• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its overrated in the sense that its no more important than the guy who pitches the 7th or 8th inning in relief,

Also if someone came in the 8th inning and struck out the side in order, why the hell would you take them out for the 9th, just because it was the "closer's" inning, that's asinine to me

Or the 7th inning guy that comes in with 2 outs and 2 men on after the starter got in trouble? how is his job any less difficult?

THAT'S how the closer position is overrated, he comes on in a none on and nobody out situation and he's hailed for it because he got the almighty "save" if he fails its his OWN doing

the 7th inning and 8th inning guy often have to clean up somebody else's mess and are demonized like a closer if they fail... 2 men & 2 on, and he gives up a single and gives up the tying score, who didn't do their job? the reliever, not the starter who created the mess

I'm not saying thats the way people HERE perceive it but that is the general trend among the ignorant passing fan and even the media

How come the Rolaids relief man award never goes to a truly dominant middle reliever? they exist, ones that are far better than other closers and often times better than their own closer (Kenley Jensen comes to mind)

I could not agree with you more about a guy coming in the 8th and just dominates and you take him out to put in a closer. It also irritates me if the closer is just stinking it up and you leave him in there until you end up losing. The robotic approach to managing nowadays drives me crazy.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree that some closers should have the opportunity to go more than one inning. There were times last year where scheppers looked so dominant that I questioned why we would take him out. But I think that when you have a closer you need to have just as much confidence in him as well, and he would probably be pissed if you gave that inning to someone else

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also agree that some closers should have the opportunity to go more than one inning. There were times last year where scheppers looked so dominant that I questioned why we would take him out. But I think that when you have a closer you need to have just as much confidence in him as well, and he would probably be pissed if you gave that inning to someone else

You missed the point on this, if Soria was the closer, and Scheppers came in and struck out the side in the 8th inning on a minimal number of pitches (lets say 12), there's no reason I bring in Soria in the 9th b/c he's the "closer," I keep rolling with Scheppers in that scenario

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They probably would be ticked off but it is about team and not individual stats. Or at least it should be. I understand what you are saying but when that all started to change to how things are done now it really took managing a game out of the equation.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the point on this, if Soria was the closer, and Scheppers came in and struck out the side in the 8th inning on a minimal number of pitches (lets say 12), there's no reason I bring in Soria in the 9th b/c he's the "closer," I keep rolling with Scheppers in that scenario

On top of that you saved a pitcher for another day otherwise you use up two pitchers and in time you are hoping a starter can go 7-8 innings because your bullpen is being used too much.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On top of that you saved a pitcher for another day otherwise you use up two pitchers and in time you are hoping a starter can go 7-8 innings because your bullpen is being used too much.

Especially since Scheppers, Feliz and Ogando have started in the recent past, they can handle multiple innings in those scenarios, Soria I'm not sure about

The whole one inning at a time approach drives me crazy

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have wondered that many times. If it ain't broke don't fix it just for the sake of piling on innings that may be important the next game when things aren't going as well unless they need work. True the Yanks got by like that but not many teams have their exception to the rule.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... Now, the awards thing may be overrated, ... Maybe thats why they get the awards. I think any awards in baseball besides the ring and the triple crown are overrated, but thats me

Only thing important is the ring. Individual awards in team sports awarded based on stats or the votes of fat guys like EG are totally meaningless. The ring is the only thing that matters.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could not agree with you more about a guy coming in the 8th and just dominates and you take him out to put in a closer. It also irritates me if the closer is just stinking it up and you leave him in there until you end up losing. The robotic approach to managing nowadays drives me crazy.

Romeo often speaks fondly of the robotic approach

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect it's not just innings, roles or even who has the hot hand.

My thinking is it's somewhat akin to hitters wanting to always hit in the same position. In fact, some just hate being moved around, ie EA.

I don't know for a fact this is true, just a suspicion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz is 25 now.

And I hope my previous post made some sense. I've just reread it and it seems vague somewhat.

Oh well.....

Be safe guys.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tanner is a year older than Feliz already. So Feliz was like 21-22 in 2010.

That was my point ... Feliz was 22 in 2010 when he had 59 saves and was AL ROY. Scheppers will be 27 next month and so will be 5 years older than Feliz was back in 2010.

We know what we get with Feliz on the mound as a closer... and know what Soria used to have and may have again ... question mark is Scheppers ... so TEX ought to invest a whole lot of time in finding out what he's got.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just looking at the TEX 40-man and Choo isn't on there yet. Is TEX waiting on his physical?

With the addition of Alex Castellanos yesterday the roster is full. Who gets the axe when Choo is added?

40-Man Roster | texasrangers.com: Team

Yes the official deal is pending a physical

There are plenty of candidates to get the ax when Choo is added, tough to say which one it will be

Rafael Ortega, thats my guess, don't ask why, just seems like a good guess, maybe b/c I've never heard of him before

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people with family tonight and tomorrow. So travel and stay safe. I'll be checking in along to see if anyone is here.