• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would be estatic with Mel's mock. John Jenkins is a stud.

There's no reason Jenkins should go past the Saints at 15 IMO. 31 would be obscene. If he stays in shape & maybe even loses 15 pounds, he could eventually be the best DT in the draft. He could have some Vince Wilfork in him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's no reason Jenkins should go past the Saints at 15 IMO. 31 would be obscene. If he stays in shape & maybe even loses 15 pounds, he could eventually be the best DT in the draft. He could have some Vince Wilfork in him.

Not quite but close! John Jenkins warrants a double team if you want to run the ball at us. You double him, someone is roaming free to get to the runner. It's the passing down situations that worries me just a little bit. Like the previous poster stated, I would be happy with that selection based on what is left on the board. If we are able to trade 2 of our 3rd round picks, we could then trade up to 2nd round and grab Austin. And with our own 2nd round pick we can draft Poyer, Trufant, or Amerson. That would be make me give Baalke and company a standing ovation :clap:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy with Big John Jenkins at 31.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pats' big WR need
February, 8, 2013 11:25AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

While the New England Patriots' decision on internal free agents Wes Welker and Julian Edelman will be made within the next few weeks, their quest to find a big, outside WR will go through free agency and perhaps the draft. In truth, since Randy Moss' magical campaigns of 2007 through 2009, the Pats haven't really had a player that could dominate from the outside WR position.

Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com examined some of the club's options in this regard. Currently slated to hit free agency are players like Dwayne Bowe and Mike Wallace, while another option could potentially become available in Anquan Boldin: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter noted that Boldin could be a cap casualty for Baltimore this offseason.

The other means of acquiring such a player is the draft, and though the Pats only have four picks currently, one of them could be used to acquire a WR of this mold: Scouts, Inc.'s Steve Muench believes that Cal's Keenan Allen, Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rogers and Elon's Aaron Mellette could develop down this pathway. Here are his thoughts on Allen:

Steve Muench
Is Allen the next Boldin?
"Allen has the frame (6-3, 206) and body control to make plays downfield against one-on-one coverage, and he's shifty after the catch for a player his size. However, he's similar to Boldin in that Allen isn't a burner who can ran past NFL corners or away from NFL pursuit after the catch. Allen still projects as a fringe first round pick, though, because he is a polished route-runner who masks average burst by setting up breaks and can pluck the ball out of the air without breaking stride. He also does not hesitate to go over the middle, where he excels at attacking the second level of coverage and can hold on to the ball after absorbing a big hit. His competitiveness is impressive, too. In addition to fighting for yards after contact, Allen continues to adjust his route and look for voids in the coverage when his quarterback holds onto the ball."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blidi Wreh-Wilson

He's a talented corner! Press coverage seems to be his weakness (that may explains why he always seems to give up so much cushion? Or it could be by design based on their defensive scheme?). Anyway, I see why he is soaring up draft boards lately. I only saw one game he played this year (and it wasn't really a full game) - the senior bowl showed that he belongs and is certainly worthy of a late first early 2nd round pick. He just needs to be coached more on his press technique (that may take years to master that craft). In addition, he is not a Winfield/Clements type like corner when it comes to pulling up to support the run. He's average at best when it comes down to tackling:

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft 2013
McShay & Kiper: Mock draft debate
Gurus explain pivotal differences in latest NFL draft forecasts
Originally Published: February 8, 2013
By Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Peter G. Aiken/USA Today Sports
Much of the first-round projection depends on how teams view Geno Smith and the draft's QBs.

This week, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay each released a second mock draft of the year. But with the two experts diverging on their projections in several intriguing instances, we decided to press them for deeper explanations. The following analysis helps bring into focus key questions concerning how the top of the draft will play out, whether there's a QB worthy of a top-10 pick, and what the situation at running back will look like in April.

You guys split on the No. 1 pick. Feeling confident?

Todd: Not really. I think there are two questions we still have to answer. One, what do the Kansas City Chiefs do at QB? Only the Chiefs know their plan of attack. They need to evaluate QBs in free agency and rookie QBs. They need to figure out if a free-agent QB is going to be a stopgap QB or quote-unquote franchise QB. Is there a QB that interests them at some point in the draft? The second question is what their plan is with Brandon Albert. If they don't have a QB they like for the No. 1 overall pick and Albert comes back, there's a stronger likelihood they could go in a different direction. That's why I went with the choice of Star Lotulelei.

Star Lotulelei fills a need for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Mel: I think they're still in the process of evaluating a number of players for that pick. I put Luke Joeckel there because I think right now he represents the most guaranteed value from the selection. In the absence of certainty, that's a direction you go, and there's no way they have certainty with that pick yet. I'll say this: I disagree that the No. 1 pick could be a QB. At this point, it's just hard for me to see Geno Smith, Matt Barkley or a guy like Mike Glennon being considered enough of a guarantee at that spot. I think where you see Kansas City think about QB is either at No. 33 overall, or if they trade up into the 20s and get a better value. And you're right, Todd, free agency or a trade could still solve that problem.

Todd, you went with Geno Smith at No. 8. Is that a need pick or player pick? And Mel -- no QBs at all?

Todd: It's because of need. I think Geno goes in the first round. You can't project trades, and it wouldn't even shock me if he went No. 2 to Jacksonville or No. 4 to Philly. He probably won't go at No. 7 to Arizona, because Bruce Arians likes the vertical passing game and could go with Mike Glennon in the second round. But going to Buffalo at No. 8 could work. If it doesn't, a team could move up to the mid-to-late portion of the first round. Teams have a funny way of moving up to get guys, especially at the QB position.

Mel: I don't have a QB going in the first round in my mock. It sounds like a cop-out, but Todd knows this too -- we just can't project a trade into the mock, and I really think that based on where they sit on draft boards right now, the maneuvering to get a QB shouldn't be at the top of the draft, it should be in the 20s or even the teens. Now, is that pick possible for Buffalo? I guess. What happens when QBs go so high is teams can't assume they can simply trade down and still get their guy. Look at Miami last year. I thought Ryan Tannehill was a bit of a reach at No. 8. They even acknowledged it! But if they called the 12 teams right behind them and didn't get a good fit for a trade, do they trade all the way down to, say, No. 25 and just hope their guy is still around? No. So I think it's fair to reflect how desperate teams are at QB, I'm just not ready to do it yet. If Buffalo, Kansas City, Arizona or Jacksonville strikes out completely in free agency and can't even deal for a guy like Matt Flynn, then I'll have to react to it. But I sure hope one of these QBs shows something more in the coming weeks too.

Any running back worthy of a first-round pick this year? Mel had one, Todd didn't.

Todd: I don't have a first-round grade on any running back. Eddie Lacy out of Alabama received the highest grade, with Le'veon Bell and Montee Ball getting second-round grades. I gave Jawan Jamison a higher grade than I expected, a late-second-round grade. I've heard people say that Giovani Bernard may go in the late first and early second round, but I just don't see it on tape. He has versatility, but he doesn't break enough tackles, and there are questions about his durability.

Mel: I've changed my opinion on this, and I now have Eddie Lacy as an option. If he shows he can catch the ball well, I think he's getting close to what we might have at one time called an "every-down" back. Now, that's really the problem though. What NFL team that doesn't have Adrian Peterson truly has an "every-down" back? Guys just aren't used like that. I had Bernard atop my running back rankings this year, but while he's versatile, I can't see him in Round 1. Same with a guy like Kenjon Barner, who offers a great speed element but isn't a 20-carry back. Ball lacks enough explosiveness for me to go that high. So right now it's Lacy, and let's hope he is fantastic in workouts.

D.J. Fluker: Todd had him out, Mel had him in. Who's right?

Todd: He could go in the first round, and I considered him for Baltimore, which needs a left tackle. But Fluker's a classic right tackle who has to improve his footwork. For me, he grades out as a second-round pick.

Mel: I might be a little caught up in the measurables -- the really long arms coaches crave in left tackles, the huge size, the ability to really maul in the run game when he's focused -- but I think he can go in Round 1. I think the big question is which teams see him as a future starting left tackle. If you feel he can stay there, he's a first-rounder. If you feel, as Todd says, he has to be on the right side, he's probably not.

Name a guy you wanted to put in but couldn't fit.

Todd: It was Tavon Austin more than anyone. I thought about putting him with the 49ers, but they need a guy with more size and someone who can get downfield as a perimeter vertical threat. I also thought about the Patriots, and if Jonathan Cooper is gone, I could see Austin going there.

Mel: I'll go with Xavier Rhodes, the cornerback out of Florida State. He doesn't have the ceiling of a guy like Dee Milliner, but teams drafting in the 24-32 range will see a corner who can start immediately. Rhodes has a lot of polish, and while he's not explosive changing directions out of his backpedal, he's smooth and experienced.

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Mel Kiper Jr.
Football analyst

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats' big WR need
February, 8, 2013 11:25AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

While the New England Patriots' decision on internal free agents Wes Welker and Julian Edelman will be made within the next few weeks, their quest to find a big, outside WR will go through free agency and perhaps the draft. In truth, since Randy Moss' magical campaigns of 2007 through 2009, the Pats haven't really had a player that could dominate from the outside WR position.

Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com examined some of the club's options in this regard. Currently slated to hit free agency are players like Dwayne Bowe and Mike Wallace, while another option could potentially become available in Anquan Boldin: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter noted that Boldin could be a cap casualty for Baltimore this offseason.

The other means of acquiring such a player is the draft, and though the Pats only have four picks currently, one of them could be used to acquire a WR of this mold: Scouts, Inc.'s Steve Muench believes that Cal's Keenan Allen, Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rogers and Elon's Aaron Mellette could develop down this pathway. Here are his thoughts on Allen:

Steve Muench
Is Allen the next Boldin?
"Allen has the frame (6-3, 206) and body control to make plays downfield against one-on-one coverage, and he's shifty after the catch for a player his size. However, he's similar to Boldin in that Allen isn't a burner who can ran past NFL corners or away from NFL pursuit after the catch. Allen still projects as a fringe first round pick, though, because he is a polished route-runner who masks average burst by setting up breaks and can pluck the ball out of the air without breaking stride. He also does not hesitate to go over the middle, where he excels at attacking the second level of coverage and can hold on to the ball after absorbing a big hit. His competitiveness is impressive, too. In addition to fighting for yards after contact, Allen continues to adjust his route and look for voids in the coverage when his quarterback holds onto the ball."

I think the closest player to Anquan Boldin is Chris Harper from Kansas State. A player I really want the 49ers to draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That pick, like Kaep's almost-delay-of-game & him not throwing the ball way before half time, would be inexcuseable. You don't take another friggn' WR who is very similar to the one they picked last year over a pass-rusher like Sam Montgomery or a force like John Jenkins.

In that scenario (assuming no trade up), I'd take John Jenkins or trade down for Jesse Williams or Barrett Jones.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the closest player to Anquan Boldin is Chris Harper from Kansas State. A player I really want the 49ers to draft.

I think he could be an interesting prospect to come and play the Delanie Walker role. Now that being said that is based purely off measurables. I don't have any idea how he is at blocking or any of the other essential things Delanie does. But then again, Delanie wasn't exactly known for his versatility when he first came out anyhow. Just a thought.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That pick, like Kaep's almost-delay-of-game & him not throwing the ball way before half time, would be inexcuseable. You don't take another friggn' WR who is very similar to the one they picked last year over a pass-rusher like Sam Montgomery or a force like John Jenkins.

In that scenario (assuming no trade up), I'd take John Jenkins or trade down for Jesse Williams or Barrett Jones.

Whaaaa??? are you serious? They are nothing alike Sick. Nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Well, that is probably true because I think Tavon Austin will be a good player. Hope I'm wrong about AJ Jenkins.

But they're both smaller, fast WRs. Austin is probably more like Desean Jackson in terms of size, but I don't think he's quite as fast as Jackson is. But saying they're "nothing" alike isn't true.

I'm also not a huge fan of taking WRs who had gaudy stats with a really good college QB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just want to say that the Niners are going to have a great draft because they got screwed in the Superbowl. Just to even things out a little.

I have no rationale to back this up, but it's gonna happen. :)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well, that is probably true because I think Tavon Austin will be a good player. Hope I'm wrong about AJ Jenkins.

But they're both smaller, fast WRs. Austin is probably more like Desean Jackson in terms of size, but I don't think he's quite as fast as Jackson is. But saying they're "nothing" alike isn't true.

They are nothing alike man. Desean Jackson could never line up in the backfield to take on a couple carries a game like Percy Harvin does. Not saying Austin is another Percy, but he is very much closer to Percy in comparison than bum a$$ AJ Jenkins (who was told he needed to bulk up).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They are nothing alike man. Desean Jackson could never line up in the backfield to take on a couple carries a game like Percy Harvin does. Not saying Austin is another Percy, but he is very much closer to Percy in comparison than bum a$$ AJ Jenkins (who was told he needed to bulk up).

Just because Austin lined up in the backfield a lot doesn't mean he's not similar to AJ Jenkins in terms of their abilities as WRs.

And Austin is listed at 174 pounds. For a fast guy in the backfield, they have Lamichael James.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just because Austin lined up in the backfield a lot doesn't mean he's not similar to AJ Jenkins in terms of their abilities as WRs.

And Austin is listed at 174 pounds. For a fast guy in the backfield, they have Lamichael James.

Cool. We will revisit this thread in 8 months from now, I will call you on it. AJ Jenkins wasn't even being mocked as a 1st day pick this time last year. Going into the draft he was being mocked in going in the late 2nd and to early 3rd round range. This year is deeper and better at the WR position and still, Austin is able to get projected to go higher in comparison to how Jenkins last year. They are nothing alike and it's an insult to Austin that you are comparing him to AJ Jenkins. In 8 months buddy!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cool. We will revisit this thread in 8 months from now, I will call you on it. AJ Jenkins wasn't even being mocked as a 1st day pick this time last year. Going into the draft he was being mocked in going in the late 2nd and to early 3rd round range. This year is deeper and better at the WR position and still, Austin is able to get projected to go higher in comparison to how Jenkins last year. They are nothing alike and it's an insult to Austin that you are comparing him to AJ Jenkins. In 8 months buddy!!

Don't get mw wrong; I'm not down on Tavon Austin. He's just not what the 49ers need right now (except that he could return punts). And I never liked the AJ Jenkins pick one bit; I wanted Glenn, Janoris or Hill. The Niners have had too many red-zone problems the last couple of years to take a 5'9 WR. This is also why I said a #2 TE should be a need. Sign Mike Wallace for the deep threat & get a big ol' blocking 6'5+ kind of #2 TE who has a nast vertical (Walker will get a big contract elsewhere; he's gone).

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he could be an interesting prospect to come and play the Delanie Walker role. Now that being said that is based purely off measurables. I don't have any idea how he is at blocking or any of the other essential things Delanie does. But then again, Delanie wasn't exactly known for his versatility when he first came out anyhow. Just a thought.

I don't think you draft him to replace Walker IMO, but as a WR. He would be a different WR than any that we have (a big strong guy who can make catches in traffic and box out the DB). Although I have to admit I am biased towards him because of what I saw Anquan Boldin do in the postseason and I see them as very similar players. He also is not a first round pick, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 3rd round pick on him.

Earlier in the year I was 50/50 on resigning Walker, but now I think he may be our most important FA. I think we have a good shot at keeping him too becasue I think he's more valuable to us then he would be with any other team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, that mock from NFL dot com has Jonathan Cooper going 16th to the Rams. He was my way-too-early first round pick for the Niners. I hope NFL dot com is wrong because Cooper is a big, athletic, strong, disciplined, smart, high-motor guy who would be great at C IMO.