• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now ... focus needs to be a better option batting behind Beltre. In fact the right everyday DH ought to be capable of batting cleanup in the future to take some of the load off Beltre.

Would love to see TEX acquire EE batting 3rd with Prince and Beltre behind him. That lineup would allow TEX to use EE at 1b 1/3 of the time with Prince the balance without adjusting the batting order. Might also want to get EE some time in RF in order to keep him in lineups in NL parks.

I realize I just did the thing some others of us do. We start with one idea and morph to another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now ... focus needs to be a better option batting behind Beltre. In fact the right everyday DH ought to be capable of batting cleanup in the future to take some of the load off Beltre.

Would love to see TEX acquire EE batting 3rd with Prince and Beltre behind him. That lineup would allow TEX to use EE at 1b 1/3 of the time with Prince the balance without adjusting the batting order. Might also want to get EE some time in RF in order to keep him in lineups in NL parks.

I realize I just did the thing some others of us do. We start with one idea and morph to another.

I would bat EE 5th. I think 1-4 is set and I like it LRLR.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on how much you'd be willing to give up for him. I'd think if ownership were willing to eat his entire salary, it would seriously reduce the number and quality of prospects we had to give up

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how much you'd be willing to give up for him. I'd think if ownership were willing to eat his entire salary, it would seriously reduce the number and quality of prospects we had to give up

If I remember correctly his contract is team friendly. Which is why I doubt they would move him before the season starts, or at all. Even though I'd live to have him. If they did, he would cost a lot of prospects. Probably too much.

Rev and I have had this discussion.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ended the year at High A Myrtle Beach, this is a big year development wise, b/c this is usually the point at which players start proving capable of jumping levels

Defensively is the main area he needs to improve, offensively his main area of improvement needed is plate discipline/patience/pitch recognition

Right, it was just 3 games. I am guessing that is where he will start. That place does seem to be a difficult place to hit HRs but Odor showed us something while there with 33 doubles in 377 ABs. So will be interesting to see how Alfaro does. He has some speed as he had 16 SBs last year.

You are right on plate discipline as he joined in with many others at Hickory in the K brigade. 111 Ks in 372 ABs.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly his contract is team friendly. Which is why I doubt they would move him before the season starts, or at all. Even though I'd live to have him. If they did, he would cost a lot of prospects. Probably too much.

Rev and I have had this discussion.

Yeah, it is 9 mill this year and 10 next with a 10 mill option for 2016. Not bad in today's market.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it is 9 mill this year and 10 next with a 10 mill option for 2016. Not bad in today's market.

For those 3 years on the open market he would probably get between 45-54. I don't think they have a chance at winning that division next year, but if they moved him before the year started they're basically telling their fans we're rebuilding. I wish they would move him because that's cheaper than Nelly would be, and EE is a much better hitter.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those 3 years on the open market he would probably get between 45-54. I don't think they have a chance at winning that division next year, but if they moved him before the year started they're basically telling their fans we're rebuilding. I wish they would move him because that's cheaper than Nelly would be, and EE is a much better hitter.

Still doubt they sell him off now, he might be a trade deadline target as by then Toronto has a better idea of who they are

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doubt they sell him off now, he might be a trade deadline target as by then Toronto has a better idea of who they are

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Plus, we will know if we even need him by then. If I had to guess, Toronto will be in last place at the deadline and over 10 games back.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Plus, we will know if we even need him by then. If I had to guess, Toronto will be in last place at the deadline and over 10 games back.

I don't think they'll be bad, being healthy will go a long way towards their ability to improve, along with some bounce back years

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'll be bad, being healthy will go a long way towards their ability to improve, along with some bounce back years

TB is always good, and especially if they hold onto Price.
NYY improved
Boston will still be good
IMO the O's and the Jays will be fighting for 4th, and won't be that close to 3rd. I don't think they'll be bad, that division will be tough though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB is always good, and especially if they hold onto Price.
NYY improved
Boston will still be good
IMO the O's and the Jays will be fighting for 4th, and won't be that close to 3rd. I don't think they'll be bad, that division will be tough though.

That's the thing with Toronto though, you don't really know what some of these guys will give you,

Do I think they will be way behind Boston? yes,

but the Yanks are still old and have lousy pitching, Ellsbury is oft-injured, Beltran is OLD, McCann is a catcher just a season removed from shoulder surgery AND they lost Cano, so to say they improved is a bit premature

and TB is always overachieving, all it takes is down years by a couple guys to torpedo their season

Baltimore is essentially TB without all the pitching and who knows what Machado gives them this year

Point is, Toronto will potentially be battling for a WC spot if they have some things go their way this year

Stranger things have happened

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. If he were in his last year of his contract then they would get more by moving him now but they gain nothing right now.

Well, nothing unless someone will overpay and none of us want that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ended the year at High A Myrtle Beach, this is a big year development wise, b/c this is usually the point at which players start proving capable of jumping levels

Defensively is the main area he needs to improve, offensively his main area of improvement needed is plate discipline/patience/pitch recognition

... as do about 10 of 12 position players from that roster. Alfaro was not the worst by a long shot.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

"... we will know if we even need him by then."

We all know TEX needs to upgrade #5 (i.e. the DH) spot ... NOW (not then). We've known TEX has had this hole since Cruz went on vacation last August. Why would TEX wait a whole year to fill that vacancy? With that money spent already upgrading the offense ... need to fill the final hole.

When we know we have this vacancy ... it is far more preferable in my opinion to proactively go after the guy you want to fill that spot NOW... rather than hope ... (which is a 4 letter word to me) ... hope that you can make a deal at he deadline for whoever is available.

Alex Rios was an emergency acquisition to take Cruz' roster and position TEX was able to deal on because he was available. He wasn't the best RFer out there. You weren't going to start your roster out with him if you had a choice.

If you wait until the deadline ... you only get to buy what is "on the shelf at Walmart on a Monday" ... which may not be any better than what you have ... which you have already decided going into the season that you want to upgrade.

TEX went out and got Prince Fielder and Shin-Soo Choo ... prime acquisitions. You don't spend that kind of money to then all of a sudden go cheap and conservative on your #5.

If you are prepared to start the season with Mitch Moreland and a TBD RH hitter as a platoon DH (I have ever mentioned how never in my opinion has a platoon worked) ... then you need to be confident that they can perform in the #5 spot behind Beltre.

If you aren't confident in Mitch and his partner ... then you need to go get the right guy to bat behind Beltre now ... because sure as heck that guy isn't Alex Rios.

In my opinion you only deal at the deadline to take advantage of the market to upgrade your post season opportunity ... you don't use the deadline to fill a vacancy you have had since August 5, 2013.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"... we will know if we even need him by then."

We all know TEX needs to upgrade #5 (i.e. the DH) spot ... NOW (not then). We've known TEX has had this hole since Cruz went on vacation last August. Why would TEX wait a whole year to fill that vacancy? With that money spent already upgrading the offense ... need to fill the final hole.

When we know we have this vacancy ... it is far more preferable in my opinion to proactively go after the guy you want to fill that spot NOW... rather than hope ... (which is a 4 letter word to me) ... hope that you can make a deal at he deadline for whoever is available.

Alex Rios was an emergency acquisition to take Cruz' roster and position TEX was able to deal on because he was available. He wasn't the best RFer out there. You weren't going to start your roster out with him if you had a choice.

If you wait until the deadline ... you only get to buy what is "on the shelf at Walmart on a Monday" ... which may not be any better than what you have ... which you have already decided going into the season that you want to upgrade.

TEX went out and got Prince Fielder and Shin-Soo Choo ... prime acquisitions. You don't spend that kind of money to then all of a sudden go cheap and conservative on your #5.

If you are prepared to start the season with Mitch Moreland and a TBD RH hitter as a platoon DH (I have ever mentioned how never in my opinion has a platoon worked) ... then you need to be confident that they can perform in the #5 spot behind Beltre.

If you aren't confident in Mitch and his partner ... then you need to go get the right guy to bat behind Beltre now ... because sure as heck that guy isn't Alex Rios.

In my opinion you only deal at the deadline to take advantage of the market to upgrade your post season opportunity ... you don't use the deadline to fill a vacancy you have had since August 5, 2013.

I just said that in relation to EE because I don't think they would move him before the year starts. I have been one of the guys on here hoping to add a #5. There are some that think we don't. I said before we signed Choo that he wouldn't be enough. So you don't have persuade me. We're on the same page. I just think you mis-understood what I meant.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just said that in relation to EE because I don't think they would move him before the year starts. I have been one of the guys on here hoping to add a #5. There are some that think we don't. I said before we signed Choo that he wouldn't be enough. So you don't have persuade me. We're on the same page. I just think you mis-understood what I meant.

Okay ... I just don't think TEX should wait until the deadline and hope the piece they need is there ... when they know they have a need right now.

I don't think paying through the nose with future treasure is worth hiring some guy off some losing team's roster when that guy is 1/25 of the reason they were losers.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay ... I just don't think TEX should wait until the deadline and hope the piece they need is there ... when they know they have a need right now.

I don't think paying through the nose with future treasure is worth hiring some guy off some losing team's roster when that guy is 1/25 of the reason they were losers.

Its also not worth overpaying to pry them off of their roster now before they're ready to concede defeat

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its also not worth overpaying to pry them off of their roster now before they're ready to concede defeat

There is no time when you should overpay ... but the risk of overpaying is much higher at the deadline ... which is made worse by the fact that the guys available are coming from a losing team. If this guy is the right guy key to winning it all ... then how come he didn't do that for the team he's currently on?

#5 bat is too important to wait until you are down the road a piece. Teams that acquire a Fielder and Choo ... do not leave this gaping hole smack dab in the middle of their everyday batting order.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no time when you should overpay ... but the risk of overpaying is much higher at the deadline ... which is made worse by the fact that the guys available are coming from a losing team. If this guy is the right guy key to winning it all ... then how come he didn't do that for the team he's currently on?

#5 bat is too important to wait until you are down the road a piece. Teams that acquire a Fielder and Choo ... do not leave this gaping hole smack dab in the middle of their everyday batting order.

I don't see Rios as the "hole" you see him as, I'll leave it at that, Moreland & Rios in the 5/6 spots isn't nearly as big a problem as people are making it out to be

But that's JMO