• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck. Sign tanaka now! Throw the fortune at him. I hate how fucking unlucky Texas has been with fluke bullshit.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or trade for price...

Friedman would make it hurt so bad. Rather try to deal with Amaro for Cliff than let TB clean out the farm. And I was the biggest proponent of trading for price, but that was before losing any/all leverage

I'm guessing Rangers take fliers on guys like Lannan, Johan, McDonald...something like that. Or just see what chi chi or a youngster in house has.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like JD can forget about enjoying his January

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope JD does something because I'm nervous what would happen if someone else gets hurt. Then we'd be in a world of shit.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope JD does something because I'm nervous someone else gets hurt. Then we'd be in a world of shit.

Lot riding on Harrison's back.

Hopefully Perez turns into Johan 2.0 and all will be well.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot riding on Harrison's back.

Hopefully Perez turns into Johan 2.0 and all will be well.

I don't have any reason not to believe the organization about Harry. Perez is the least of my worries. That kid is going to be really good. That change-up is filthy.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think robbie ross can start

Yes, he was one of the finalists last year and lost out to Tepesch b/c they thought they were better off with Ross in the BP, he's going to be in the running that's for sure

He's got just as much stamina as Ogando, b/c he actually came up and spent his whole career up til now as a starter, while Ogando was never really a starter and spent a lot of timein the pen

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is in a win now mode, so I'd prefer they go out and get someone. Not Tanaka though

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I expect we will add some starting pitching, but I expect it will be more in the depth category than really replacing somebody at the front end of the rotation,” Daniels said Friday afternoon.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is in a win now mode, so I'd prefer they go out and get someone. Not Tanaka though

This team is NOT i win now mode, its in win over the next 3-5 years mode, and JD knows that luckily, he's not going to mortgage the future in order to force an imperfect piece in there

I think he'll put out a couple more feelers and end up deciding what options would be the best going forward, external trade and FA targets (Price, Arroyo, Tanaka, Garza, etc...) or internal options (Ross, Ogando, Tepesch, Lewis, Jackson, etc...)

A lot of your trade targets and FA targets will end up being cost prohibitive due to cost in prospects, dollars and draft pick compensation

Arroyo, Garza, Gallardo end up being your most likely targets externally due to cost/benefit long term as well as the short term (along with all the internal options)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's a lot to ask, unless you consider the Ross Wolfs of the world ML ready.

Seems like Wolf was ... although probably wasn't thought to be one of the ten at the beginning of ST.

TEX SPs used ...
2010 10
2011 7
2012 11
2013 11

This is the basis of my opinion a team needs a minimum of 10 ML-ready SPs to complete the season. (I said to begin the season before and I think 'complete the season' is more reasonable now).

So while until today the focus was on who the #5 in the batting order ought to be ... and before that discussion as to who the #5 SP ought to be ... our focus might ought to be as junior GMs who the 10SPs are that our team is going to need for the season. For 2014 even before Holland went down ... emerging talent needs to be mixed with veterans need to be taking regular productive starts at AAA ready to step on any given time because they will be needed.

Holland led TEX with 33GS in 2013 ... so already TEX needs to find 17 starts to replace him. If Tepesch was penciled in as #5 the most logical immediate inning source is Ogando who had 18 starts in 2013 pitching for Colby Lewis (btw Colby only had 16 starts in 2012).

As I posted above TEX used 11 SPs in 2013 ... of those the only ones we would have considered to be first team ML-ready are the five bolded (including Garza).

-Holland 33
-Darvish 32
-Perez 20
-Ogando 18
-Grimm 17
-Tepesch 17
-Garza 13
-Lindblom 5
-Blackley 3
-Wolf 3
-Harrison 2

Maybe Harrison comes back and starts 33 like he did in 2012 ... but scanning this TEX needs to find capacity to pick up 41 starts for the guys who are no longer around (Grimm, Garza, Lindblom, Blackley, Wolf). What about Wilmer Font? Michael Kirkman? Those are the only two names on the 40-man I could ID as potential candidates to make starts so clearly TEX is going to be looking at its AA talent along with veterans to fill the missing innings which with Holland going down exceeds 70 games ... and that was with Ogando and Tepesch starting 35 games between them in 2013.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God. We used 12 different starters last year.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haven't read exactly what injury he has but it sounds like a torn meniscus.
If it was mild and in an area with good blood supply
sometimes surgery is not required. This sounds like a more
serious injury especially with a recovery time until mid-season in
which the first press release is usually the most optimistic
as to not effect ticket sales.

The good news is that full recovery
is common place with this type of injury.

Depending on who eventually fills the void will probably be
the yardstick that determines how serious the injury
really is believed to be.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read exactly what injury he has but it sounds like a torn meniscus.
If it was mild and in an area with good blood supply
sometimes surgery is not required. This sounds like a more
serious injury especially with a recovery time until mid-season in
which the first press release is usually the most optimistic
as to not effect ticket sales.

The good news is that full recovery
is common place with this type of injury.

Depending on who eventually fills the void will probably be
the yardstick that determines how serious the injury
really is believed to be.

He already had surgery.