• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why even bring it up then? it offered nothing of relevance to the point you were trying to make

I was responding to WindingmyWatch's comment about him being over DH's that are defensive liabilities. Actually, it is relevant because he was referring to Cruz and or Morales who I would like to see us add.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overstating the difference between Rios batting 5th or 6th, its not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be

Morales and Cruz make us better, but its not near the jump people want it to be, they are just falling in love with names they like

It is a big jump..... What if Martin plays like he did in winter ball, what if Moreland plays like he did in the second half of last year, what if Profar doesn't show the big improvement fans are hoping for?, what if Soto strikes out a lot?..... The bottom 4 of the lineup all have big questions to answer. If we get Cruz or Morales, the lineup would have 6 reliable hitters. I could live with the bottom of the order being a question mark, but not 4 out of 9 slots that is almost half of the lineup.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with their names. I like a power bat behind the clean up hitter.
I don't think anyone is ruling that out. Throwing options out that have possibilities. Cruz or Morales may not end up here for what ever reason. Baker and Mitch is not the worse case scenario.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was responding to WindingmyWatch's comment about him being over DH's that are defensive liabilities. Actually, it is relevant because he was referring to Cruz and or Morales who I would like to see us add.

Ha, my bad, i could've swore you quoted me on that, just a misread on my part

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a big jump..... What if Martin plays like he did in winter ball, what if Moreland plays like he did in the second half of last year, what if Profar doesn't show the big improvement fans are hoping for?, what if Soto strikes out a lot?..... The bottom 4 of the lineup all have big questions to answer. If we get Cruz or Morales, the lineup would have 6 reliable hitters. I could live with the bottom of the order being a question mark, but not 4 out of 9 slots that is almost half of the lineup.

What if Cruz stinks up the joint as his regressing numbers tend to indicate, what if Morales is just mediocre? lets be fair he only hit a couple more HRs than Rios... I can play the what if game too

Once again, he difference is not as great as people want it to be

Bringing Martin, Profar and Soto does nothing to the argument, they'll be batting where they are with Rios hitting 5th or Morales/Cruz hitting 5th

If they suck, it'll be with either option there, they are irrelevant to the point

Cruz isn't what I would call a reliable hitter, he has power that's it

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is ruling that out. Throwing options out that have possibilities. Cruz or Morales may not end up here for what ever reason. Baker and Mitch is not the worse case scenario.

I would've liked Corey Hart. I think he would have been a good RH bat to platoon with Mitch if that's the route JD is going to take. I guess we'll get a good look at how he responds to being out for a year, since he signed with the M's.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've liked Corey Hart. I think he would have been a good RH bat to platoon with Mitch if that's the route JD is going to take. I guess we'll get a good look at how he responds to being out for a year, since he signed with the M's.

I wouldn't have minded Corey Hart the DH, but the injury and time off was certainly a concern

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overstating the difference between Rios batting 5th or 6th, its not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be

Morales and Cruz make us better, but its not near the jump people want it to be, they are just falling in love with names they like

Two wins better might be huge though. Difference between 95 and 93 wins and a division perhaps.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have minded Corey Hart the DH, but the injury and time off was certainly a concern

He has a career .300 BA/ .370 OBP against LH pitchers. Oh well. I think he would have been a good addition. I hope he doesn't kill our LH starters.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two wins better might be huge though. Difference between 95 and 93 wins and a division perhaps.

I doubt that would even be that big of a difference

Moreland .7 WAR 518 plate appearances (.88 in 657 plate appearances)

Cruz 1.5 in 456 (2.16 in 657)

Morales 1.2 in 657

Mind you Moreland and Cruz both played defense & Morales did not, not sure how much that added to either's WAR though, as Cruz is a pretty substandard defender & Moreland is about neutral