• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies to DT, Greg, and anyone else annoyed by my arguing and bickering with JTA lately. I agree, we should all stick to baseball and I will admit that I played a large role in taking it there. At times I put a lot of thought and personal effort into my posts and it seems like every time I do so, JTA is always there to reject it without putting in near the same effort I did in the original post. Not to mention, it just seems like he always has to give his rubber stamp of approval or disapproval on just about anyones post and it seems he fancies himself as the top expert on this board. He can also be very condescending to several posters on this board. I will never deny he knows his baseball though.

Anyway, it took a while but this has gotten under my skin and again, I apologize to anyone that this has either annoyed or offended. Also, you are right, no one is gaining anything from it. I think I should probably take a break from posting here for a while to avoid any further confrontation and interrupting anyone else's baseball conversations as I am not sure if I am at the point yet where I can just keep my mouth shut about it.

So, I will see you all a little closer to Spring Training and I promise not to return until I feel like can either get along with him or at least avoid any senseless confrontation.

Baseball can't get here fast enough. Until, then and as always GO RANGERS!!!

awww dangit RD....don't think you should worry about it so much
I wish you didn't feel like you have to leave, you had an opinion, and that's what the board is for. A lot of us have known you for awhile and you're hardly a poster who looks to argue just for the sake of arguing

well, make sure and swing by if nothing else. And always remember, Bmurph and I will still pay for the arrangement should it be necessary...or just for fun, because it is the A's afterall
;)

I don't see why you need to leave for awhile, but that's certainly your call.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Andrus is already there, then how is he going to play SS?

All of this speculation is based on the premise that we have Profar, Andrus & Odor

Assuming all the Profar, Andrus and Odor speculations and premises are accurate ... I'm with Lainey. If Profar retains high SS values he may be more of a trade asset than he would taking on a higher SLG output role at 3b which doesn't demand high quality SS defensive toolset.

Sure ... Profar might turn out to have superior SLG numbers as a middle infielder ... but does that mean he can carry the cleanup job displacing Adrian Beltre. Don't know ... but before TEX sends him over to Rawlings to get a new 3bman glove they might want to see what he would return on the greater SS market.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming all the Profar, Andrus and Odor speculations and premises are accurate ... I'm with Lainey. If Profar retains high SS values he may be more of a trade asset than he would taking on a higher SLG output role at 3b which doesn't demand high quality SS defensive toolset.

Sure ... Profar might turn out to have superior SLG numbers as a middle infielder ... but does that mean he can carry the cleanup job displacing Adrian Beltre. Don't know ... but before TEX sends him over to Rawlings to get a new 3bman glove they might want to see what he would return on the greater SS market.

Depends on the return, I've only premised this based on he already has a solid power swing and he's built like a toothpick

There's no telling what the effect of added weight just from natural growth will have on him, maybe SS isn't in his future after all

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
instead of Tanaka how about Suk-Min Yoon?

Yoon is on the small side, standing at an even six feet and weighing 180 pounds. He throws in the mid-90s, though, and complements his fastball with a hard, biting slider and a change-up that MLB scouts describe as above average. Though a starter, he has only thrown what we would consider an entire season's work (~175+ IP) once, in 2011. As best I can gather, the average starter in the KBO throws around 150 to 180 innings, making 25 to 30 starts, per season, often supplementing those starts with relief outings here and there.

Watched some video on him and here are my first impressions.

I think he's got great stuff. Better stuff then Tanaka. His fastball is on a lower plane however but it was faster than tanaka's and looks like it had a little run on it. His off speed has great late action and his changeup, even though it looked like he had difficulty controlling it, had fantastic movement. But he is such a small lanky body that I have trouble believing he's gonna fare going 200 + innings and throwing every 5 days. Depending on what he would want, he might be worth a shot. If we could sign him for relatively cheap, I don't see why we wouldnt want to at least work with him. His changeup has the potential to be his best off speed. He has nothing flashy like darvish's slider or tanaka's splitter YET though. He's just so small and has no foundation of a body to build on. I would be more confident if he had some sort of muscle or even fat that he could convert, but he doesnt have that. I know, you don't need much muscle to be a good pitcher, but you definitely need muscle in order to stay healthy and throw 200 innings every year. I had never heard his name before though. Sorta interesting video. His mechanics would have to be altered to more american styles. He would be a project, but his stuff is promising enough that if we could get him for cheap, we should consider it

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think Tepesch would be better served by him pitching at AAA this coming season

Scotty ... remember two weeks ago when we all last had this conversation?

TEX isn't looking to install him at the top of the rotation. Tepesch won the #5 job out of camp last year and put up better rookie year numbers than either Holland or Harrison did in their rookie seasons.

Will there be a competition for the #5 spot amongst Ogando, Tepesch, Colby and a couple of other guys ... but we ought to not all be surprised if Nick Tepesch wins the spot.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Ogando was effective? I said effective not healthy

Tepesch was good in April, 4 games, 2-1, 2.53 ERA. he got less effective as the season progressed. his ERA in May was 4.94, June 5.97 and in his one game in July his ERA was 7.20

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you made my point better than I did, sometimes (maybe to my detriment) I just assume some of these explanations aren't needed...and maybe they aren't, you're just a better 'writer'

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... remember two weeks ago when we all last had this conversation?

TEX isn't looking to install him at the top of the rotation. Tepesch won the #5 job out of camp last year and put up better rookie year numbers than either Holland or Harrison did in their rookie seasons.

Will there be a competition for the #5 spot amongst Ogando, Tepesch, Colby and a couple of other guys ... but we ought to not all be surprised if Nick Tepesch wins the spot.

i understand he won the #5 spot by default because we had no one else to put out there. i think he will be a positive starter one day but i think he needs time at AAA to refine his skills.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you made my point better than I did, sometimes (maybe to my detriment) I just assume some of these explanations aren't needed...and maybe they aren't, you're just a better 'writer'

No explanation was needed, you were assuming a trade was taking place, I wasn't, simple as that

Based on this premise, we should trade Profar now b/c he's being underutilized at 2B on a value perspective

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand he won the #5 spot by default because we had no one else to put out there. i think he will be a positive starter one day but i think he needs time at AAA to refine his skills.

He didn't win by default, he EARNED the job

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tepesch was good in April, 4 games, 2-1, 2.53 ERA. he got less effective as the season progressed. his ERA in May was 4.94, June 5.97 and in his one game in July his ERA was 7.20

3 of his 5 starts in May were very good but June he had 3 straight bad starts with the first one actually being a 1-1 game going into the 6th inning. The one start in July the Rangers led 10-0 going into the 6th and he gave up 4 runs. It was a great learning experience for him going from AA to MLB.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of his 5 starts in May were very good but June he had 3 straight bad starts with the first one actually being a 1-1 game going into the 6th inning. The one start in July the Rangers led 10-0 going into the 6th and he gave up 4 runs. It was a great learning experience for him going from AA to MLB.

okay, okay. y'all think he's ready, i don't think he is right now. it is called opinion, you have yours i have mine