• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure I am in the minority here… but maybe not. If we got the funds, I prefer we go after a DH. I think we have plenty of depth at pitching. I agree that you can never have enough pitching though and who know how Harry will be this season. I just think we would probably benefit from having a good DH slightly more than adding another SP. That being said, last season and the way went for our starters really is the ultimate justification to go after a SP instead.

You can never have enough pitching. I am over DH's with a defensive or medical liability. You spend money on a DH and he does a "Murphy or Face" at the plate for a year you are dead. Add the right bench bat that plays a skill position and let the hot bat DH.

Add another catcher to the bench and let Arencibia DH on the right side and Mitch DH on the left side. Spend the money on pitching.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing on cruz at all. The scouts have the entire week off, I'm pretty sure what he told me today was from prior discussions

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never have enough pitching. I am over DH's with a defensive or medical liability. You spend money on a DH and he does a "Murphy or Face" at the plate for a year you are dead. Add the right bench bat that plays a skill position and let the hot bat DH.

Add another catcher to the bench and let Arencibia DH on the right side and Mitch DH on the left side. Spend the money on pitching.
I agree, as we witnessed last year, we can never have enough pitching.

I also don't want to lose a draft pick on Morales. Re-sign Baker, let him and Mitch trade off DH duties. The idea of an extra catcher has some merit as well, but I'm favoring Baker. Cruz can join the Orioles...

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, as we witnessed last year, we can never have enough pitching.

I also don't want to lose a draft pick on Morales. Re-sign Baker, let him and Mitch trade off DH duties. The idea of an extra catcher has some merit as well, but I'm favoring Baker. Cruz can join the Orioles...

With Moreland able to roll in the OF on a temporary basis

Profar's ability to play SS, and Beltre to play CF, if you bring in a guy like Chironos to be the 3rd C

And still allows you to have Rosales on the bench as well

That's a bench and DH of Moreland, JPA/Soto, Chironos, Rosales & Beltre and allows you to rotate the DH between Moreland & JPA/Soto

leaving Beltre to be your late inning pinch runner and defensive replacement if need be

Its not the worst plan in the world, especially if you're looking for more power from the DH position, JPA & Moreland certainly provide quite a bit

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Profar's ability to play SS, and Beltre to play CF, if you bring in a guy like Chironos to be the 3rd C

That's a bench and DH of Moreland, JPA/Soto, Chironos, Rosales & Beltre and allows you to rotate the DH between Moreland & JPA/Soto

leaving Beltre to be your late inning pinch runner and defensive replacement if need be

Its not the worst plan in the world, especially if you're looking for more power from the DH position, JPA & Moreland certainly provide quite a bit
You know, this isn't bad at all...Rosales can backup 3rd and 2nd.

Lets get a MORP - damn, I'm still discouraged about Fister being heisted by the Nats. What a super move that was...he would have been perfect at RBiA...

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well ... with that summation I figured I was ready for ST. But then realized ... its still 50 and a wake up to P/C report. Seems quite a long time from now. Something more is going to happen.

oh ... changed my signature. Dude said it just a bit ago. Thought I'd adopt it. Worthwhile realizing we are real lucky if we are right half the time.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You want Arencibia and his career.226 BA/.266 OBP against LH to DH? No thanks on that one. Most of the time they are DH's because they have a defensive liability. Morales or Cruz would really round out this line-up. I don't like Rios in the 5 hole.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You want Arencibia and his career.226 BA/.266 OBP against LH to DH? No thanks on that one. Most of the time they are DH's because they have a defensive liability. Morales or Cruz would really round out this line-up. I don't like Rios in the 5 hole.

Well ... I see didn't take long at all to fulfill my new perspective. Sound perspective Justin. Arencibia has all of 37 ML HRs. Seven of them at RBIA off an assortment of TEX pitchers. Guess there is little chance of him doing more of that now.

I don't like Rios batting 5th either. Am not a Kendry Morales fan though either. Dnd doubt Cruz signs with TEX either. So DH has to be sorted out I suppose.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want Morales or Cruz, but I'm also not willing to see JD grossly overspend to do so

People who DH don't HAVE to be a defensive liability, in fact when they are the are also a roster liability as well, see Lance Berkman,

That being said, I assumed JPA was better against LH pitchers than that, I assumed his main problem was against RH pitchers, oh well, squash that bring in Baker in that case and drop Chironos from the 25 man

You don't have to like Rios in the 5 hole but its certainly not the big deal you make it out to be, its actually the spot he's had an .806 career OPS, he's been better at 1 & 2 spots (.823 & .940 respectively)

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ... I see didn't take long at all to fulfill my new perspective. Sound perspective Justin. Arencibia has all of 37 ML HRs. Seven of them at RBIA off an assortment of TEX pitchers. Guess there is little chance of him doing more of that now.

I don't like Rios batting 5th either. Am not a Kendry Morales fan though either. Dnd doubt Cruz signs with TEX either. So DH has to be sorted out I suppose.

I'm sure JP will get some days at DH. You never know, the change of scenery could help him too. I know he has good power. I just don't know if he has enough power to offset his terrible OBP. I'm hoping Moreland continues where he left off when he got hurt last year. I am still a Mitch fan, but if he struggles we will be in trouble.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not that its breaking news, but we WILL post the fee for tanaka.

Whenever Mitch Williams talks I want to throw my beer through my tv. He's my least favorite on air personality in any medium ever. He has no earthly idea what he is talking about ever. Just made Tanaka look like the next freakin cy young. Showed a highlight of him throwing a 96 mph fb ONE TIME and said "he's got the stuff." And he said usually pitchers just throw their splitter and hope it does what they want it to do, but he can locate it. Then he tried to prove he could locate it by showing him throwing a splitter in the dirt with 2 strikes as opposed to not bouncing it with less. Freakin someone please just hurt this man

I don't like Joe Buck more.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ... with that summation I figured I was ready for ST. But then realized ... its still 50 and a wake up to P/C report. Seems quite a long time from now. Something more is going to happen.

oh ... changed my signature. Dude said it just a bit ago. Thought I'd adopt it. Worthwhile realizing we are real lucky if we are right half the time.

Thats awesome you are going to adopt what I said as your signature but I wouldn't or should I say would't adopt my spelling.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Morales or Cruz, but I'm also not willing to see JD grossly overspend to do so

People who DH don't HAVE to be a defensive liability, in fact when they are the are also a roster liability as well, see Lance Berkman,

That being said, I assumed JPA was better against LH pitchers than that, I assumed his main problem was against RH pitchers, oh well, squash that bring in Baker in that case and drop Chironos from the 25 man

You don't have to like Rios in the 5 hole but its certainly not the big deal you make it out to be, its actually the spot he's had an .806 career OPS, he's been better at 1 & 2 spots (.823 & .940 respectively)
JTA, do we have any info on Baker since he failed his physical? He may not even be available. Just asking b/c I haven't heard a word.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure JP will get some days at DH. You never know, the change of scenery could help him too. I know he has good power. I just don't know if he has enough power to offset his terrible OBP. I'm hoping Moreland continues where he left off when he got hurt last year. I am still a Mitch fan, but if he struggles we will be in trouble.

Actually much of premise was based on the fact that Soto would be DHing and JPA would be catching against LHPs, to give Soto a day off behind the plate

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Few things... I never said they HAVE to be a defensive liability.

I don't think I make it a big deal, but it's not Rios' numbers that's the reason I prefer him out of the 5 hole. If he's the 5 hole hitter then the bottom of the order is weak. I just think the line-up is much more potent with him behind Cruz/Morales. I said before we signed Choo that I didn't feel like he would be enough. If the kids at the bottom don't hit better than they did, then we will struggle at the bottom of the line-up. Just like we did last year. There were too many easy outs.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JTA, do we have any info on Baker since he failed his physical? He may not even be available. Just asking b/c I haven't heard a word.

He was playing at the end of the year, not well but playing... I'm assuming its just something that needs time off to heal

That said I haven't heard anything one way or another about him since he almost signed with SF

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things... I never said they HAVE to be a defensive liability.

I don't think I make it a big deal, but it's not Rios' numbers that's the reason I prefer him out of the 5 hole. If he's the 5 hole hitter then the bottom of the order is weak. I just think the line-up is much more potent with him behind Cruz/Morales. I said before we signed Choo that I didn't feel like he would be enough. If the kids at the bottom don't hit better than they did, then we will struggle at the bottom of the line-up. Just like we did last year. There were too many easy outs.

I think you're overstating the difference between Rios batting 5th or 6th, its not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be

Morales and Cruz make us better, but its not near the jump people want it to be, they are just falling in love with names they like

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was playing at the end of the year, not well but playing... I'm assuming its just something that needs time off to heal

That said I haven't heard anything one way or another about him since he almost signed with SF
Thanks . Looks like a challenge to see if we can find out . Think he could fit in nicely if healthy.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overstating the difference between Rios batting 5th or 6th, its not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be

Morales and Cruz make us better, but its not near the jump people want it to be, they are just falling in love with names they like

It has nothing to do with their names. I like a power bat behind the clean up hitter.