• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas Rangers faithful, hope everyone has a great holiday!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas to all! Just leaving a poker tournament. Long drive home :(

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Joel Sherman's source is correct, that is pretty cool that Texas was Choo's first choice... that means he really thinks he can win here and that's great because confidence like that can be contagious.

That and his patience and ability to work a count might rub off on some guys like Martin & Profar... maybe even Andrus a little bit

With Fielder and Beltre hitting behind him hopefully Andrus won't be asked to bunt as much as in years past, that whole nickel and dime approach kills the shot at a big inning

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That and his patience and ability to work a count might rub off on some guys like Martin & Profar... maybe even Andrus a little bit

With Fielder and Beltre hitting behind him hopefully Andrus won't be asked to bunt as much as in years past, that whole nickel and dime approach kills the shot at a big inning

Your first point is why I was so in favor of signing this guy even if we had to over pay and for more years. The money nor the 7 years bothered me in the slightest.

He filled our LO spot, he is our everyday LF, he is a leader in the clubhouse and approaches every AB like it's his last. So I too can't help but think he's going to provide guidance and influence throughout the lineup.

Have a save day fellow fans.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last off season's steal getting Lancie "The Iron Man" Berkman under contract I'm thinking JD and gang are going to shift their target back to improving system pitching and let the DH solve itself by filling the spot in the batting order with guys who don't go lame (or to the DL) walking from the dugout to the plate 4 times a game.

Guys like Jeff Baker (RH) and Mitch Moreland (LH) might be those kinda guys.

i was ready to agree until you add Mitch

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents like having TEX at the table ... makes them look good to their clients. But knowing JD is down the hall in the TEX suite scares the crap out of other GMs.

Get the feeling they spend more time wondering what TEX is doing or not doing. Past history is that TEX remains in the game down the the final hand so they know how their opposition values a potential acquisition or if considering a trade how they value what they have in their hands.

As for Tanaka ... may turn out to be higher cost than TEX may want to spend ... but you can bet that if TEX is in the game the only one who is going to know when TEX walks is JD.

one reporter list 7 teams as in on Tanaka: NYY, LAD, Arizona, Cubs, Rangers, Balt, Toronto & Seattle. he says the Yankees are Even mpney, LAD is at 3-1, Ari at 7-1, Cubs at 10-1 and the Rangers at 15-1

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not care for a lot of what Evan Grant had to say about a way to acquire Tanaka but one thing that I did not think of that I did find interesting is that the naming rights to the Ballpark have never been sold to a corporate sponsor. There is a lot of money to be gained on a deal like that and I really do not care what the name of the stadium is as long as the Rangers can win a World Series. It could even be Sriracha Stadium for all I care. It is not like we have a nostalgia thing going on like Fenway Park.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas! Ho! Ho! Ho!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not care for a lot of what Evan Grant had to say about a way to acquire Tanaka but one thing that I did not think of that I did find interesting is that the naming rights to the Ballpark have never been sold to a corporate sponsor. There is a lot of money to be gained on a deal like that and I really do not care what the name of the stadium is as long as the Rangers can win a World Series. It could even be Sriracha Stadium for all I care. It is not like we have a nostalgia thing going on like Fenway Park.

:agree:......But honestly, I'm not as high as some on getting this guy to begin with.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't it called Ameriquest Field in Arlington for a couple years? Mid 2000's I believe, is Ameriquest not a corporate sponsor?

Personally I'm not a fan of renaming the stadium, money or not, I do have a sort personal nostalgia about RBIA, I remember not liking the name Ameriquest Field at all

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas all..... Hope we start hearing rumblings about a DH after tomorrow!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Baker (if he comes back) and he rebounds against RHPs, (He actually hit better vs LHPs last year, but with less power), then you have a pretty solid platoon at DH, it allows you to have backups at every IF position, minus SS and Profar can slide over for that, not to mention you still have Adam Rosales if needed, and both guys have some experience in the OF if needed in a pinch (neither are long term solutions out there)

I'm totally in favor of this IF Morales or Cruz don't come back, I do think Moreland has a bounceback season in him

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 11.29.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 11.29.13 AM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 11.30.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 11.30.01 AM.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it called Ameriquest Field in Arlington for a couple years? Mid 2000's I believe, is Ameriquest not a corporate sponsor?

Personally I'm not a fan of renaming the stadium, money or not, I do have a sort personal nostalgia about RBIA, I remember not liking the name Ameriquest Field at all

Yep it was called Ameriquest Field for 2 or 3 seasons before it went in a bad way and belly'd up. They're not a sponsor anymore and I don't remember if another bank gobbled them up bankruptcy or not. I like RBIA but also know corporate sponsorship can give a lot of extra money. They could still keep RBIA but insert company name before RBIA and I think it'd work out fine.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone has a great day.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it was called Ameriquest Field for 2 or 3 seasons before it went in a bad way and belly'd up. They're not a sponsor anymore and I don't remember if another bank gobbled them up bankruptcy or not. I like RBIA but also know corporate sponsorship can give a lot of extra money. They could still keep RBIA but insert company name before RBIA and I think it'd work out fine.

I hate corporate sponsor names, especially after you've become accustomed to something else

I'd just assume pass, we don't need it