• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas to all of you, I've been away for awhile but checking in periodically when able to read your posts.

Adding Tanaka would be exciting...but I really don't think we will be able to out bid the Yanks and Dodgers for him ( but we can have a good time driving up his price!!). But one of my biggest concerns is what will this mean for Darvish's mental frame of mind (no matter who signs him) seeing his "workout partner" getting such a comparable huge contract with Darvish sitting on a 5 year $56 million deal....Rangers may be forced into an extension that gets him equal money??? And what if by some miracle we do get Tanaka to sign with us?? A reworking of Darvish's contract maybe in order....honestly, may not be a bad idea anyway to try and lock him up as a Ranger for many more years...

I don't think he'd be affected too much honestly, I'm pretty sure he realizes that the different posting system is the reason that Tanaka will probably be making more money. If Darvish had been posted under these rules he'd probably get a lot more than Tanaka would since nearly everybody except that one scout agrees that Darvish is better than Tanaka.

Also it's not really in his best interests to sign an extension right now (he's got at least 3 years left on his current contract) unless he loves playing in Texas and wants to stay for a lot longer. He'll probably sign an extension with a year left on his contract or just become a free agent and watch everyone get into a massive bidding war over him.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure I would want us to sign Tanaka. Taking on another 6-7 year contract right now isn't a good idea IMO. Especially with the unknown factor. I think the much safer play is to add Cruz or Morales. Then we could move Mitch for a young starter under club control that won't cost us 16-20 AAV.

The question that would be asked though if we would move Mitch, would the starter be as good as Tanaka? I don't think Tanaka is an ace, but I do think he's a good #3 type of guy and those guys aren't that easy to find.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand why it takes a month for a team to place a bid. it should only take a week for to to realixe whether you want the dude or not

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question that would be asked though if we would move Mitch, would the starter be as good as Tanaka? I don't think Tanaka is an ace, but I do think he's a good #3 type of guy and those guys aren't that easy to find.

honestly i think samardzija is better than tanaka

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly i think samardzija is better than tanaka

I highly doubt Moreland could head the package to get him since the Cubs already have Rizzo, also I just don't want to trade for any Cubs pitchers. I'm still sad about losing C.J Edwards.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Moreland could head the package to get him since the Cubs already have Rizzo, also I just don't want to trade for any Cubs pitchers. I'm still sad about losing C.J Edwards.

Edwards will regress quickly as he ascends the systems.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, it takes a month to decide whether a team wants to bid 20 mil? My ass

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwards will regress quickly as he ascends the systems.

What makes you say that? His numbers have been video game like up to this point, the reports I've read about him say that really all he needs to do his develop his secondary pitches as his fastball is already good and his delivery makes it harder to pick up. He's a bit raw certainly, but I feel like he's got the ceiling of a #2 pitcher and probably ends up a mid rotation starter.

I just think that his addition to the trade for Garza made it a big overpay for a rental.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'd be affected too much honestly, I'm pretty sure he realizes that the different posting system is the reason that Tanaka will probably be making more money. If Darvish had been posted under these rules he'd probably get a lot more than Tanaka would since nearly everybody except that one scout agrees that Darvish is better than Tanaka.

Also it's not really in his best interests to sign an extension right now (he's got at least 3 years left on his current contract) unless he loves playing in Texas and wants to stay for a lot longer. He'll probably sign an extension with a year left on his contract or just become a free agent and watch everyone get into a massive bidding war over him.
Agree on both of your points. But think about this, Darvish is considered to be superior talent to Tanaka, finished second in this years Cy Young, is a proven MLB performer, and yet he will be paid only about half (or less!) than Tanaka. Yes, the new posting system benefits Tanaka, but human nature being what it is, he's got to be thinking about the wide disparity in compensation, and how he's paid a "penalty" for coming over under the prior posting system...

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, it takes a month to decide whether a team wants to bid 20 mil? My ass

I don't think it's just a month to decide if you want to bid for him, he has until January 24th to negotiate a deal with a team. After that the window closes and he goes back to Rakuten.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand why it takes a month for a team to place a bid. it should only take a week for to to realixe whether you want the dude or not
Kinda confusing, Terps. I think the actual posting and negotiating the contract ends on Jan. 24. poppa you beat me to it, James.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on both of your points. But think about this, Darvish is considered to be superior talent to Tanaka, finished second in this years Cy Young, is a proven MLB performer, and yet he will be paid only about half (or less!) than Tanaka. Yes, the new posting system benefits Tanaka, but human nature being what it is, he's got to be thinking about the wide disparity in compensation, and how he's paid a "penalty" for coming over under the prior posting system...

He might certainly think it's unfair but unless he's a big diva I don't think he's going to demand the Rangers to pay him more money since he knows they were working under the old system, like I said before I just think he'll try and do better to prove he's the better pitcher then get a massive pay day when he's a free agent.

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also Tanaka's price will be inflated since more teams will be able to negotiate with him, while Texas had exclusive negotiating rights with Darvish. So Darvish's choices were limited to coming to Texas or going back to the Ham Fighters.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you say that? His numbers have been video game like up to this point, the reports I've read about him say that really all he needs to do his develop his secondary pitches as his fastball is already good and his delivery makes it harder to pick up. He's a bit raw certainly, but I feel like he's got the ceiling of a #2 pitcher and probably ends up a mid rotation starter.

I just think that his addition to the trade for Garza made it a big overpay for a rental.

His fastball is flat and lacks movement. If he's not pinpoint with it, it will get crushed up here. Velocity is also good, but not great. Curveball is solid, bit only effective as long as his fastball is. His k% has dropped each time his ascended a level. Very Grimm like imo.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Tanaka's price will be inflated since more teams will be able to negotiate with him, while Texas had exclusive negotiating rights with Darvish. So Darvish's choices were limited to coming to Texas or going back to the Ham Fighters.

they were the fighters. Not the ham fighters.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think its silly that as of now Moreland would be our DH… I mean no offense to Prince, I am glad to have him but at this point e should be the DH… Moreland is better defensively. I get why thats the case, you want to keep a guy with that sort of investment behind him happy but seriously… our best defensive team would have Moreland out there no question.

its all about making Prince happy

This has been talked about ad nauseum

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

overpay, but not a big overpay

It was a fair trade to me actually, sucked to lose Edwards but that was a pretty fair price for a deadline starter

We lucked out on dumping Olt

Edwards' problem is he isn't really more than a 5 or 6 inning guy, he's not likely to be more than a 4 or 5 b/c of that, nasty stuff be damned, he throws too many pitches trying to rack up strikeouts as well

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you're overthinking things