• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor I heard is that he failed a physical and his deal with SF fell through.
Thanks for the explanation Rev. I was certain he had been picked up w/ sf.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that fence comfy you are riding? haha

haha, yeah… I guess I sort of am, but I still think I prefer a DH slightly more than a SP. I think we might need to add something there but I am not sure if a great deal of funds need to be put towards it. I mean right now we have:

1. Yu
2. Holland
3. Harry
4. Perez
5. Ogando
6. Lewis
7. Tepesch
8. Ross (possibly)
9. Blackely ( I think we still have him… could be wrong)
10. Feliz ( doubt he will start but I am sure they are still open to it)

And that not to mention a few guys that have been added to the roster recently that I don't expect to make the team but could be a surprise.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the explanation Rev. I was certain he had been picked up w/ sf.

I read it from another site and originally posted the info here, so I was just as surprised as you when I heard he was still available.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too would like to see a DH. Also would like to see a SP b/c until Harry is on the mound and being Harry I don't think we can rely on what we have at the moment. That being said Harry may be fine and certainly hope so but really don't care if we get Tanaka unless the price is reasonable. However, do want another SP.

Agreed, picking up or trading for a 4 or 5 guy is in order but I think if we are going to make a large financial commitment it should be a DH. I would really love if Colby could come back and fill that 4 or 5 spot this season but I don't expect it.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT

I just caught 3 TD passes from my Brother at the COWBOYS Stadium, 30 yard passes.
The last one was in the back corner of the end-zone, I kept my feet inbounds, let a little yell because I knew I was going down
and down I went.....TD!!!!!!! then a smattering of applause from the other visitors, and of course my family laughing hysterically.

Do real football players scream when they are going to bite it?
No?
I don't care, I caught the freaking ball

That Stadium is UNBELIEVABLE, we loved it. It sucked driving by the RBIA, I wanted to go in...but ya know, wrong season.

:D

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think its silly that as of now Moreland would be our DH… I mean no offense to Prince, I am glad to have him but at this point e should be the DH… Moreland is better defensively. I get why thats the case, you want to keep a guy with that sort of investment behind him happy but seriously… our best defensive team would have Moreland out there no question.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, picking up or trading for a 4 or 5 guy is in order but I think if we are going to make a large financial commitment it should be a DH. I would really love if Colby could come back and fill that 4 or 5 spot this season but I don't expect it.
Dude I'm too conservative but Harry, Colby are questionable. Ogando I don't see starting. Tepesch may surprise us but I hardly see how we can gamble on these guys now.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my ideal rotation for the 2014 season assuming (HUGE ASSUMPTION) that Cobra and Harrison come back strong:

1. Yu (R)
2. Harrison (L)
3. Holland (L)
4. Lewis (R)
5. Perez (L)

Realistically though, right now we are at:

1. Yu (R)
2. Holland (L)
3. Perez (L)
4. Ogando (R)
5. Harrison (L) - I think for now you have to assume easing him back in.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude I'm too conservative but Harry, Colby are questionable. Ogando I don't see starting. Tepesch may surprise us but I hardly see how we can gamble on these guys now.

Yeah, I agree they definitely are and there are a few question marks. I am just not sure if we are going to be willing pay what the Yanks will Tanaka. Other than him there are only a few interesting options at SP.

I really don't like Garza too much. I am not big on his attitude and I am not sure I want some of our younger players being influenced by it. I also was not really all that impressed buy him on the field either. Santanna has great stuff but is about as inconstant as it gets, so he is out for me too. Burnet could be interesting though but playing for larger market teams might be too much pressure for him. I really don't like Jimenez too much either.

So, I really just feel like they either would have to do something by trade or just take a risk on a middle of the road type SP if they add anything there which I still feel they will do something at some point. That being said, if I am wrong… it would't be the first time.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking we are looking at a rotation of

1. Yu (R)
2. Holland (L)
3. Harry (L)
4. Cobra or Tepesch (R)
5. Perez (L)

I only moved Cobra and Tepesch to 4 to break up the lefties. I truly feel that we need Ogando in the pen and the team knows that now. he can be our 7th/8th guy along with Soria, Scheppers, and Neffie...which ever one doesn't get the closing job between the 3.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree they definitely are and there are a few question marks. I am just not sure if we are going to be willing pay what the Yanks will Tanaka. Other than him there are only a few interesting options at SP.

I really don't like Garza too much. I am not big on his attitude and I am not sure I want some of our younger players being influenced by it. I also was not really all that impressed buy him on the field either. Santanna has great stuff but is about as inconstant as it gets, so he is out for me too. Burnet could be interesting though but playing for larger market teams might be too much pressure for him. I really don't like Jimenez too much either.

So, I really just feel like they either would have to do something by trade or just take a risk on a middle of the road type SP if they add anything there which I still feel they will do something at some point. That being said, if I am wrong… it would't be the first time.
Nobody's wrong till they are. haha

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Yu (R)
2. Holland (L)
3. Harry (L)
4. Cobra or Tepesch (R)
5. Perez (L)

I only moved Cobra and Tepesch to 4 to break up the lefties. I truly feel that we need Ogando in the pen and the team knows that now. he can be our 7th/8th guy along with Soria, Scheppers, and Neffie...which ever one doesn't get the closing job between the 3.

Yeah, this is more along the lines of what I prefer too but Cobra is a pretty big question mark and I think Ogando might have the edge on a SP job over Tepesch. I sort of agree with you though that we need him in the pen more or the way I would put it, is he needs to be in the pen more. He hasn't made it though a full season as a SP yet, so I am not sure if he even can. He just might not have the conditioning to make it a full MLB season as a starter.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Yu (R)
2. Holland (L)
3. Harry (L)
4. Cobra or Tepesch (R)
5. Perez (L)

just can't get excited about Lewis or Tepesch in the rotation. and hopefully Ogando doesn't get moved from the bullpen

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a whole season. and i don't think any of those 3 can give that to us

Texas only had two starters last season with over 124 IP and both of those guys had over 200 IP.

So realistically how many innings do expect out of a back end of the rotation starter?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas only had two starters last season with over 124 IP and both of those guys had over 200 IP.

So realistically how many innings do expect out of a back end of the rotation starter?

i give up. we have 4 starters in Darvish, Holland, Perez and Harrison that i think give us 29-32 starts and at least 175+ innings. why can't i expect our 5th starter to give us 25 games & 125 innings?

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas to all of you, I've been away for awhile but checking in periodically when able to read your posts.

Adding Tanaka would be exciting...but I really don't think we will be able to out bid the Yanks and Dodgers for him ( but we can have a good time driving up his price!!). But one of my biggest concerns is what will this mean for Darvish's mental frame of mind (no matter who signs him) seeing his "workout partner" getting such a comparable huge contract with Darvish sitting on a 5 year $56 million deal....Rangers may be forced into an extension that gets him equal money??? And what if by some miracle we do get Tanaka to sign with us?? A reworking of Darvish's contract maybe in order....honestly, may not be a bad idea anyway to try and lock him up as a Ranger for many more years...

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure I would want us to sign Tanaka. Taking on another 6-7 year contract right now isn't a good idea IMO. Especially with the unknown factor. The much safer play is to add Cruz or Morales. Then we could move Mitch for a young starter under club control that won't cost us 16-20 per year.

Last edited by a moderator: