• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Ogando was effective? I said effective not healthy

effective is a little arbitrary, I don't think he was as effective as he was in the past...then again, he was hurt much of the time.
"effective and healthy" aren't necessarily mutually exclusive

the questionfor me is, has he proven he can stay healthy or
is he durable enough to be a starter
My opinion is no, but once again, I love him out the pen

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, okay. y'all think he's ready, i don't think he is right now. it is called opinion, you have yours i have mine

Out of guys that made 10+ starts, he was 4th in K/9 at 7.61 ahead of Grimm, Ogando & Perez

2nd in BB/9 behind only Garza at 2.44

1st in GB% at 49.3

4th in FIP at 4.16 (Darvish, Holland, Garza)

2nd in xFIP (Darvish)

5th in WAR at 1.2 (ahead of Ogando in 1 fewer start and fewer innings than all but Garza)

His biggest issue was the long ball and a little bit of bad luck

By the way outside of regular ERA he beat Martin Perez and Ogando in every peripheral besides HR/9 & HR/FB

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
effective is a little arbitrary, I don't think he was as effective as he was in the past...then again, he was hurt much of the time.

I like him out of the pen as well as he can let loose. As a starter I just know that he will eventually end up on the DL and we will have to move someone in his spot. If he goes on the DL out of the pen it is a little easier to me to fill that spot. Losing a starter seems to have quite a domino affect in hoping you have someone ready to fit right into that every 5th day spot and if not you may end up using someone that you hope gets you 3-4 innings and then you stretch your bullpen even more.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, okay. y'all think he's ready, i don't think he is right now. it is called opinion, you have yours i have mine
Scottie I can't be for certain but with a years experience now plus ST ahead there is a good possibility he will win the #5 spot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was meant to be arbitrary, I was trying to make a gut decision about what HE THOUGHT, WHEN HE PITCHED, he couldn't even do that

So I moved on

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Turned McGuiness into a pitcher, how good or bad he is, I don't know, but he wasn't given away for nothing, thats a plus

**Looking at his minor league numbers, looks like he could be a solid bullpen contributor going forward, and he's 25, can't ask for much more from McGuinnes**

Miles Mikolas Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

Hey JTA ... turns out we ended up being clairvoyantly right! Rafael Ortega got the axe ... to make room for Mikolas... who TEX got in exchange for McGuiness ... who was punted to make room for Choo.

Getting any pitcher in exchange for McGuiness is a great deal!

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of guys that made 10+ starts, he was 4th in K/9 at 7.61 ahead of Grimm, Ogando & Perez

2nd in BB/9 behind only Garza at 2.44

1st in GB% at 49.3

4th in FIP at 4.16

2nd in xFIP

5th in WAR at 1.2 (ahead of Ogando in 1 fewer start)

His biggest issue was the long ball and a little bit of bad luck

By the way outside of regular ERA he beat Martin Perez and Ogando in every peripheral besides HR/9 & HR/FB

I thought it was Tepesch that developed problems getting through line-ups, sure those stats are fine, but others do show he declined

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey JTA ... turns out we ended up being clairvoyantly right! Rafael Ortega got the axe ... to make room for Mikolas... who TEX got in exchange for McGuiness ... who was punted to make room for Choo.

Getting any pitcher in exchange for McGuiness is a great deal!

Hope Mikolas turns out to be a gem. An O'Day type surprise.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because we started the season with Feliz on the 60-day DL & Lewis & Perez on the 15-day DL, so he did earn it by default

Well Feliz and Lewis we knew were going to miss the start of the season, so Perez is the only one that's injury played a factor in him getting it by "default"

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought it was Tepesch that developed problems getting through line-ups, sure those stats are fine, but others do show he declined

Yes ... he had difficulty getting through the lineups ... something his opposition didn't have getting through TEX batting order.

Tepesch had the worst run support of all TEX SPs in 2013.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true, but his peripherals are pretty outstanding, the HR thing and getting through the lineup will only get better by pitching to ML lineups and gaining experience

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because we started the season with Feliz on the 60-day DL & Lewis & Perez on the 15-day DL, so he did earn it by default

Just messin' with you but I thought you either earn or get it by default. Not earn by default.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also sent Ross back to the bullpen and re-assigned a couple other guys to AAA during the competition in ST. That was after Feliz, Lewis, and Perez were all on the DL. So no, it was not by default. Maybe not the wishful thinking of the FO choice, but Tepesch did win the #5 out of the available options. Period.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also sent Ross back to the bullpen and re-assigned a couple other guys to AAA during the competition in ST. That was after Feliz, Lewis, and Perez were all on the DL. So no, it was not by default. Maybe not the wishful thinking of the FO choice, but Tepesch did win the #5 out of the available options. Period.

I forgot about Ross, and Ross did not pitch poorly, they just chose to go with Tepesch, good memory!