• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw...once put down on paper...our pitching...esp the bullpen looks extremely strong!

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those two spots go hand in hand. Whoever doesnt win the 5th spot will likely be the long man

Long man might be Colby ... but will not be Tepesch. If Colby wins the 5th spot over Tepesch and others ... then expect TEX to put Tepesch in the RR rotation. Putting a young pitcher in the bullpen ... especially a young SP ... let alone the long man in the bullpen is a mistake.

There will be plenty of opportunity for TEX to need to promote fresh SPs from AAA ... and you want to at least fill three spots there before thinking about the long guy.

That said ... if Colby doesn't make the rotation I think he becomes the ideal long guy especially early in the season when the guys are less inclined to go 6plus innings in a start. Colby for 2 innings of quality to get to the 7th or 8th would be a great asset.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I figured that someone would say that, but I was thinking that the Rangers are hoping Lewis can win the 5th spot and let Tepesch start in AAA until needed. If Lewis isn't ready or can't do it anymore, then they go with Tepesch as #5 and maybe Kirkman or Ortiz make it as a long-man.

Don't think you use LHP for the long role. In any case Ortiz is a short one inning arm ... just a notch above a LOOGY.

Does anyone know ... what is Kirkman's status? Last season he was out of options ... then went on the DL ... and somewhere in the back of my brain says he's no longer subject to being waived if he doesn't make the 25man. Anyone know?

That all said ... I really believe that Kirkman is an SP ... not a RP. TEX has tried him in that role and its not a role he is effective in. He is either in the rotation as #5 ... or if possible he's at Round Rock in its rotation he is not a relief pitcher.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bc I'm bored...I thought I would take a look at the 25 man roster as it stands currently.

C-G. Soto
1B-P. Fielder
2B-J. Profar
3B-A. Beltre
SS-E. Andres
LF-S. Choo
CF-L. Martin
RF-A. Rios
DH-M. Moreland
Bench
A. Rosales UTL
J. Arencibia C
E. Beltre OF
SP
Y. Darvish
D. Holland
M. Harrison
M. Perez
N. Tepesch/C. Lewis
RP
N. Feliz
T. Scheppers
A. Ogando
J. Soria
R. Ross
J. Frasor
N. Cotts
M. Kirkman/J. Ortiz

All that to say it appears there are only two positions being battled for this spring in the 5th rotation spot and long man in the bullpen

I think based on the setup, you have several guys that can go multiple innings and the need for a "long man" is thus negated

I think Soria ends up being the closer and Tepesch ends up winning the 5th spot, but I could also see Lewis in the 5 spot and Tepesch in AAA

And this is a 25 man based on a 13 man pitching staff, I think you see a 12 man staff and the extra bench bat to pair with Moreland, maybe Baker, and that might make Rosales expendable as he and Baker can both cover 2B & 3B and neither are really a SS,

I think Profar ends up being your "backup" SS

So ST battles as of now

Closer
#5 in rotation
Last bench spot
Last pitching staff spot

With the last 2 potentially influencing one another

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I'm curious about is the placement of guys like Nick Williams, Lewis Brinson, Joey Gallo, Roogie Odor, LuJack & Jorge Alfaro to start the next minor league season, promotions, staying put, etc...

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are the most exciting guys in our farm right now? For me its alfaro and gallo, but I'm sure some people like Chi Chi and some people like brinson

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Terps -Anything new from your scout friend? If Cruz isn't coming back, who are we looking as the RH DH, or are we not looking to bring anyone else in?

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Terps -Anything new from your scout friend? If Cruz isn't coming back, who are we looking as the RH DH, or are we not looking to bring anyone else in?

I answered you in the hockey thread on accident

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are the most exciting guys in our farm right now? For me its alfaro and gallo, but I'm sure some people like Chi Chi and some people like brinson

I'm kind of big on Nick Williams right now, he probably had the best all around season of anyone at Hickory last year, he just needs to learn to take a walk, which may eventually limit his growth & upside

but of course Odor, Gallo & Alfaro... I've been touting Odor & Alfaro since back when we were still on the ESPN boards

If Gallo can cut down on the strikeouts he may end up being a serious masher, just where on the field?

I think it ends up being 1B for Gallo, maybe OF first, but I don't think he sticks at 3B

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alfaro is an exciting one for me, but I also really love Rougned Odor because he's an intense player (although that can negatively affect him at times) and at the age of 19 he posted some great numbers in AA (small sample size alert), if he can put it all together at the majors he's a definite All-Star caliber guy.

I really hope that Brinson can reach his really high ceiling but he does need to lower that really high strikeout rate before he can be an impact hitter.

On a side note how in the world do the Rangers keep getting all these really good middle infield prospects?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales seems a little more likely at this point, and I'm ok with that, time for Cruz to move on IMO

You're probably right. I know Cruz would have to take less money to return, plus time in the field. I wonder if anyone is still interested in Mitch.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not that I'm against Mitch, but if you sign Morales then it gives you the chance to trade him to upgrade the rotation. And I wanna be all in this year. That would give us the best chance.

I mean think about it. We gotta sign a right handed bat anyway. Morales is a switch hitter, so he'd DH basically every day. We might as well avoid platooning the DH spot plus get a decent pitcher. My chips are in

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not that I'm against Mitch, but if you sign Morales then it gives you the chance to trade him to upgrade the rotation. And I wanna be all in this year. That would give us the best chance.

I mean think about it. We gotta sign a right handed bat anyway. Morales is a switch hitter, so he'd DH basically every day. We might as well avoid platooning the DH spot plus get a decent pitcher. My chips are in

Moreland doesn't really get you a rotation upgrade though, unless you package Sardi as well maybe, and then you still probably have to add a couple other pieces

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland doesn't really get you a rotation upgrade though, unless you package Sardi as well maybe, and then you still probably have to add a couple other pieces

That's what I mean. I meant a Moreland led package, not just him alone. I don't think there are any ACES available anyway. But a right handed pitcher with some good playoff experience would help. I don't think it would take much more than moreland, sardinas, and a lower prospect since many teams are running out of options

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfaro is an exciting one for me, but I also really love Rougned Odor because he's an intense player (although that can negatively affect him at times) and at the age of 19 he posted some great numbers in AA (small sample size alert), if he can put it all together at the majors he's a definite All-Star caliber guy.

I really hope that Brinson can reach his really high ceiling but he does need to lower that really high strikeout rate before he can be an impact hitter.

On a side note how in the world do the Rangers keep getting all these really good middle infield prospects?

Odor was in the lead or 2nd in doubles and average at Myrtle Beach when he was promoted to Frisco. Then in 134 ABs had a 530 slg pct and hit 306. This like you said at the age of 19. He turns 20 in Feb. I like Alfaro as well. Gallo has to cut down on the strike outs and Nick Williams and Brinson we have to see how they progress. As of now I see no place for Sardinas but he and Odor are a couple of years away. They should start back at Frisco. Not sure where the others will start the season at.