• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine if he hits .250 with his usual power. I do worry he will go through multiple extended slumps. He hasn't played a full season since 2008, and the heat here could be a problem. Who knows, with more AB's he might put up a better AVG. Time will tell. I hope he does so he will have some value in a few years, if we decide to move him to bring up Alfaro.

he's only signed for 2014

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Soto puts up the same type of numbers he has since he's been here in Texas and play the same level defense, then the catcher position will be just fine and probably a plus
Agree JT and I'm looking forward to watching him have a good season. My only concern is the Texas heat and his weight but no use borrowing trouble.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's only signed for 2014

I think he's implying a short term contract to be the starter/mentor/backup to Alfaro in the next couple seasons, as Soto might look to move on from the 1 year deal game and look for a little more guaranteed money going into his twilight years, which might be the best thing for both parties

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:....His catching should save 10 runs easy over AJs debauchery/throwing, so I look at this as a "reverse" RBIs. Frankly, if everyone else does their job, he should not be in a huge position to drive in runs; fewer base runners available to him.
Seems like more guys are feeling better about him. If the Rangers have a problem it won't be at catcher if Soto stays healthy.:nod:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like more guys are feeling better about him. If the Rangers have a problem it won't be at catcher if Soto stays healthy.:nod:

I'm feeling pretty good about our lineup. Of course it can get better, and perhaps will. But I'm quite pleased with what JD & Co have accomplished.

You feeling a "little better" about your Bears? Briles is staying put, and frankly, I'm surprised the Texas blue bloods didn't recognize the diamond they had available. Egos are what they are I guess. But good for you and the future of Beardom.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also posted this in the Profar thread, but thought this was pretty interesting

In his career, and up until last year, Profar has hit better against LHPs, not only that, even with his struggles his line drive % has actually been better at the ML level than the minors, which bodes well for him going forward

Jurickson Profar at Minor League Central

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling pretty good about our lineup. Of course it can get better, and perhaps will. But I'm quite pleased with what JD & Co have accomplished.

You feeling a "little better" about your Bears? Briles is staying put, and frankly, I'm surprised the Texas blue bloods didn't recognize the diamond they had available. Egos are what they are I guess. But good for you and the future of Beardom.
Really have a good feeling about our line up. OF looks good and the IF speaks for itself. Rotation and pen should be a plus. More good coming I believe.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really have a good feeling about our line up. OF looks good and the IF speaks for itself. Rotation and pen should be a plus. More good coming I believe.

I agree DT. jD has done a great job. I'm ilooking forward to see Harrison pitch again.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is that Briles wanted to goto Texas, but wanted Texas to offer the job without going through the interview process. He wanted this because his Baylor contract has a clause that he could lose the last couple guaranteed years and millions of dollars if he was to simply interview for another job. Rumor is that if Texas had simply offered the job that Briles would have taken it and still held onto the remainder of his guaranteed money from the Baylor contract. He simply didnt want to risk those millions of dollars in case he didnt get the job.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that Briles wanted to goto Texas, but wanted Texas to offer the job without going through the interview process. He wanted this because his Baylor contract has a clause that he could lose the last couple guaranteed years and millions of dollars if he was to simply interview for another job. Rumor is that if Texas had simply offered the job that Briles would have taken it and still held onto the remainder of his guaranteed money from the Baylor contract. He simply didnt want to risk those millions of dollars in case he didnt get the job.

Very interesting.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles definitely wanted to go to Texas. And why not...he'd get more money, be a part of a prestigious program and wouldn't have to be in Waco. No offense to Waco people. I do think Briles will end up elsewhere at some point IMO.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Soto, but I'm not expecting much offensively from the catcher position, which is ok if everyone else does their job.

Agree 1000%. All any good team should count on from the catcher spot is 1) game and pitcher management 2) defense .... and 10) offense.

The BA of the top 5 AL catchers in 2013 batted for a combined .263BA. Salvatore Perez (.292) was #1 ... and Matt Wieters was #5 (.235). With the DH in the AL we can afford to invest more in game management and defense than the NL can afford to do and should take advantage of that.

I am perfectly happy with Geovany Soto and J.P. Arencibia holding down the fort until the right future catcher arrives. That may be Alfaro ... but having lived through the Teagarden hype ... think we ought to just let C issues rest and not put unfair expectations on our current duo or Alfaro.

Everyone else needs to do the offensive job. That's not what good catchers are paid for.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 1000%. All any good team should count on from the catcher spot is 1) game and pitcher management 2) defense .... and 10) offense.

The BA of the top 5 AL catchers in 2013 batted for a combined .263BA. Salvatore Perez (.292) was #1 ... and Matt Wieters was #5 (.235). With the DH in the AL we can afford to invest more in game management and defense than the NL can afford to do and should take advantage of that.

I am perfectly happy with Geovany Soto and J.P. Arencibia holding down the fort until the right future catcher arrives. That may be Alfaro ... but having lived through the Teagarden hype ... think we ought to just let C issues rest and not put unfair expectations on our current duo or Alfaro.

Everyone else needs to do the offensive job. That's not what good catchers are paid for.

:agree:....Good stats to back up your thoughts in the opening paragraph.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on the Castro front I figure he will cost too much. But would be worth a call to check the price, and gives us a topic during the pre-ST doldrums. :suds:

Is there a consensus out there when Alfaro will be ML ready? Wasn't he way low, like A ball last year? I'm dumb when it comes to the minors, despite all the info I have available to me :L IF that was the case then I'd think he would need this year and next in the minors, maybe a Sept call up next season? 2016 would be when we could first get him up here?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the negotiations for Tanaka have until Jan 25 or 26. That seems like an eternity. Maybe things will get a little livelier after that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on the Castro front I figure he will cost too much. But would be worth a call to check the price, and gives us a topic during the pre-ST doldrums. :suds:

Is there a consensus out there when Alfaro will be ML ready? Wasn't he way low, like A ball last year? I'm dumb when it comes to the minors, despite all the info I have available to me :L IF that was the case then I'd think he would need this year and next in the minors, maybe a Sept call up next season? 2016 would be when we could first get him up here?

Yes, at Hickory.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the negotiations for Tanaka have until Jan 25 or 26. That seems like an eternity. Maybe things will get a little livelier after that.

haha, livelier will consist of every fan for the team that gets him saying he will be better than Yu and every fan of teams that didn't get him will say he costs too much and will be the next Daisuke.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha, livelier will consist of every fan for the team that gets him saying he will be better than Yu and every fan of teams that didn't get him will say he costs too much and will be the next Daisuke.

I just figure that the teams who do not end up with Tanaka will start looking at Garza, Ubaldo and Santana along with Cruz and Morales since those teams may have money to spend that they were willing to spend on Tanaka.

But I am sure you are right about the debates. Gives analyst something to do.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, at Hickory.

ended the year at High A Myrtle Beach, this is a big year development wise, b/c this is usually the point at which players start proving capable of jumping levels

Defensively is the main area he needs to improve, offensively his main area of improvement needed is plate discipline/patience/pitch recognition