• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he looked against us most of the time. If we did not already have Soto and JP then I would be interested. We have a few other needs/wants to fill.
I don't understand the concerns for Soto. He was a much better defensive catcher than AJ and better plate discipline yet he was back-up. BA was not so great but catchers ability to handle the rotation well suited Soto. I just think he doesn't get the recognition for the job he does.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the concerns for Soto. He was a much better defensive catcher than AJ and better plate discipline yet he was back-up. BA was not so great but catchers ability to handle the rotation well suited Soto. I just think he doesn't get the recognition for the job he does.

:agree:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think it's because he couldn't hold on to the starting role with the Cubs(and if you can't hold onto a position with them there has to be questions) and then when he came to the Rangers they were constantly looking for a starting catcher to put in over him. don't know what changed in the Rangers' thinking but they never showed anything other than marginal faith in him until this off-season

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it's because he couldn't hold on to the starting role with the Cubs(and if you can't hold onto a position with them there has to be questions) and then when he came to the Rangers they were constantly looking for a starting catcher to put in over him. don't know what changed in the Rangers' thinking but they never showed anything other than marginal faith in him until this off-season
Comparing him to AJ may have opened some eyes.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand them, he's been injury prone and inconsistent, probably related but the issue has existed

And I've been the biggest Soto proponent there is, but I understand the concerns

But the issue is cost vs benefit, does Castro provide a big enough upgrade for the cost in prospects? No, I don't think so

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was hurt a lot with the Cubs which affected his ability to stay on the field, and then he was never able to get into a groove when he did play due to the fact he was never consistently on the field

Vicious cycle

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Staying healthy and being productive when playing probably has something to do with it

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see this came out all wrong because I like Soto and what he does behind the plate and what he did in the last month or so at the plate. In fact in posts at the end of the year I wanted to see him get more playing time. . My issue is that we already have two catchers regardless of who they are and we have other needs/wants. I would be fine with Soto and Castro without JP but too late. So in essence while I like Castro I was saying no thanks.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying healthy and being productive when playing probably has something to do with it

It did as he was one of our more productive players the 2nd half of the year. Hit 324 with 5 HRs the 2nd half and 435 the last month.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand them, he's been injury prone and inconsistent, probably related but the issue has existed

And I've been the biggest Soto proponent there is, but I understand the concerns

But the issue is cost vs benefit, does Castro provide a big enough upgrade for the cost in prospects? No, I don't think so

You are right, he would not be worth what we would have to give up. He is a good looking young player but not what we need right now.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have been watching HOT STOVE. They are just as bored as we are.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Soto, but I'm not expecting much offensively from the catcher position, which is ok if everyone else does their job.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Soto, but I'm not expecting much offensively from the catcher position, which is ok if everyone else does their job.

I expect them to work with pitchers, scout hitters, frame pitches well, slow base runners, and provide pop at the bottom of the line-up. I would be very happy with a couple catchers that do all that. The rest will take care of itself.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect them to work with pitchers, scout hitters, frame pitches well, slow base runners, and provide pop at the bottom of the line-up. I would be very happy with a couple catchers that do all that. The rest will take care of itself.

I expect that too, and they better.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Soto puts up the same type of numbers he has since he's been here in Texas and play the same level defense, then the catcher position will be just fine and probably a plus

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Soto puts up the same type of numbers he has since he's been here in Texas and play the same level defense, then the catcher position will be just fine and probably a plus

:agree:....His catching should save 10 runs easy over AJs debauchery/throwing, so I look at this as a "reverse" RBIs. Frankly, if everyone else does their job, he should not be in a huge position to drive in runs; fewer base runners available to him.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be fine if he hits .250 with his usual power. I do worry he will go through multiple extended slumps. He hasn't played a full season since 2008, and the heat here could be a problem. Who knows, with more AB's he might put up a better AVG. Time will tell. I hope he does so he will have some value in a few years, if we decide to move him to bring up Alfaro.