• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Ross, and Ross did not pitch poorly, they just chose to go with Tepesch, good memory!
Wasn't Kirkman also in the possible starter running last ST?

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was meant to be arbitrary, I was trying to make a gut decision about what HE THOUGHT, WHEN HE PITCHED, he couldn't even do that

So I moved on

I was only giving my opinion, not trying to get in the middle of anything
scouts honor

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone realizes this but Tepesch not only came up from AA to MLB but he really only pitched about half a year at Frisco the year before. He started off at Myrtle Beach.

Lainey I noticed he is from the KC area (Blue Springs).

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but his peripherals are pretty outstanding, the HR thing and getting through the lineup will only get better by pitching to ML lineups and gaining experience

I don't disagree, only that I can see where a fan might be a little nervous about him
and now for my broken record response, let's see what happens it ST
ha

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, only that I can see where a fan might be a little nervous about him
and now for my broken record response, let's see what happens it ST
ha

Oh for sure, be nervous, I think some of the nervousness is a bit excessive if you actually look deep on how he pitched

His struggles were completely in line with the jump he made

His successes were a bit unexpected

I'd prefer to see what he has, based on what's out there, from a value standpoint, he actually makes the most sense

Point is, it seems a bit premature to be trying to pigeon hole him to the AAA rotation already

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone realizes this but Tepesch not only came up from AA to MLB but he really only pitched about half a year at Frisco the year before. He started off at Myrtle Beach.

Lainey I noticed he is from the KC area (Blue Springs).

No argument here, he's certainly shown some nice potential, it's kinda hard for me to remember, but it seemed like early on, he certainly saved our butts when the others were injured and he was up

(not from KC, but I certainly know the area well, :))

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh for sure, be nervous, I think some of the nervousness is a bit excessive if you actually look deep on how he pitched

His struggles were completely in line with the jump he made

His successes were a bit unexpected

I'd prefer to see what he has, based on what's out there, from a value standpoint, he actually makes the most sense

Point is, it seems a bit premature to be trying to pigeon hole him to the AAA rotation already

I agree with all of this

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this

His biggest problem might be the lack of a solid changeup, which also makes sense based on his struggles

Hitters were able to sit back and wait on his fastball when he needed to throw it over the plate

If he works hard on his changeup, he might be a pretty good pitcher going forward

Perez and Ogando had the most effective changeups, which helps explain why they are able to outpitch their peripherals at this juncture

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At everything no less, deterring the run, gunning them down when they do, preventing wild pitches, not having passed balls

I can only imagine he's great at framing pitches... defensively I don't think he has a weakness

Even Pudge was only mediocre at passed balls & wild pitches

He's the best catcher of the Molina brothers IMO, and you could also make an argument for him being the best overall catcher in the MLB.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the best catcher of the Molina brothers IMO, and you could also make an argument for him being the best overall catcher in the MLB.

I don't think there's much disputing that actually, especially now that Mauer is a 1B he was the only person that had the balanced game that he has

Edit: Forgot about Posey and even he's pretty far behind defensively

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest problem might be the lack of a solid changeup, which also makes sense based on his struggles

Hitters were able to sit back and wait on his fastball when he needed to throw it over the plate

If he works hard on his changeup, he might be a pretty good pitcher going forward

Perez and Ogando had the most effective changeups, which helps explain why they are able to outpitch their peripherals at this juncture

Didn't Perez get something ridiculous like a 40% swing rate for his changeup when it was outside the strike zone, or something like that? Cause that's pretty good.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Perez get something ridiculous like a 40% swing rate for his changeup when it was outside the strike zone, or something like that? Cause that's pretty good.

Yeah Perez has always had a ridiculous change, hence the Santana comparison, but what has pushed his growth is the realization is that he's NOT a fastball pitcher, he can't throw it by AAA/ML hitters

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was just frustrated by his inability to answer a simple question honestly

i honestly don't think that either Tepesch or Ogando are viable choices for the 5th starter and Lewis is a shadow of what he was but if we are not going to look at outside options then i guess Tepesch wins the 5th spot

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wouldn't the best spot to do that be AAA and not facing ML hitters?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasn't Kirkman also in the possible starter running last ST?

Actually had a pretty good ST ... 2.45ERA in 11.0IP ... .184BAA ... 0.73WHIP

If I remember correctly TEX had concerns with the bullpen talent ... specifically lack of LH RPs. I think while Ortiz had a great ST and a good RS start I believe TEX chose to cover their bet on Ortiz with Ross and Kirkman in the bullpen and install Tepesch as the #5 SP. That being more manageable then finding another backup LH RP to team with Ross. Course that next LH RP turned out to be Neal Cotts.

Had Cotts and Ross been the LH RPs in the 2013 camp ... real good possibility is that Kirkman might have been the #5 versus Tepesch.

IMO.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i honestly don't think that either Tepesch or Ogando are viable choices for the 5th starter and Lewis is a shadow of what he was but if we are not going to look at outside options then i guess Tepesch wins the 5th spot

Who is a viable choice? Throwing 100 million at Tanaka? Other than that, I don't see much out there