it.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its worse, its a slap in the face, he's behind Martin, who he just had a better season than

And Martin had a slightly better year vs RHPs, .749 OPS vs Gentry's .709, which is to be expected b/c Martin has more power and that's usually what's most affected by splits

Texas is going with upside. They gave Martin the contract he got because they saw his upside being the everyday player that's going to be a good one for them. So they'll always prefer to keep Martin ahead of Gentry unless proven otherwise over the long term. I'm not ready to give Gentry anything. He's great in his role. Murphy was great in his role but when things changed this season he ended up having probably his worst season of his career. With Martin at least we know he is/was raw and this was the first season where he got a chance to showcase himself as an everyday type player. I think it's only inevitable that he'll be considered as the everyday CF'er come opening day.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading kinsler makes more sense everyday

If the Rangers really wanted to move Kinsler I think they'd be able to find someone for him. He's still a good player and good 2B. And while he has a sizable contract, it's nothing outrageous in my opinion.

But another thing we need to keep in mind is that he has a no trade clause and he's settled here nicely in the metroplex. So depending on where he may be dealt too he can easily veto it.

Status
Not open for further replies.