• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well, I wouldn't spend a 3rd round pick on him after that injury. Maybe a 5th.

But Lattimore could be the steal of the draft if he gets back to full health. In fact, I would've taken him with the FIRST round pick if he didn't have that injury.

yea I completely agree with the round valuation, however I wouldn't be opposed to a 4th since we have a multitude of 3rd day picks..

Honestly, if we do end up trading Smith for a 3rd and getting a comp 3rd rounder (from Snyder possibly?) I wouldn't be opposed to the comp pick in the 3rd since we would then have 3 3rd's(4 possibly)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Total number of draft picks

Just bumping this info for future use:

49ers 2013 picks
1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: Own pick
3. Third round: Own pick
4. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
5. Third round: Likely compensatory selection
6. Fourth round: Own pick
7. Fifth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
9. Sixth round: Own pick
10. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
11. Seventh round: Own pick
12. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
13. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wouldn't spend a 3rd round pick on him after that injury. Maybe a 5th.

But Lattimore could be the steal of the draft if he gets back to full health. In fact, I would've taken him with the FIRST round pick if he didn't have that injury.

If he never got injured Lattimore would be a top-5 prospect. Best RB prospect since Peterson, IMO. But obviously the injury changed things.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think that Lattimore, even with the injury, is worth the risk long term. I don't see us needing him this year which gives him ample time to rehab but if he was there for our comp pick at the end of the 3rd and we haven't already keyed on a long term solution for Gore's heir apparent, then I would be disappointed in letting a high character guy like Lattimore with that kind of talent go.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh, and that's another mock with Warmack going to the Rams. That MUST not happen!

The Niners need to jump ahead of them and steal that sucker!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
More on that mock.

Barrett Jones over Jonathan Cooper? No. Cooper is strong, quick, smart & plays hard. He's gonna be one of the better centers or guards in the league. I'd love it if he fell to the Niners.

And, like I've been saying for a long time, I doubt Teo goes ahead of Ogletree. Teo was overrated all year, and that was before we knew about his fictitious girlfriend.

REALLY don't want to see Keenan Allen on the Rams. Nor would I want to see DJ Fluker on the Seahawks. :(

Hankins in round 2!!!???? I hope not! If he's there at 31 he needs to be a 49er.

Kawann Short in round 2? Not! He'd be another good pick at 31. No love for the big DL in this mock.

This has the Niners getting Trevardo Williams in the 4th round. In my dreams.

Glad Cornelius Washngton is being overlooked.

Aaaaaaaand Sam Mongomery in round 3. What the crap...

At least they got Matt Barkley right. Late 3rd round. I've probably been the biggest Barkley hater here since last season, and people wanted to tar & feather me for it because he was having such a good junior year.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
there is a lot wrong with that mock.

1. DJ Swearinger is NOT a first round safety.
2. Datone Jones is not a 3rd round pick.
3. Mike Glennon is NOT a top ten qb..
4. I was gonna say Geno Smith isn't either.. but it's the Raiders.
5. Tyler Wilson is DEFINITELY not the first overall
6. Desmond Trufant will be a first round pick. (and one I hope we can get)
7. I actually really like the fit of EJ Manuel to Philthy to sit for a little while
8. His mid second round picks look well fit
9. While Barkley may not be worth of a first/early second day pick, I don't like the Houston fit. To me, he would be good as a third rounder to KC.
10. Kenny Stills is not Quinton Patton.
11. Quinton Patton is better.
12. Quinton Patton will be drafted alot higher than the 4th round..(our second rd pick possibly?)
13. Brandon Williams for us at 31 in the 3rd(The Ravens better not beat us again with that pick!!)
14. I don't know who that gentle giant is in the 4th round, but he doesn't look like our current make up at the TE position. Now that being said, harbaugh is the one who recruited Zach Ertz..

Alrighty, well that's most of my issues with the draft. I personally would love to see a draft of
1a.Desmond Trufant
1b.Datone Jones
2.Quinton Patton
3a.Brandon Williams
3b.Mario Koutevid..s..s.s.e.e.s.s.e.s whatever his name is for Center

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I still think that Lattimore, even with the injury, is worth the risk long term. I don't see us needing him this year which gives him ample time to rehab but if he was there for our comp pick at the end of the 3rd and we haven't already keyed on a long term solution for Gore's heir apparent, then I would be disappointed in letting a high character guy like Lattimore with that kind of talent go.

:agree:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the draft goes, I would love for there to be a huge rush on QBs in the first round, as none of them I really grade out as 1st round talents, in order for us to get an impact player or two in the first round. But I just can't fathom a scenario that was just painted for us in that mock. Tyler Wilson? Geno Smith? Glennon? All these guys taken, not just in the first round, but in the top 10? Really? That doesn't seem possible that teams would pant shit that moment so badly. And if you were to tell me last year that three QBs would be taken in the top 10 this year and none of them would be named Barkley, I'd tell you to shut your butt.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More ideas on Cincy's first-rounder
February, 12, 2013 10:18AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com Recommend

At this point of the NFL offseason calendar, it can be difficult to project exactly what teams will do with their draft picks, as some needs will be met in free agency. However, for teams that are already amongst the NFL's postseason contenders, they may elect to go with a "best player available" strategy, and so their behavior in the free agent market won't necessarily impact what they do in April. On the other hand, for a team like the Cincinnati Bengals -- which could be losing some key veterans this offseason -- their projections may change considerably between now and opening night of the draft. Nevertheless, it's never too early to go through a rundown of some possibilities.

Thanks to the deal that sent disgruntled QB Carson Palmer to the Oakland Raiders, the Bengals had some extra draft picks in 2012 and 2013. They converted their extra first-rounder last season into CB Dre Kirkpatrick, who didn't produce much during his rookie campaign, but who is being counted on to play a substantial role in the seasons ahead. This time around, they've got an extra second-rounder (No. 37 overall), which means they have the capital to move up in the first if they do fall in love with a particular player. Based on the NFL trade value chart -- which does not guarantee a pick's value, but rather serves as a guide for possible moves -- the No. 37 pick is worth 530 points, meaning that Cincinnati could move from No. 21 overall to as high as No. 10 overall.

As far as who they might be interested in, Ryan Lewis of the Akron Beacon Journal has some suggestions, based upon perceived needs at S, DE, OLB and RB. In Lewis' view, the Bengals may be targeting Texas S Kenny Vaccaro, UCLA DE Datone Jones, Georgia LB Alec Ogletree, Alabama RB Eddie Lacy and Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o.

An interesting group, though the Bengals may have to move up in order to secure some of them. In Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest mock, Te'o and Ogletree are off the board at No. 21, and Cincinnati tabs Vaccaro. In Todd McShay's, Te'o, Ogletree and Vaccaro are both taken ahead of No. 21, and Cincy grabs Lacy:

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Mock Draft V2.0
"This is just a big need spot for the Bengals. Reggie Nelson rated out pretty well for them, but the drop-off is significant from there. What you get in Vaccaro is a player who upgrades at either free or strong safety. Given Nelson's presence, Vaccaro should step in and be the Week 1 starter at strong safety. The Bengals need help at linebacker, and Vaccaro can actually offer that kind of presence, because he's a physical defender who can play in the box and defend the run effectively, or drop into coverage. He's a solid value here and fills a need."

Todd McShay
Mock Draft V2.0
"This is too high for Lacy in my opinion, but some believe he's worth a top-20 pick and if Cincinnati has a high enough grade on him it would make sense from a needs standpoint. I would rather see the Bengals address a different position, but they've used so many early-round picks on players at key positions (QB, OL, WR, DL, CB, TE) in recent years that they might be able to afford a luxury pick like this. Defensive end could also be an option if the right player were available."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Can the Cardinals find a quarterback?
February, 11, 2013 4:02PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

New Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians faces plenty of questions as he leads a rebuilding effort in the desert, not the least of which is how to address the Cardinals' quarterback situation.

Arians, who has proved capable of developing quarterbacks in the past, must first decide whether Kevin Kolb, John Skelton or Ryan Lindley are good fits.

Kolb has had trouble staying healthy and is due to count $13.5 million against the salary cap if he stays with the team. Skelton and Lindley have strong arms but have been erratic, which might not bode well given Arians' emphasis on fundamental situational football.

Assuming the Cardinals look outside the organization for help at quarterback, does the 2013 draft offer a solution?

West Virginia's Geno Smith is the top-rated quarterback on the board, but he isn't a perfect fit in Arizona's new offense. Smith's mobility would serve him well behind an offensive line that gave up a league-leading 58 sacks last season, but he does not have elite arm strength to consistently drive the ball down the field. The same can be said of USC's Matt Barkley, who also lacks upper-echelon arm strength and is not nearly as mobile as Smith.

That leaves NC State's Mike Glennon, who sits third on the quarterback board but throws the kind of deep ball Arians' offense will require.

Glennon has the arm to stretch the field vertically, and throws with an easy motion and proper touch. He also flashes the ability to change trajectory on his passes and can drive the ball to hit back-shoulder throws down the field.

Mike Glennon's arm strength would fit nicely in the Cardinals' new offense.

He's drawn some comparisons to reigning Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco because of his size and arm strength, but the big difference between the two is that Glennon (6-foot-7¼, 225 pounds) lacks foot speed and athleticism to move inside and outside the pocket. Flacco isn't an elite athlete, either, but he was underrated in that area coming out of Delaware and showed during the Ravens' recent playoff run that he is more than just a statue in the backfield.

Arians has coached quarterbacks such as Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck in the past, and it's clear on tape that Glennon does not have the same ability as the other two when it comes to working off-schedule in the pocket.

However, if the Cardinals do decide Glennon can help them, there are some things to consider.

First, in my mind, he is not worthy of the seventh pick in the draft, which is where the Cardinals currently sit. Second, if Arizona does bring Glennon in, the Cards will also need to address a pair of other needs: the offensive line and depth at running back.

The Cardinals would do well to shore up the line -- specifically at left tackle -- with the No. 7 overall pick, where they could potentially choose between Central Michigan OT Eric Fisher and Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson.

Both have the length and natural feet to be effective blindside protectors, and bringing one of them in would allow Levi Brown -- who has durability issues and is signed through 2016 -- to move to a more natural fit on the right side.

Assuming Glennon gets past the Buffalo Bills at No. 8 and the New York Jets at No. 9, there does not appear to be another team on the board that would consider taking a quarterback in the first round. And while Glennon carries a second-round grade, positional value is a consideration and Glennon could be a target of teams looking to trade back into the late first round to get him.

Arizona would still get a much better value in that scenario than it would taking Glennon at No. 7, with the added bonus of getting a potential cornerstone left tackle.

If Glennon doesn't get the nod, a prospect such as Tennessee's Tyler Bray could be a consideration in the third-round area. Bray has as much arm talent as any quarterback in the 2013 class, but his mechanics need work and he's been inconsistent in terms of protecting the ball. There are also questions about his maturity, but from a tools standpoint, Bray fits in Arians' offense and might be worth a chance in the third round.

More backfield help?

The Cardinals are set at wide receiver with Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts, which makes the running game the next priority on offense.

Former second-round pick Ryan Williams has dealt with injuries and played in only five games since being drafted in 2011, and veteran Beanie Wells missed much of the 2012 season while battling turf toe. Arizona would do well to add depth in the backfield, especially if it goes with a quarterback such as Glennon, who will need a play-action game to help keep the pass rush honest and allow for time to throw downfield.

Mid-to-late-round prospects such as Stanford's Stepfan Taylor, Arkansas' Dennis Johnson and Vanderbilt's Zac Stacy could help in that way. And keep an eye on a potential sleeper in Stony Brook's Miguel Maysonet, who is an aggressive, downhill runner with good balance who could provide later-round value.

Much could change before we get to draft day in late April, but given what we know about the Cardinals now, this scenario offers at least a glimpse at how they might approach things.

Arians will have plenty of input into the offensive game plan and play calling, and with some pieces to work with on defense, it seems likely Arizona will go heavy on offense when draft weekend rolls around.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That mock gives us a 4th for Morgan. I think that's MUCH more likely than a 3rd. The beat writers keep projecting a 3rd. I don't see it. Only two teams got comp picks over the past two years, and those were Oakland for Asomugha and Carolina for Peppers. Joshua Morgan ain't in that class.

What about Adam Snyder? Was that this year or this past year? I wanna say it was this year? Didn't he get a decent sized contract from AZ?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What about Adam Snyder? Was that this year or this past year? I wanna say it was this year? Didn't he get a decent sized contract from AZ?

We will get a comp pick for Snyder, but Morgan had the bigger (albeit shorter) contract.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Detroit's options at No. 5
February, 12, 2013 3:49PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

One of the flex points of the Top 10 of this year's NFL Draft is at No. 5 overall, where the Detroit Lions could go a number of ways, setting off the proverbial dominoes based upon who they do (and more importantly, do not) pick. So what are their options?

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press notes that the timeline of the offseason will help guide us towards an answer: the Lions must make decisions on their own impending free agents -- including six starters on defense -- prior to signing anyone in the open market. And about a month later, that's when the draft takes place. So some of the holes will have been filled by then.

At this point, the top options for Detroit appear to be a CB such as Alabama's Dee Milliner, an OT such as Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher, or a pass-rusher such as Georgia's Jarvis Jones, A&M's Damontre Moore or Florida St.'s Bjoern Werner. Milliner, Joeckel and Werner were off the board for Detroit in Todd McShay's latest mock draft, so he sent Oregon DE Dion Jordan to the Motor City. In Mel Kiper Jr's vision of the draft, Milliner, Joeckel and Moore were taken, so the pick was Jones:

Mel Kiper Jr.
Mock Draft V2.0
"Detroit cut veteran Kyle Vanden Bosch to clear more cap space. Jones isn't the pure 4-3 defensive end to fill that void, but he'll certainly upgrade the pass rush. No, he's not a perfect fit in the current system, but Gunther Cunningham will be thrilled to scheme with Jones in mind. Roll the tape, and regardless of the how teams tried to stop Jones, you see them fail. He led the nation in sacks even though he was a blocking target, used great leverage to hold up as a run defender and in every case, was simply relentless. Sure, Detroit could also use Milliner if available, but a great pass defense starts with pressure."

Todd McShay
Mock Draft V2.0
"Cornerback is the Lions' biggest need, but with Milliner off the board the defensive line becomes the focus. With Kyle Vanden Bosch having been released and LDE Cliff Avril an unrestricted free agent, Detroit has a need at end. There is simply too much young talent at defensive tackle to let things deteriorate at end. Jordan is an underrated talent with the length and athleticism to develop into an impact starter in NFL, and he's shown the versatility to play multiple roles along the front seven."

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think people are getting too cute with their mock drafts & should go back & watch some tape on some of these players.

I don't see how people are sleeping on Johnathan Hankins right now. A lot of mock drafts have him going in the late 1st. The guy is a 1-man wrecking crew. And he's only 21 years old! Yet some people are in love with 25 year old Margus Hunt, who is more raw than Hankins & they have him going within like 10-20 picks of him. I keep going back & forth between Hankins & Richardson as the best DT in the draft. I thought Hankins was 23, but I must've gotten some wrong info'...

And people are going to regret sleeping on Keenan Allen too. I was laughing all year when Robert Woods was ranked ahead of him. The dude can flat-out ball. He might not have the best 40 time in the draft, but he's listed at 6'3 210. He's a big dude! And he catches everything & acceletrates very quickly. He's going to make some team VERY happy. If the Niners didn't take Jenkins last year, I'd probably be calling for 'em to draft this guy.

And what is Xavier Rhodes doing in some of these 1st-round mocks? Reeeeeeeeeeach! 3rd round telent there.

Sorry if I'm being a little redundant, but I'm just baffled at how people ar overlooking these guys.