• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MoveTheSticks: "@JHendrix6426: who would you rather have of those ten? Floyd, Star, Richardson?"> depends on the front.. Gave Star/Floyd same grade.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clowney joins list of future NFL players insuring future - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

While such is the inherent risk in playing football, Clowney is taking no chances when it comes to taking safeguards that will help protect his bright financial future.

Clowney is seeking insurance for his upcoming junior season. Richard "Big Daddy" Salgado, the president of Coastal Advisors LLC, told FOXSports.com that “a member of Clowney’s camp” inquired with his company about obtaining a policy worth as much as $5 million in case of a catastrophic injury that prematurely ends his playing career in 2013. Coastal Advisors has insured and guided 35 other top college prospects over the past 15 years in similar fashion, Salgado said.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A. Smith trade value Question for ChrisPozz

Question for ChrisPozz: What is your assessment of A. Smith current trade value given all the statements made by prospective teams and recent signings some of which might be posturing. You are probably the most objective observer/evaluator here so your insights would be appreciated. What can we expect to happen and where do you view him going and what would be the most likely compensation we would recieve? thanks in advance

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Question for ChrisPozz: What is your assessment of A. Smith current trade value given all the statements made by prospective teams and recent signings some of which might be posturing. You are probably the most objective observer/evaluator here so your insights would be appreciated. What can we expect to happen and where do you view him going and what would be the most likely compensation we would recieve? thanks in advance

It's looking less and less likely that something would happen as time goes on. There are reasons why a few teams would/could make some sense for Alex Smith - Cleveland, Kansas City, New York (A). As time goes on, though, it seems like there are reportedly almost as many reasons why something wouldn't/won't get done with any of those teams either.

I was fairly skeptical since Smith was hurt that a trade would happen but I wasn't real vocal about it because I didn't have a great read on where some teams were headed and how things stood with their cap situation. Now that there are valid reasons for each of those teams to pass, I could see one of those teams, or another, holding off until the 49ers release him outright and risk losing him in FA.

The only two wild cards left in my mind are Minnesota and Oakland. They qualify as wild cards to me because I haven't heard anything other than speculation on those two teams, but again, you could come up with some reasons why they may make some sense. I think Oakland is by far the least likely of each team I mentioned, however.

Minnesota has said they are comfortable going forward with Ponder but many seem to think they'd like to upgrade on Webb as the backup and some have speculated they wouldn't be opposed to adding somebody with experience behind Ponder who could step in in case he struggles or for injury.

IF the 49ers were able to get something for Smith on the other hand, my guess is that it would be a conditional late(r) round pick. A 6th that could be bumped up to a 5th or a 4th at the very, very highest if they reach the Super Bowl or something of that nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Tice:

Mike Glennon will be a part of this year's Jon Gruden QB Camp, which will be televised in April

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow..so not much in compensation for Alex..and becoming less likely..so sad for us..but overall..im glad we did so well the last few years..even this year falling short Im still happy we are competitive and knocking on the door returning to our former glory..thanks again for your insight

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CB in the first round for Indy?
February, 14, 2013 4:58PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Within his examination of problems for the four AFC South teams as part of the "Plugging the Holes" series, Tom Gower of Football Outsiders had this to say about the Indianapolis Colts' secondary:

"The first thing the Colts need is a starting cornerback opposite Vontae Davis. Cassius Vaughn was one of the worst starters in the NFL, and Colts opponents knew it, targeting him more than any other corner in the league. (Vaughn had a success rate of 48 percent, according to Football Outsiders game charting, which ranked him 69th out of 89 corners with at least 35 charted targets.) If free agent Darius Butler, who played well on the too-infrequent occasions he was healthy, is not retained, Indianapolis needs to replace him, as well."

So yeah, they need some help at that position. As we know, there are two ways to accomplish this: acquiring veterans through free agency or trades, and the draft. There are some interesting CBs whose contracts are up this offseason -- including Aqib Talib, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Brent Grimes and Cary Williams, the latter of whom played for Chuck Pagano during their time in Baltimore -- but they could also use the No. 24 overall pick on someone at the position, or attempt to secure an under-the-radar prospect in the third round or after. (Remember, the Colts sent their second-rounder to Miami in the Davis trade).

Our resident NFL Draft gurus -- Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay -- don't always agree on everything, but they came up with the exact same player for the Colts at No. 24 in their most recent mocks, Mississippi St. CB Johnthan Banks:

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Mock Draft V2.0
"The Colts are in a range where they might get some phone calls for potential trades. I can imagine teams drafting early in the second round moving here to get a QB in a decent value range. If Indy stays, the Colts can go a few different ways. If they really like an O-lineman here, I think that's a smart play because they simply have to do more to protect the future of the franchise. But we know the defense could use help in a few places, and the chance to take the second-best CB in the draft is something that could make sense here. Banks can start early and help this defense."

Todd McShay
Mock Draft V2.0
"The defensive front seven and the offensive line will certainly be in play here, but the Colts need to find some difference makers in the secondary. Banks has good size, is an instinctive cover corner, and shows toughness and outstanding ball skills. He notched 16 career picks at Mississippi State, including three he returned for scores."

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are getting too cute with their mock drafts & should go back & watch some tape on some of these players.

I don't see how people are sleeping on Johnathan Hankins right now. A lot of mock drafts have him going in the late 1st. The guy is a 1-man wrecking crew. And he's only 21 years old! Yet some people are in love with 25 year old Margus Hunt, who is more raw than Hankins & they have him going within like 10-20 picks of him. I keep going back & forth between Hankins & Richardson as the best DT in the draft. I thought Hankins was 23, but I must've gotten some wrong info'...

And people are going to regret sleeping on Keenan Allen too. I was laughing all year when Robert Woods was ranked ahead of him. The dude can flat-out ball. He might not have the best 40 time in the draft, but he's listed at 6'3 210. He's a big dude! And he catches everything & acceletrates very quickly. He's going to make some team VERY happy. If the Niners didn't take Jenkins last year, I'd probably be calling for 'em to draft this guy.

And what is Xavier Rhodes doing in some of these 1st-round mocks? Reeeeeeeeeeach! 3rd round telent there.

Sorry if I'm being a little redundant, but I'm just baffled at how people ar overlooking these guys.

I would love for the niners to draft Keenan Allen, but it's doubtful they'll go the Detroit Lions route and pick WR in consecutive years in the first round.

Being a big Cal fan, I've watched him the last three years and if Maynard, the QB, had any semblance of talent, Allen would have been a top 5 pick. Now, he just seems like a stud talent that will drop to the tail end of the first round where either St. Louis or Seattle will luck into him and have a great #1 Wideout for a decade and me hating them for it.

I also agree about Hunt, but disagree on Rhodes. I think Hunt will be good, but he's raw and being raw and kinda old doesn't usually work out. I think people see another JJ Watt in Hunt, which is a reach. Rhodes would fit the niners secondary style with his size, fluidity and athleticism. Might need to be coached up a bit, but luckily the niners have one of the best secondary coaches in the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I posted my 49er big board; here's my overall big board. Might as well do one before the combine hype starts up:

1. Tyler Wilson. A good QB trumps everything else.
2. Chance Warmack
3. Johnathan Hankins (don't know how I thought he was 23; he's really 21).
4. Sheldon Richardson
5. Jarvis Jones. Would be #1 overall if not for the potential injury concern
6. Damontre Moore. More versaitle scheme-wise than Jones, but Jones is the better pure pass-rusher.
7. Luke Joeckel
8. Star Lotulelei (always thought he was a little overrated, but he's a great prospect).
9. Geno Smith. Another good QB. Quick release; good pocket presence; cool under pressure. I think he'll be the #1 pick overall. But it'll be a mistake 'cause Wilson surveys the field & gets rid of the ball quicker.
10. Johnathan Cooper. Stud.
11. Alec Ogletree.
12. Johnathan Jenkins (boom or bust). If he works hard enough, he could be the most dominant defensive player in the entire draft.
13. Keenan Allen. One of those guys who's open even if he's not open. The next Boldin IMO.
14. Dion Jordan. I learnd from JPP not to under-estimate great athletic ability.
15. Eric Fisher
16. Dee Milliner
17. Sharrif Floyd
18. Ezekiel Anzah
19. Sam Montgomery
20. Bjorn Werner
21. Barkevious Mingo
22. Kawaan Short
24. Cordarelle Patterson
25. Lane Johnson

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say I'm proud of all of us here in the College Football thread. Once again our boldness has been proven to be the right course of action for the 49ers. We've been calling for Kaep since the beginning of the season and now our guy has a firm stranglehold on the starting position. We stood up to an opposition that had every right to believe Alex Smith was the man. Smith lead the league in completion percentage and in his last 28 attempts he's completed 26 of them, but at the end of the day WE came out the victors and that's what forum boards are all about.

Good job, 1z, I think I've taken it like a man and am hopeful for the future with Kaep. I was one to feel that Alex had one more year (this one, not next) but once I saw the CHI and NO game and Harbaugh announced it, I never questioned his choice. (I saw the reasons for Kaep before the switch, but wouldn't comment on choice until it was announced.)

Obviously, I still post about him, am on the optimistic side (understatement), and hope for the best for him, including if he stays as a backup here for emergencies, but my posts haven't ever been to second guess him, whether on the St. Louis pitch or the SB final series.

I think these forum boards are for discussions, community, and passing the time. While I don't think a told you so is necessary, I do commend you and your fellow board members for their faith in Harbaugh's man. I knew Smith was temporary but Kaep was ready when he got his chance, when his opportunity came earlier than expected. The good thing about being a Niner fan since childhood and a Niners fan first, is I get to enjoy these days with a multi-dimensional QB. It was a bonus that the better player was as professional, hard working, and intelligent as Smith was. I didn't like Troy Smith and thought Alex was better than Shaun, so that was hard, but this was easy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to have a QB in the NFC west named Wilson who's actually good though. :)

Read through this thread today and I was wondering what you think of Russell Wilson now in relation to before and in general about his strengths, weaknesses, and future?

However, I'm not sure [Murray] has anything on a QB like Tony Romo, who might end up being cut or traded by the Cowboys.

I know that Dallas is talking about an extension with Romo, but what do you think would/should happen with Romo if he doesn't get an extension with Dallas? What team(s) does he fit best (including Cowboys)? I know that Kaep is our guy, but you have expressed a few counterpoints to him as a franchise QB, I assume you take Kaep over Romo, though, right? How would he do here? (Not advocating a change, as I like Kaep and I don't think Romo would be a backup here, despite Harbaugh's high rating of him in the draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Read through this thread today and I was wondering what you think of Russell Wilson now in relation to before and in general about his strengths, weaknesses, and future?

All I can say is that it looks like I was wrong about Russell Wilson. He looks like a franchise QB.

I know that Dallas is talking about an extension with Romo, but what do you think would/should happen with Romo if he doesn't get an extension with Dallas? What team(s) does he fit best (including Cowboys)? I know that Kaep is our guy, but you have expressed a few counterpoints to him as a franchise QB, I assume you take Kaep over Romo, though, right? How would he do here? (Not advocating a change, as I like Kaep and I don't think Romo would be a backup here, despite Harbaugh's high rating of him in the draft.

I'd take just about anyone over Romo. He's like Bradford: just barely good enough to keep a job. That's worse than having a terrible QB because at least you aren't fooled into hoping (in vain) that the guy's going to win for you. Yes, I'd take Kaep over Romo. I was actually calling for Kaep to start before the season started. And, like many, many, many other occasions when people trashed me for saying so, I was probably right.

I don't think Kaep is as good as people say he is, and I give more credit to Harbaugh, Roman & the OL / running game than most, but he's still the franchise QB now. I don't know if that answers your question...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say is that it looks like I was wrong about Russell Wilson. He looks like a franchise QB.

I'd take just about anyone over Romo. He's like Bradford: just barely good enough to keep a job. That's worse than having a terrible QB because at least you aren't fooled into hoping (in vain) that the guy's going to win for you. Yes, I'd take Kaep over Romo. I was actually calling for Kaep to start before the season started. And, like many, many, many other occasions when people trashed me for saying so, I was probably right.

I don't think Kaep is as good as people say he is, and I give more credit to Harbaugh, Roman & the OL / running game than most, but he's still the franchise QB now. I don't know if that answers your question...

Yep, thanks for entertaining my questions. I'm not a big evaluator of talent in football, obviously. I know some in general, but I watch it for fun and for rooting for whoever is playing for the Niners or from my colleges. Very rarely do the Niners and my college teams overlap like it did with Alex Smith. I did root for Steve Young for similar reasons, despite BYU being a rival to the Utah Utes. The Utah connection was good, though I'm not a Mormon or BYU fan like Young.

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Kaep is as good as people say he is, and I give more credit to Harbaugh, Roman & the OL / running game than most, but he's still the franchise QB now.

I've seen you point to his supporting cast, but I don't think you can hold that against Kaep. Also not his fault he has a good coach or is coachable. The kid has 10 starts, he is not being "managed", he has made game changing plays with his arm and legs, he has made every throw and still has a ton of potential.

Not sure what more you could ask for at this point.