• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Babe's Chicken, also fantastic, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, we had ESPN's restaurant on the list for today, but we had to leave yesterday, as I mentioned.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA, you brought it back up

I posted the numbers and calculated a few things for fun… I don't need to prove anything to you, the numbers are what they are. Besides it tough to stay on point with you in a conversation and I don't have the energy.

On top of that, nether of us really know what type of investment it would be or what his future looks like… so its a waste of both of our time arguing one way or another, not to mention naive to think we have any valid predictions of the future on anyones career.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Babe's Chicken, also fantastic, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, we had ESPN's restaurant on the list for today, but we had to leave yesterday, as I mentioned.

I'm not sure if I was in on that recommendation but yeah.. it is fantastic. Glad you all had a good time.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted the numbers and calculated a few things for fun… I don't need to prove anything to you, the numbers are what they are. Besides it tough to stay on point with you in a conversation and I don't have the energy.

On top of that, nether of us really know what type of investment it would be or what his future looks like… so its a waste of both of our time arguing one way or another, not to mention naive to think we have any valid predictions of the future on anyones career.

Its your world boss, have fun

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part about the catch was my scream before hitting the ground, (not even the catch) a lot laughs there.
:D
it was tons of fun, that's for sure...and once again, what a fantastic Stadium

Thanks RD

Fantastic stadium.... Horrible team and owner in it tho :(

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man I had about 5 or 6 pages of reading to catch up here and all it was was constant bickering and fighting! haha This just proves that if we don't get some exciting baseball news of the season start soon we are all gonna kill each other out of boredom! And we are considering catching a game together as well...that proposal just got even more interesting now!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man I had about 5 or 6 pages of reading to catch up here and all it was was constant bickering and fighting! haha This just proves that if we don't get some exciting baseball news of the season start soon we are all gonna kill each other out of boredom! And we are considering catching a game together as well...that proposal just got even more interesting now![/QUOTE We could do with less senseless bickering and fighting.:bullshit:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know baseball is so goofy sometimes. You have an international pool that governs spending of Latin American players and anyone can go after those players. You now have a free for all on Japanese players but must be willing to pay a $20 mill fee if you do end up negotiating a contract and then U.S players must go through a draft process and I believe their salaries are dictated by draft position. Back when the Yankees had the upper hand with George Steinbrenner throwing money around like crazy they had a big advantage in the Latin America/Cuba market. Ever wonder why they all are not just subject to a draft.

Just thought I would say something since nothing much is going on. Yawn. Is it time for baseball yet?

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you disagree or saying you don't like bickering and fighting?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you disagree or saying you don't like bickering and fighting?
Do not like it. I said we could do with less of it. That does not apply to good debates. This is a board with knowledgeable people. Everyone can learn from them in good debates but senseless bickering and such nobody gains from it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it for what you will, as there's quite a bit of fallacy in any of these rankings

1. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles posted pictures of their Gold Glove winners in their spring training facility, and with good reason: Buck Showalter’s club has continued the organizational tradition -- fostered by the likes of Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, Cal Ripken Jr. and others -- of strong defense. The best of the group is third baseman Manny Machado (“The best at his position, and it’s not close,” said one evaluator), although we don’t know what condition he'll be in during his first months back on the field since having knee surgery.

They have Gold Glove defenders at shortstop (J.J. Hardy), center field (Adam Jones) and at catcher (Matt Wieters). Right fielder Nick Markakis and first baseman Chris Davis are solid defenders, and newcomer David Lough posted one of the best UZR/150 ratings among outfielders with at least 650 innings last season. If Jonathan Schoop gets a lot of playing time at second base, he’ll be regarded as a plus defensively.

It’s inarguable that so far this winter the Orioles have lost ground, surrendering Jim Johnson in a salary dump and letting Nate McLouth and Brian Roberts move on. If they are to contend next season, their defense will be the backbone of their success.

2. Kansas City Royals

Kansas City is strong defensively at every position, with Salvador Perez (“One of the more underrated catchers,” says one evaluator), Alcides Escobar (“He was Andrelton Simmons before Simmons arrived,” says another evaluator), Eric Hosmer, Omar Infante and Mike Moustakas. Alex Gordon has been one of the most dominant defensive left fielders in the last decade, and Norichika Aoki and Lorenzo Cain are regarded as plus players with the glove. As Justin Havens of ESPN Stats and Information noted, the Royals finished last season as MLB’s best in defensive runs saved. You could easily make a case for them being No. 1 on this list.

3. Atlanta Braves

Oh, sure, many scouts believe they are average or below average at catcher, third base, second base and left field. But they have the Miguel Cabrera of defenders, shortstop Andrelton Simmons. Last summer, when I asked Atlanta coach Terry Pendleton how he would compare Simmons with his former teammate Ozzie Smith, he referred to Simmons as “The Difference” -- as in the difference between the Braves being successful or not. Simmons makes difficult plays, routine plays and plays in all directions.

He led MLB in defensive runs saved last year, and to have a shortstop that much better than any other -- Simmons’ DRS total is more than three times that of any other player at his position -- is an incredible weapon. Jason Heyward is a Gold Glove right fielder and Freddie Freeman is also considered a plus defender.

4. Arizona Diamondbacks

I heard from evaluators who love the Diamondbacks’ defense -- and perhaps might have ranked them first overall. “Great gloves all over the place,” said one AL executive. According to an NL evaluator, Arizona has “above-average defense at all infield positions -- the best defensive infield in baseball, in my mind. [Gerardo] Parra is an impact defender in the outfield. [A.J.] Pollock is underrated.” Havens added: “I think Arizona deserves top-five consideration. They were second among all teams in defensive runs saved last season. Outstanding outfield defense -- including Parra, one of the best -- and Paul Goldschmidt was also outstanding last year.”

5. Texas Rangers

Shin-Soo Choo was below average as a center fielder, but as a left fielder he could have a lot of impact with his throwing arm in the way that Gordon does. The Rangers have one of the greatest defensive third basemen of all time in Adrian Beltre, shortstop Elvis Andrus is excellent, Jurickson Profar should be really good at second base and center fielder Leonys Martin and right fielder Alex Rios are also good defenders.

6. Tampa Bay Rays

The retention of James Loney, a first baseman who throws well and actually likes to throw -- not always the case with players at his position -- is key for the Rays. Evan Longoria is a three-time Gold Glover at third base, Yunel Escobar is a good shortstop and Ben Zobrist is sound wherever he plays. The Rays also have two catchers they regard as very good defensively and are masters at framing pitches: Jose Molina and Ryan Hanigan. Desmond Jennings is a really good center fielder, flanked by former center fielders in David DeJesus and Wil Myers.

7. St. Louis Cardinals

Generally speaking, the Cardinals are not an elite defensive team. They have defenders considered by rival evaluators to be average to below-average in a lot of spots: first base (Matt Adams), third base (Matt Carpenter), shortstop (Jhonny Peralta), left field (Matt Holliday) and right field (Allen Craig). But the Cardinals now have a high-end center fielder in Peter Bourjos, and the ability of catcher Yadier Molina is beyond comparison. Last year, the Cardinals allowed only 39 stolen bases in 65 attempts, by far the fewest in the majors.

8. Colorado Rockies

According to defensive metrics, Nolan Arenado is not that far behind Machado for his acumen with the glove, and he and Troy Tulowitzki provide what is arguably the best left-side defense in the majors.

9. Cincinnati Reds

Brandon Phillips has won Gold Gloves at second base and Joey Votto is extremely aggressive with his positioning. “To me, it’s the best right-side defense,” said one evaluator. Billy Hamilton will be an upgrade over Choo in center field, and Jay Bruce is one of baseball’s best right fielders.

10. Pittsburgh Pirates

Andrew McCutchen runs down everything in center field, Starling Marte rated well in left field and Russell Martin scored high for his defense at catcher. Part of the reason why the Pirates pitched so well is because of the work Pittsburgh did defensively, employing shifts.

Honorable mention: The Milwaukee Brewers, with Carlos Gomez, Jean Segura and Jonathan Lucroy through the middle of the diamond; the Detroit Tigers, who should be greatly improved by Jose Iglesias at shortstop (I still can’t believe he got to this ball). Other possibilities include the Oakland Athletics and Washington Nationals.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not like it. I said we could do with less of it. That does not apply to good debates. This is a board with knowledgeable people. Everyone can learn from them in good debates but senseless bickering and such nobody gains from it.

:agree:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing that would help is people not getting so butt hurt when people disagree with them...

Comments like, "You disagree hoooooow surprising" get old after awhile, come back with something better than that, I mean at least a well formed opinion, not some chicken-shit passive aggressive statement

that automatically is taking a potential baseball debate to the bickering stage

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks that was an interesting read on team defense

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks that was an interesting read on team defense

Its something, its a quick read and gives some insight, there's some bias in it, and he frequently uses advanced metrics when it suits him but reverts to "Gold Gloves" when it doesn't

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it for what you will, as there's quite a bit of fallacy in any of these rankings

1. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles posted pictures of their Gold Glove winners in their spring training facility, and with good reason: Buck Showalter’s club has continued the organizational tradition -- fostered by the likes of Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, Cal Ripken Jr. and others -- of strong defense. The best of the group is third baseman Manny Machado (“The best at his position, and it’s not close,” said one evaluator), although we don’t know what condition he'll be in during his first months back on the field since having knee surgery.

They have Gold Glove defenders at shortstop (J.J. Hardy), center field (Adam Jones) and at catcher (Matt Wieters). Right fielder Nick Markakis and first baseman Chris Davis are solid defenders, and newcomer David Lough posted one of the best UZR/150 ratings among outfielders with at least 650 innings last season. If Jonathan Schoop gets a lot of playing time at second base, he’ll be regarded as a plus defensively.

It’s inarguable that so far this winter the Orioles have lost ground, surrendering Jim Johnson in a salary dump and letting Nate McLouth and Brian Roberts move on. If they are to contend next season, their defense will be the backbone of their success.

2. Kansas City Royals

Kansas City is strong defensively at every position, with Salvador Perez (“One of the more underrated catchers,” says one evaluator), Alcides Escobar (“He was Andrelton Simmons before Simmons arrived,” says another evaluator), Eric Hosmer, Omar Infante and Mike Moustakas. Alex Gordon has been one of the most dominant defensive left fielders in the last decade, and Norichika Aoki and Lorenzo Cain are regarded as plus players with the glove. As Justin Havens of ESPN Stats and Information noted, the Royals finished last season as MLB’s best in defensive runs saved. You could easily make a case for them being No. 1 on this list.

3. Atlanta Braves

Oh, sure, many scouts believe they are average or below average at catcher, third base, second base and left field. But they have the Miguel Cabrera of defenders, shortstop Andrelton Simmons. Last summer, when I asked Atlanta coach Terry Pendleton how he would compare Simmons with his former teammate Ozzie Smith, he referred to Simmons as “The Difference” -- as in the difference between the Braves being successful or not. Simmons makes difficult plays, routine plays and plays in all directions.

He led MLB in defensive runs saved last year, and to have a shortstop that much better than any other -- Simmons’ DRS total is more than three times that of any other player at his position -- is an incredible weapon. Jason Heyward is a Gold Glove right fielder and Freddie Freeman is also considered a plus defender.

4. Arizona Diamondbacks

I heard from evaluators who love the Diamondbacks’ defense -- and perhaps might have ranked them first overall. “Great gloves all over the place,” said one AL executive. According to an NL evaluator, Arizona has “above-average defense at all infield positions -- the best defensive infield in baseball, in my mind. [Gerardo] Parra is an impact defender in the outfield. [A.J.] Pollock is underrated.” Havens added: “I think Arizona deserves top-five consideration. They were second among all teams in defensive runs saved last season. Outstanding outfield defense -- including Parra, one of the best -- and Paul Goldschmidt was also outstanding last year.”

5. Texas Rangers

Shin-Soo Choo was below average as a center fielder, but as a left fielder he could have a lot of impact with his throwing arm in the way that Gordon does. The Rangers have one of the greatest defensive third basemen of all time in Adrian Beltre, shortstop Elvis Andrus is excellent, Jurickson Profar should be really good at second base and center fielder Leonys Martin and right fielder Alex Rios are also good defenders.

6. Tampa Bay Rays

The retention of James Loney, a first baseman who throws well and actually likes to throw -- not always the case with players at his position -- is key for the Rays. Evan Longoria is a three-time Gold Glover at third base, Yunel Escobar is a good shortstop and Ben Zobrist is sound wherever he plays. The Rays also have two catchers they regard as very good defensively and are masters at framing pitches: Jose Molina and Ryan Hanigan. Desmond Jennings is a really good center fielder, flanked by former center fielders in David DeJesus and Wil Myers.

7. St. Louis Cardinals

Generally speaking, the Cardinals are not an elite defensive team. They have defenders considered by rival evaluators to be average to below-average in a lot of spots: first base (Matt Adams), third base (Matt Carpenter), shortstop (Jhonny Peralta), left field (Matt Holliday) and right field (Allen Craig). But the Cardinals now have a high-end center fielder in Peter Bourjos, and the ability of catcher Yadier Molina is beyond comparison. Last year, the Cardinals allowed only 39 stolen bases in 65 attempts, by far the fewest in the majors.

8. Colorado Rockies

According to defensive metrics, Nolan Arenado is not that far behind Machado for his acumen with the glove, and he and Troy Tulowitzki provide what is arguably the best left-side defense in the majors.

9. Cincinnati Reds

Brandon Phillips has won Gold Gloves at second base and Joey Votto is extremely aggressive with his positioning. “To me, it’s the best right-side defense,” said one evaluator. Billy Hamilton will be an upgrade over Choo in center field, and Jay Bruce is one of baseball’s best right fielders.

10. Pittsburgh Pirates

Andrew McCutchen runs down everything in center field, Starling Marte rated well in left field and Russell Martin scored high for his defense at catcher. Part of the reason why the Pirates pitched so well is because of the work Pittsburgh did defensively, employing shifts.

Honorable mention: The Milwaukee Brewers, with Carlos Gomez, Jean Segura and Jonathan Lucroy through the middle of the diamond; the Detroit Tigers, who should be greatly improved by Jose Iglesias at shortstop (I still can’t believe he got to this ball). Other possibilities include the Oakland Athletics and Washington Nationals.

I like the fact that Oakland is only listed as a "possibility"....and Yadi only allowed 39 stolen bases?
freaking crazy. Now I want to know if we were one of those 39, ha.
Who wrote it? I don't really take too much stock in predictions, but it's nice to see us in the top 5

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the fact that Oakland is only listed as a "possibility"....and Yadi only allowed 39 stolen bases?
Who wrote it? I don't really take too much stock in predictions, but it's nice to see us in the top 5

Buster Olney

Oakland will get a pretty big boost from having Gentry, it almost hurts to say

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fangraphs says Molina allowed 26 stolen bases in 46 attempts

39 is what the Cardinals allowded