• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll do our due diligence and check on the price but I have a feeling its going to be more expensive than we want and we'll bow out quick

probably right but it cost nothing to bid as only the team that signs him has to pay the 20M and he could chose to sign with a team even if they aren't the highest offer

Last edited by a moderator:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably right but it cost nothing to bid as only the team that signs him has to pay the 20M and he could chose to sign with a team even if they aren't the highest offer
As for me. lets get our bats in-house and then go from there. I really like our rotation minus a #5.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And thats why they at least put out some feelers and make an offer they deem fair, he likes it, go for it, he doesn't he moves on

I trust JD to put in a solid offer but not over the top

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thats why they at least put out some feelers and make an offer they deem fair, he likes it, go for it, he doesn't he moves on

I trust JD to put in a solid offer but not over the top

totally agree

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we'll do our due diligence and check on the price but I have a feeling its going to be more expensive than we want and we'll bow out quick

Agents like having TEX at the table ... makes them look good to their clients. But knowing JD is down the hall in the TEX suite scares the crap out of other GMs.

Get the feeling they spend more time wondering what TEX is doing or not doing. Past history is that TEX remains in the game down the the final hand so they know how their opposition values a potential acquisition or if considering a trade how they value what they have in their hands.

As for Tanaka ... may turn out to be higher cost than TEX may want to spend ... but you can bet that if TEX is in the game the only one who is going to know when TEX walks is JD.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
need a DH.

After last off season's steal getting Lancie "The Iron Man" Berkman under contract I'm thinking JD and gang are going to shift their target back to improving system pitching and let the DH solve itself by filling the spot in the batting order with guys who don't go lame (or to the DL) walking from the dugout to the plate 4 times a game.

Guys like Jeff Baker (RH) and Mitch Moreland (LH) might be those kinda guys.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents like having TEX at the table ... makes them look good to their clients. But knowing JD is down the hall in the TEX suite scares the crap out of other GMs.

Get the feeling they spend more time wondering what TEX is doing or not doing. Past history is that TEX remains in the game down the the final hand so they know how their opposition values a potential acquisition or if considering a trade how they value what they have in their hands.

As for Tanaka ... may turn out to be higher cost than TEX may want to spend ... but you can bet that if TEX is in the game the only one who is going to know when TEX walks is JD.

Agreed, be in on all negotiations that make sense just to help determine cost in the future, move made or not

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just read Jamey Newberg's email today on the Choo deal ... long ... but it is a classic!

Too many great facts to post here ... but it's worth the read.

Attachments

• 12-24 Newberg Report Shin-Soo Choo and the seven-year itch..pdf
    467.3 KB · Views: 19

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Beltre has basically locked in 78.7 million worth of value in 3 years of a 6 year 96 million dollar contract (if he hits his vesting option)

OR, he has locked in 78.7 million worth of value on a 5 year 80 million dollar contract, which mean Beltre could sit almost all of the next 2 seasons and it would've been worth it from a value standpoint

Craziness, and to think people were questioning this signing... because we already had Young at 3B and Beltre was a solid player but not worth that contract

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Armed with tremendous depth in minor league talent assets, this winter Texas has acquired Fielder and Choo and J.P. Arencibia and Michael Choice, <Chris Bostick,> and retained Geovany Soto, Jason Frasor, and Colby Lewis..."

Who have they given up? Kinsler, Gentry (still sad), & Lindblom

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read Jamey Newberg's email today on the Choo deal ... long ... but it is a classic!

Too many great facts to post here ... but it's worth the read.

Thanks and a lot a facts is an understatement. Good info though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas to Ranger fans everywhere! I hope you all have a great one!

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Joel Sherman's source is correct, that is pretty cool that Texas was Choo's first choice... that means he really thinks he can win here and that's great because confidence like that can be contagious.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another crazy thing I didn't realize, our 1-4 hitters are all Boras clients

Didn't narrow it down to 1-4 but knew JD had negotiated multiple deals with Boras clients such as Choo and Andrus even when folks said Boras wouldn't let his clients sign extensions like Andrus ultimately did. Seems like JD and Boras work fairly well together