• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, these are the guys I'm looking at at 31 (or through a reasonable trade up)

Datone Jones
DeAndre Hopkins
Tavon Austin
Sheldon Richardson
Jordan Poyer
Matt Elam

Crabtree is developing into a #1 WR and you 'were' high on Jenkins, so why the focus of WR's near the top? I almost understand why you'd feel forced to select DeAndre Hopkins because could begin to have something similar to Atlanta, but Tavon Austin means Jenkins is a complete bust since I'm presuming the vision for both WR's is to play at a high level as a slot receiver.

On a tangent...
What are people's theories about Amerson at safety?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree is developing into a #1 WR and you 'were' high on Jenkins, so why the focus of WR's near the top? I almost understand why you'd feel forced to select DeAndre Hopkins because could begin to have something similar to Atlanta, but Tavon Austin means Jenkins is a complete bust since I'm presuming the vision for both WR's is to play at a high level as a slot receiver.

On a tangent...
What are people's theories about Amerson at safety?

1z, what's your issue with adding a receiver at 31 if he happens to be the BPA? If Patterson is there, I'm taking him. He would make Crabtree and Davis much more dangerous. Crabtree in the slot and Jenkins and Patterson on the outside would make us unstoppable. Gore would have a 2k season IMO if you we force teams to play six DBs to try to stop our passing attack.

Now, with regard to your question pertaining to Amerson. He would make a fantastic safety. He doesn't like to hit though and would make you angry. It's okay to see T. Brown miss tackles, because that's not his forte. However, seeing that from a safety would drive you nuts. With all that said, he would make our unit much, much better. Don't get me wrong, he's not afraid to hit, it's just that he has poor technique when pulling up to make a tackle. That should be coachable! What I love about him is that he has a nose for the ball (can't teach that - you just have to have "it") and tremendous intincts to trick quarterbacks into making bad reads. Amerson is one of my favorite players in this draft and adding him to our squad would be a blessing to us 9ers fans. I am well aware of his weaknesses (lack of top end speed and simply a mediocre tackler) and I think he brings more positive (big plays) than negative plays.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1z, what's your issue with adding a receiver at 31 if he happens to be the BPA? If Patterson is there, I'm taking him. He would make Crabtree and Davis much more dangerous. Crabtree in the slot and Jenkins and Patterson on the outside would make us unstoppable. Gore would have a 2k season IMO if you we force teams to play six DBs to try to stop our passing attack.

Now, with regard to your question pertaining to Amerson. He would make a fantastic safety. He doesn't like to hit though and would make you angry. It's okay to see T. Brown miss tackles, because that's not his forte. However, seeing that from a safety would drive you nuts. With all that said, he would make our unit much, much better. Don't get me wrong, he's not afraid to hit, it's just that he has poor technique when pulling up to make a tackle. That should be coachable! What I love about him is that he has a nose for the ball (can't teach that - you just have to have "it") and tremendous intincts to trick quarterbacks into making bad reads. Amerson is one of my favorite players in this draft and adding him to our squad would be a blessing to us 9ers fans. I am well aware of his weaknesses (lack of top end speed and simply a mediocre tackler) and I think he brings more positive (big plays) than negative plays.

If Banks drops to us, I feel he's the guy that could vastly improve our secondary. He's on par with Casey Heyward in terms of coverage skills.

Hopkins, Hunter, and Allen I'm comfortable with drafting, but Austin as I said would replace Jenkins who we haven't given a chance and Patterson I'm just not high on as a 1st round pick.

Amerson would be my wild card pick. I don't know enough about his 2012 season as of yet.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson turned Amerson into the invisible man. Bout all I need to know about him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Is the next Anquan Boldin out there?
February, 4, 2013 3:35PM ET
By Steve Muench

Anquan Boldin came to Baltimore via a 2009 trade with Arizona, and Boldin is coming of his best season in a Ravens uniform (65 catches, 921 yards, 4 TD) that ended with an impressive performance (6 catches, 104 yards, TD) in Super Bowl XLVII.

Not bad for a 32-year old receiver who ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.7-second range at the 2003 Combine. Boldin doesn't have the flashy speed of Baltimore running mates Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones, but he makes up for it with a physical style.

Boldin is a savvy route-runner who knows how to get open underneath, but he doesn't have to separate from coverage to make plays. He uses his 220-pound frame to box defenders out and has the strong hands to pull the ball in with defenders on his back. Boldin is a shade under 6-foot-1, but he's strong and aggressive enough to come down with jump balls.

His power also shows up after the catch. Boldin won't make many defenders miss and he's not going to run away from NFL pursuit, but he'll lower his shoulder and drive his legs through contact.

Finally, there's no questioning Boldin's toughness. A crushing hit by Jets S Eric Smith in 2008 required Boldin to undergo surgery to repair a sinus fracture and wires to be inserted in his lower jaw. Boldin also sustained a concussion on the play, but he was back in the lineup and less than a month.

So which receivers in the 2013 draft class are cut from the same cloth as Boldin? Here's a look at three wideouts who are expected to run better 40 times than Boldin but who clearly rely more on size, strength and competitiveness than explosiveness and top-end speed.

Keenan Allen's size and strength make him effective running routes and catching the ball in traffic.

California's Keenan Allen (Grade: 89)
Allen missed the final three games of 2012 after injuring his left knee trying to recover an onside kick against Utah, and he also underwent ankle surgery in the spring of 2012. Teams will pay close attention to his medical exams as the draft approaches, but his big-play ability will also be important to his evaluation.

Allen has the frame (6-3, 206) and body control to make plays downfield against one-on-one coverage, and he's shifty after the catch for a player his size. However, he's similar to Boldin in that Allen isn't a burner who can ran past NFL corners or away from NFL pursuit after the catch.

Allen still projects as a fringe first round pick, though, because he is a polished route-runner who masks average burst by setting up breaks and can pluck the ball out of the air without breaking stride. He also does not hesitate to go over the middle, where he excels at attacking the second level of coverage and can hold on to the ball after absorbing a big hit.

His competitiveness is impressive, too. In addition to fighting for yards after contact, Allen continues to adjust his route and look for voids in the coverage when his quarterback holds onto the ball.

Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rogers* (70)
Being a saint isn't a requirement to play in the NFL, and Rogers won't be the first mercurial receiver to enjoy success if he catches on. Still, it's important that he impress teams during the interview process and ease concerns about his character baggage, because Rogers doesn't have the elite natural ability to make teams overlook it. He lacks the second gear to take the top of the coverage and is not an elite big-play threat after the catch.

Rogers has the strong hands to snatch the ball out of the air and appears to have an above-average catching radius even for a player who checks in at 6-3 and 215 pounds. He also has the body control to adjust to passes thrown outside his frame and win jump balls downfield and in the red zone.

Rogers doesn't separate as well as Allen, but he's also willing to work the middle of the field and capable of making plays against tight coverage. And while there are red flags surrounding his off-field character, it's hard to question Rogers' passion for the game and that will matter most to an NFL team.

Elon's Aaron Mellette (64)
Mellette played four years at the FCS level and that naturally raises concerns about the level of competition he faced. However, after watching him against the likes of Vanderbilt (2011) and North Carolina (2012), and at the 2013 Senior Bowl, he appears capable of contributing at the next level.

Mellette had a tough time separating from coverage at the Senior Bowl, but his performance there was not a complete letdown. He showed he can shield defenders from the ball, and made some of the same kinds of tough catches he's made on film.

And despite struggles against the Tar Heels. Mellette has proven he can hold his own when the level of competition jumps up. He doesn't have great arm length or hand size, but he doesn't drop many balls and there is a lot to like about his aggressiveness and strength when competing for 50-50 balls.

Steve Muench
Scouts Inc.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Best available NFL free agents
An authentic front-office ranking of the 2013 class
Originally Published: February 5, 2013
By Bill Polian | ESPN Insider

Steven Jackson and Joe Flacco rank among the best free agents. What about Dwayne Bowe?

With the 2012 season officially in the books, attention now turns to team plans for 2013. For NFL front offices, however, that process started long ago.

As early as Thanksgiving, general managers begin evaluating their projected rosters for the following season, studying the draft and free-agent classes to see how they can best augment their talent. By the time the Super Bowl rolls around, they already have a list of key offseason targets, particularly for free agency, which opens March 12.

Although the draft provides the nucleus of your starters in today's NFL, the majority of your roster still comes from free agency and the pro-scouting process. That said, there is almost always a risk in signing a free agent. That a player even reaches free agency is a warning sign on some level. If his team thought he was a truly valuable commodity, how come it hasn't already locked him up? But that can't -- and won't -- deter teams as they round out their rosters.

I'm certain that between now and then you'll see multiple lists ranking this year's free-agent class from No. 1 right on down the line. While I understand why those lists exist, it is not how a real NFL GM approaches free agency. There are several elements that make a comprehensive ranking moot. For starters, players have different values in different systems. A team that plays a lot of Cover 2 might not emphasize a cornerback the same as a blitz-heavy team such as the New York Jets. Dwight Freeney might be a great pickup for a team utilizing a Wide-9 scheme, although he makes less sense as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 set. And while Andy Levitre is a great player, how much does a team want to pay a guard? With all these variables unique to each team, there's no universal value for a player.

As a GM, when I approached free agency, I utilized a tier system based on how I valued players. It involved three classes, which you'll see below:

Free-agency tiers
A Players: Worth paying big, starter-caliber money.
B Players: Guys I would sign but only if the value made sense.
C Players: Guys I'd sign for low-salary, short-term (one or two years) value, with low bonuses.

Within each of those groups, there are further considerations, particularly injuries, age and character. The concern with injury is obvious, as that player might never recapture his previous level of performance or even see the field. Age is a concern for anyone older than 26 because a five-year contract would take the player past age 30, a precipice after which players usually decline rapidly. This is a concern for some positions more than others, however, and must account for how much a player has been used to that point. An every-down running back at age 26 might have less tread on his tires than a 28-year-old who has seen limited carries to this point.

Based on the information we have as of Feb. 4 and using my tier system, what follows is a 35,000-foot view of the free-agent landscape based on player performance, positional scarcity and the overall market for certain players. In short, these names are my best available free agents for 2013.

As teams make additional cuts, there likely will be new names added to the mix before March 12. For now, we're working with the players normally scheduled to reach unrestricted free agency. Where applicable, I've indicated any concerns I have due to age, injury or character. They are grouped first by tier, then by position. Appearing higher within a certain tier does not mean a player is more valuable than those below him.

Note:

INJURY CONCERN =

AGE CONCERN =

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tier A: Offense

A Joe Flacco
DOB: 1/16/85 HT: 6-6 WT: 245
POS: QB 2012 TEAM: Baltimore
Att 657 Comp 390 Yds 4,957 TD 33 INT 10 QBR 55.3
Player Analysis I would assume he will be franchised or reach a long-term agreement with the Ravens. He definitely deserves top-tier money, however; he has proved that much. Flacco is streaky, but when he's on, he can win for you. This past postseason has shown exactly that.

A Steven Jackson
DOB: 7/22/83 HT: 6-2 WT: 240
POS: RB 2012 TEAM: St. Louis
Att 257 Yds 1,042 Avg 4.1 Long 22 Fum 0 TD 4
Player Analysis For running backs, seven seasons is about the time when tread runs out on their tires. Jackson has been in the league for nine, but I think he's the best back no one really celebrates. His age and service time are a concern but he's a warrior and a guy you want on your team. If the price is right, a contender could get him for two to three years and feel pretty good about it. I think he could be a Corey Dillon-like find but without the baggage. He's a true blue guy.

A Wes Welker
DOB: 5/1/81 HT: 5-9 WT: 185
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: New England
Rec 134 Yds 1,602 Avg 11.5 Long 59 TD 6
Player Analysis He will be 32 at the start of the 2013 season and is a big age concern. How much money do you want invested in a player who is small, is not very fast and excels in New England's offense but doesn't have a lot of years in front of him? That's the question teams face with Welker. The Patriots didn't sign him long term, which should be an indicator of his value. Will they franchise him at $12 million? I don't know. Will he command more on the open market? I don't know. You can't deny he's a good player. It's his value that remains a question.

A Mike Wallace
DOB: 8/1/86 HT: 6-0 WT: 199
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: Pittsburgh
Rec 64 Yds 836 Avg 13.1 Long 82 TD 8
Player Analysis Wallace is a good route runner, has good instincts and typically has good hands, but he's small and you worry about injury. Inconsistency in the past also is a concern. Pittsburgh didn't reach a deal with him, which will make some teams wary, but this league is always looking for WRs with speed who can take the top off a defense -- and he can do that.

A Martellus Bennett
DOB: 1/10/87 HT: 6-6 WT: 265
POS: TE 2012 TEAM: NY Giants
Rec 55 Yds 626 Avg 11.4 Long 33 TD 5
Player Analysis Bennett is young, but to date he has never really lived up to his potential. He has great speed, above average hands and good size to be a good blocker, but he doesn't play consistently. He's one of those free-agent gambles who might or might not pay off.

A Jared Cook
DOB: 4/7/87 HT: 6-5 WT: 248
POS: TE 2012 TEAM: Tennessee
Rec 44 Yds 523 Avg 11.9 Long 61 TD 4
Player Analysis I think there's a lot of upside for Cook, but he has not played to the level of an A player just yet. Still, I think he'll command some money based on his potential. He is more consistent than Bennett and had a better year in 2013, but I'm always a little skeptical of players who come on in a contract year. There's a chance he could be franchised.

A Greg Jones
DOB: 5/9/81 HT: 6-1 WT: 265
POS: FB 2012 TEAM: Jacksonville
Att 5 Yds 8 Avg 1.6 Long 4 Fum 0 TD 0
Player Analysis Even at age 31, Jones is a good player and adds value because of his toughness and work ethic. If he's affordable, he's a guy I want on my football team. Of course the questions are: Can he pass a physical? And is he affordable? He is one of the few FBs who can carry the ball and do it well.

A Andy Levitre
DOB: 5/15/86 HT: 6-2 WT: 305
POS: G 2012 TEAM: Buffalo
GP 16 GS 16
Player Analysis Levitre is a very solid, professional, strong, offensive guard. While he has the talent, his position might limit the money he'll see.

A Ryan Clady
DOB: 9/6/86 HT: 6-6 WT: 315
POS: T 2012 TEAM: Denver
GP 16 GS 16
Player Analysis His shoulder injury might be a concern, but he has been solid for the Broncos since he was a rookie. Tackles such as Clady command big money, and he will, too … assuming his shoulder is OK.

A Sebastian Vollmer
DOB: 7/10/84 HT: 6-8 WT: 320
POS: T 2012 TEAM: New England
GP 15 GS 15
Player Analysis Pass protection is his strong suit. He has pretty good feet and long arms, and moves well. He has had some injury concerns, but he came to football late in life (relatively speaking), so there might be some latent upside. It would be worth sinking some money into him, assuming he's got a clean bill of health.

A Jermon Bushrod
DOB: 8/19/84 HT: 6-5 WT: 315
POS: T 2012 TEAM: New Orleans
GP 16 GS 16
Player Analysis He's big and powerful, but Bushrod is not a great pass protector and his feet are a concern. His size and length help him some, though. As an all-around guy, he's a fit. A long-term deal should still provide decent value for a team.

A Gosder Cherilus
DOB: 6/28/84 HT: 6-7 WT: 325
POS: T 2012 TEAM: Detroit
GP 16 GS 15
Player Analysis Solid, but nothing spectacular, Cherilus has no glaring deficiencies. Solid tackles are hard to come by, but with lots of linemen in the draft, it might drive down the money for linemen in this free-agent class. GMs know that, and it will be reflected in their offers. I put him with the A's because he's been a reasonably good starter for a time.

A Jake Long
DOB: 5/9/85 HT: 6-7 WT: 319
POS: T 2012 TEAM: Miami
GP 12 GS 12
Player Analysis His reputation will make him an A player, but he is an injury and age concern to me. He is turning only 28 to start next season, but he already has played 74 games, making a long-term deal a risk. He's missed time the past two seasons as well. Someone will pay him, though.

A Branden Albert
DOB: 11/4/84 HT: 6-5 WT: 316
POS: T 2012 TEAM: Kansas City
GP 16 GS 16
Player Analysis He's a high draft choice who has disappointed at tackle for Kansas City. There has been some talk about him moving to guard, which is where I see him fitting best and which will affect the offers he receives. I tend to slot him more as a B player, but certain teams get enamored by size and he's certainly got that (6-foot-5, 316 pounds), so there probably will be a market for him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tier A: Defense

A Henry Melton
DOB: 10/11/86 HT: 6-3 WT: 295
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: Chicago
Tkl 43 Solo 31 Sack 6.0 FF 2
Player Analysis Melton is a converted college FB who became a great 3-technique player in a Dungy Tampa 2 defense. The trouble is, he fits only that defense and that seriously limits his market. That said, if you're going to play that scheme, this position is of critical importance.

A Randy Starks
DOB: 12/14/83 HT: 6-3 WT: 305
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: Miami
Tkl 27 Solo 18 Sack 4.5 FF 0
Player Analysis He's older, but he could be effective as an inside, space-eating 3-4 or power 4-3 kind of tackle. He had a very good year with Miami. This type of player is hard to find, so I imagine he'll have a market.

A Anthony Spencer
DOB: 1/23/84 HT: 6-3 WT: 250
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: Dallas
Tkl 95 Solo 55 Sack 11.0 FF 2
Player Analysis He played OLB in Dallas' 3-4 scheme, but I think he's more of a 4-3 end. He is an outstanding pass-rusher. As I mentioned earlier, I'm normally wary of players having good seasons in contract years, but putting him at OLB doesn't allow him to do what he does best, which is rush upfield. And I see upside for him in a 4-3 scheme.

A Cliff Avril
DOB: 4/8/86 HT: 6-3 WT: 260
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: Detroit
Tkl 35 Solo 28 Sack 9.5 FF 2
Player Analysis Avril is an outside rusher who is not particualrly stout against the run, but pass-rushers are always in demand. I see low-A money in his future, but not right on the mark. He's a talented player and young (27 in 2013 season).

A Dwight Freeney
DOB: 2/19/80 HT: 6-1 WT: 268
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: Indianapolis
Tkl 12 Solo 10 Sack 5.0 FF 1
Player Analysis As you'd imagine I'm rather familiar with him. I see Freeney as a fit in a Wide-9 scheme or as a 4-3 DE. I believe he still has a lot of talent, but age is definitely a concern.

A Michael Johnson
DOB: 2/7/87 HT: 6-7 WT: 270
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: Cincinnati
Tkl 54 Solo 36 Sack 11.5 FF 0
Player AnalysisGreat size and production (11.5 sacks) make him an ideal target for teams in the market for a pass-rusher.

A Paul Kruger
DOB: 2/15/86 HT: 6-4 WT: 270
POS: LB 2012 TEAM: Baltimore
Tkl 56 Solo 39 Sack 13.5 FF 2
Player Analysis An outside pass-rusher, Kruger can play OLB or DE. He is coming off his rookie contract and really came into his own this season. He's become a very efficient pass-rusher, and there is a market for a player like that.

A Ray Maualuga
DOB: 1/20/87 HT: 6-1 WT: 268 POS: LB 2012
TEAM: Cincinnati Tkl 122 Solo 62 Sack 1.0 FF 0
Player AnalysisHe's had off-field issues, although none recently. I think free agency will really benefit him because he's more of a B player, but he is a starter in Cincy and could be a solid starter elsewhere. There aren't a lot of interior LBs on the market, so I think he'll command A money.

A Brent Grimes
DOB: 7/19/83 HT: 5-10 WT: 183
POS: CB 2012 TEAM: Atlanta
Tkl 6 Solo 6 Sack 0 FF 0 INT 0
Player Analysis Solid young player, but injury concern (Achilles) might reduce his value. He's a starting-caliber corner if he answers his health question.

A Cary Williams
DOB: 12/23/84 HT: 6-1 WT: 190
POS: CB 2012 TEAM: Baltimore
Tkl 102 Solo 88 Sack 1.0 FF 0 INT 6
Player Analysis Williams is a very good man-to-man corner who stepped in for Lardarius Webb and outpaced expectations with the Ravens. He's probably low A, but because of his good year, I think he'll be able to cash in and get A-level money.

A William Moore
DOB: 5/18/85 HT: 6-0 WT: 221 POS: S
2012 TEAM: Atlanta Tkl 86 Solo 63 Sack 1.0 FF 2 INT 4
Player Analysis Moore is not a spectacular player, but he could start for most teams in the league. He's a good all-around type, solid in all phases of the game.

A Jairus Byrd
DOB: 10/7/86HT: 5-10WT: 203POS: S2012 TEAM: BuffaloTkl 76Solo 53Sack 0FF 4INT 5Player AnalysisTimed speed is a question mark, but instincts, toughness and production are not.

A Louis Delmas
DOB: 4/12/87 HT: 5-11 WT: 202
POS: S 2012 TEAM: Detroit
Tkl 38 Solo 28 Sack 0 FF 0 INT 1
Player Analysis Delmas has good range and good instincts, and is very tough. He battled a knee injury all season, but I see him as a very interesting safety. His position might not command a big-money deal, however.

A Ed Reed
DOB: 9/11/78 HT: 5-11 WT: 205
POS: S 2012 TEAM: Baltimore
Tkl 73 Solo 53 Sack 0 FF 0 INT 5
Player Analysis For years, Reed has been the best safety in the NFL, unconventional as he might be. His instincts are unparalleled, but age is a concern at this stage of the game, and I'm not sure whether there's a long-term deal out there for him. He probably will go back to Baltimore, but I've seen some rumors mention New England. That's a possibility. He is on the down side of his career but still is a great player and a Hall of Famer. Could he have value as a tutor for younger players? Sure, but no one plays the position like Reed does. He's one of the smartest and most unconventional safeties I've seen, and I don't think anyone could emulate him.

A LaRon Landry
DOB: 10/14/84 HT: 6-0 WT: 220
POS: S 2012 TEAM: NY Jets
Tkl 99 Solo 75 Sack 0 FF 4 INT 2
Player Analysis Landry had a good year for a bad team. He's a striker, a big hitter. While he is a little older, he's still a pretty serviceable player. We're closer to B territory now, but for a team looking for a safety, he could do a good job.

A Glover Quin
DOB: 1/15/86 HT: 6-0 WT: 207
POS: S 2012 TEAM: Houston
Tkl 84 Solo 64 Sack 1.0 FF 2 INT 2
Player Analysis Just an athletic, tough safety. If you want a safety to play man, cover ground, and go up and play in the nickel on the line of scrimmage, this is a guy who does all of that well. I think he has more value to Houston than to another team, so I think the Texans will do what they can to sign him. Within the role he plays, he's very good.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tier A: Special Teams

A Dustin Colquitt
DOB: 5/6/82 HT: 6-3 WT: 210
POS: P 2012 TEAM: Kansas City
Punts 83 Avg 46.8 Long 71 TB 7 In20 45
Player Analysis If you're in the market for a punter, there are good ones on the market. People don't really chase punters, but Colquitt is one who can flip the field, and that bears mentioning.

A Shane Lechler
DOB: 8/7/76 HT: 6-2 WT: 230
POS: P 2012 TEAM: Oakland
Punts 81 Avg 47.2 Long 68 TB 9 In20 21
Player Analysis Lechler is an incredibly gifted punter. He can flip the field seemingly whenever he wants and manipulate the ball to his bidding. I'd rank him slightly ahead of Colquitt, but both are talented. How much do you want to pay for a punter? That will depend on the team. But he's a weapon.

A Pat McAfee
DOB: 5/2/87 HT: 6-1 WT: 220
POS: P 2012 TEAM: Indianapolis
Punts 73 Avg 48.2 Long 64 TB 8 In20 26
Player Analysis He is a B as a punter, but he also is a good kickoff guy and can be a kicker, so there's value in that versatility as you manage a limited roster. Indianapolis might pay him if the Colts believe he can replace Adam Vinatieri eventually. He's not the punter Lechler or Colquitt is, but just a notch below. He has become better directionally than in the past.

Tier B: Offense (notables)

As I mentioned above, the B players are guys worth pursuing only if you can get them at a good value. A lot of these players might surprise you because there are some big names in this group. For those, I've detailed some of the reasons keeping them out of A territory. I've also provided some detail on players I think could be particularly appealing in this tier. The remainder are grouped into the chart below.

B Derek Anderson
DOB: 6/15/83 HT: 6-6 WT: 230
POS: QB 2012 TEAM: Carolina
Att 4 Comp 4 Yds 58 TD 0 INT 0 QBR 91.6
Player AnalysisTeams without a quarterback probably will consider him. He has proved to be relatively reliable over the course of his career. As a backup he's ideal, but if the price is right, you ought to think about him as a starter.

B Drew Stanton
DOB: 5/7/84 HT: 6-3 WT: 243
POS: QB 2012 TEAM: Indianapolis
Att 0 Comp 0 Yds 0 TD 0 INT 0 QBR N/A
Player Analysis Stanton certainly warrants consideration as a backup and might even have starting ability, but he does not have the body of work Anderson does. He's an interesting prospect.

B Felix Jones
DOB: 5/8/87 HT: 5-10 WT: 215
POS: RB 2012 TEAM: Dallas
Att 111 Yds 402 Avg 3.6 Long 22 Fum 1 TD 3
Player Analysis You'll recognize the name, but 2012 was just the second time in his five-year career he's played 16 games.

B Javon Ringer
DOB: 2/2/87 HT: 5-9 WT: 213
POS: RB 2012 TEAM: Tennessee
Att 2 Yds 14 Avg 7.0 Long 9 Fum 0 TD 0
Player Analysis Ringer is a good short-yardage and goal-line runner. He's coming off a serious knee injury, which worries me, but he's a solid player. I see him as a No. 2 back in a San Francisco-style attack. In Indianapolis, we needed and wanted someone like him.

B Reggie Bush
DOB: 3/2/85 HT: 6-0 WT: 203
POS: RB 2012 TEAM: Miami
Att 227 Yds 986 Avg 4.3 Long 65 Fum 4 TD 6
Player Analysis He's a name, but at this stage in his career, he's a third-down guy.

B Dwayne Bowe
DOB: 9/21/84 HT: 6-2 WT: 221
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: Kansas City
Rec 59 Yds 801 Avg 13.6 Long 47 TD 3
Player Analysis Bowe is certain to be one of the names all the gurus will be talking about, but he has inconsistent hands. The QB situation in Kansas City doesn't affect him that much; you have to catch the ball when it's thrown to you. Bowe will intrigue some people, and others will shy away.

B Danny Amendola
DOB: 11/2/85 HT: 5-11 WT: 188
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: St. Louis
Rec 63 Yds 666 Avg 10.6 Long 56 TD 3
Player Analysis He's coming off injury, but I see him as a younger Wes Welker. He's a good possession receiver.

B Austin Collie
DOB: 11/11/85 HT: 6-0 WT: 204
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: Indianapolis
Rec 1 Yds 6 Avg 6.0 Long 6 TD 0
Player Analysis Injuries are the concern, particularly the concussions. That will be reflected in the amount of money he gets. If you're willing to gamble a little on the health questions and he can put it behind him, Collie is a very solid slot receiver -- smart, tough and resourceful.

B Josh Cribbs
DOB: 6/9/83 HT: 6-1 WT: 215
POS: WR 2012 TEAM: Cleveland
Rec 7 Yds 63 Avg 9.0 Long 24 TD 0
Player Analysis At this stage, Cribbs is a return man only, and his age will drive the price and longevity of term down.

B Anthony Fasano
DOB: 4/20/84 HT: 6-4 WT: 255
POS: TE 2012 TEAM: Miami
Rec 41 Yds 332 Avg 8.1 Long 22 TD 5
Player Analysis Receiving and speed aren't his strong suits, but he can block. As a solid, all-around guy, he'll get the job done.

B Delanie Walker
DOB: 8/12/84 HT: 6-0 WT: 242
POS: TE 2012 TEAM: San Fran
Rec 26 Yds 429 Avg 16.5 Long 45 TD 3
Player Analysis He's a valuable role player. He can catch the ball, block, even play a little fullback. At the right price, he's a good addition to a contending team. He's reliable.

B Gary Barnidge
DOB: 9/22/85 HT: 6-5 WT: 250
POS: TE 2012 TEAM: Carolina
Rec 6 Yds 78 Avg 13.0 Long 24 TD 1
Player Analysis Built with a long body, he catches pretty well and has been pretty reliable. He won't be a big-money guy, but he'll probably be a pretty good addition to a team.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tier B: Defense (notables)

B Kevin Vickerson
DOB: 1/8/83 HT: 6-5 WT: 290
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: Denver
Tkl 40 Solo 28 Sack 2.0 FF 1
Player Analysis Age is a concern, but he plays awfully well. Defensive tackles tend to play a little longer than most positions, though, so the risk isn't as big as with other positions.

B Terrance Knighton
DOB: 7/4/86 HT: 6-3 WT: 330
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: Jacksonville
Tkl 32 Solo 20 Sack 2.0 FF 2
Player AnalysisHis lack of consistent effort and conditioning is a concern.

B Sen'Derrick Marks
DOB: 2/23/87 HT: 6-2 WT: 294
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: Tennessee
Tkl 41 Solo 30 Sack 2.0 FF 1
Player Analysis An interior pass-rusher and pretty good at it, Marks will be sought after. He has gotten better against the run over the years as well. For teams with a need at defensive tackle, he fits the bill.

B Ricky Jean Francois
DOB: 6/23/87 HT: 6-3 WT: 295
POS: DT 2012 TEAM: San Fran
Tkl 24 Solo 13 Sack 2.0 FF 0
Player Analysis Another player I've seen improve year over year, he can play all three 3-4 defensive line positions, although he probably is better suited to play a 3-4 end. A solid player, he is young and has shown he can develop.

B Glenn Dorsey
DOB: 8/1/85 HT: 6-1 WT: 297
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: Kansas City
Tkl 7 Solo 4 Sack 0 FF 0
Player Analysis Dorsey has never played to the level of his draft position, but his big name will command attention.

B Mike DeVito
DOB: 6/10/84 HT: 6-3 WT: 305
POS: DE 2012 TEAM: NY Jets
Tkl 52 Solo 27 Sack 1.0 FF 2
Player Analysis He's a hard-playing run-defender, and teams that play the 3-4 will take a look at him as a valuable role player.

B Justin Durant
DOB: 9/20/85 HT: 6-1 WT: 240
POS: LB 2012 TEAM: Detroit
Tkl 103 Solo 82 Sack 0.5 FF 0
Player Analysis Durant is still young, with upside. Depending on the value of the deal, he could make for a good pickup. Some might see him as an A.

B Philip Wheeler
DOB: 12/12/84 HT: 6-2 WT: 240
POS: LB 2012 TEAM: Oakland
Tkl 109 Solo 78 Sack 3.0 FF 2
Player AnalysisWheeler had a good year in Oakland in 2012. His best position is SAM LB, which is not a big-demand position. But he can run, hit and blitz. He's gotten better every year.

B Erik Walden
DOB: 12/12/84 HT: 6-2 WT: 240
POS: LB 2012 TEAM: Green Bay
Tkl 46 Solo 27 Sack 3.0 FF 0
Player Analysis He's an up-and-coming guy. He flies around the field and is tough. He's well suited to the 3-4, young and with upside. I don't see a big market, but nonetheless he's an asset.

B Captain Munnerlyn
DOB: 4/10/88 HT: 5-8 WT: 190
POS: CB 2012 TEAM: Carolina
Tkl 61 Solo 48 Sack 0 FF 0 INT 2
Player Analysis He's a fit as a nickel CB who has good skills and insticnts. He can also contribute in the return game.

B Patrick Chung
DOB: 8/19/87 HT: 5-11 WT: 210
POS: S 2012 TEAM: New England
Tkl 44 Solo 29 Sack 0 FF 0 INT 2
Player Analysis He has a big name and talent, but he's an injury concern.

Tier B: Special Teams

B Rob Bironas
DOB: 1/29/78 HT: 6-0 WT: 210
POS: K 2012 TEAM: Tennessee
FGM 25 FGA 31 LNG 53 XPM 35 XPA 35
Player Analysis Bironis is old but still a good kicker.

B Lawrence Tynes
DOB: 5/3/78 HT: 6-1 WT: 194
POS: K 2012 TEAM: NY Giants
FGM 33 FGA 39 LNG 50 XPM 46 XPA 46
Player Analysis He gets points for handling the winds of the Meadowlands and for his experience in clutch situations.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More buzz on Chiefs' top pick
February, 5, 2013 4:14PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The NFL Draft is always an exciting offseason occurrence, and the league has done a fine job in creating even more buzz in recent seasons by extending it to be a three-day event. Typically, there is a great deal of anticipation over the first pick in the draft, whether it's going to be a franchise QB (as has been the case the past four years, with Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford), or a game-changing player at another position (OT Jake Long and DE Mario Williams are some non-QB examples in recent drafts).

This year, the Kansas City Chiefs have the No. 1 overall selection, and according to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star, it's the first time in franchise history. The Chiefs need a franchise QB, but some believe that the top prospects available at the position aren't a good value with that pick. Luckily -- or unluckily, as the case may be -- the club has other needs as well, on both sides of the ball.

Teicher provided a list of 10 prospects that could be under consideration for K.C. at No. 1, a list that included QBs Tyler Wilson and Geno Smith, WRs Cordarrelle Patterson and DeAndre Hopkins (though these two are more likely after a trade-down), OL Luke Joeckel and Chance Warmack, DT Star Lotulelei, OLBs Jarvis Jones and Damontre Moore, and CB Dee Milliner.

There's a lot left to be determined before opening night of the draft, and the Chiefs may find solutions at certain vacancies prior to making their first pick of the Andy Reid era. But it's clearly a wide-open selection at this point, something that we haven't experienced in quite a while.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You got to love the offseason air boys! Here's where we win games; most the regulars on this site don't understand why this thread gains so much traffic, but with this being the most open-minded thread there is many opinions get tossed in here and are given feedback (Good and Bad).

We're like the Pharaohs of the ancient world. We understand the moon(coaches) and stars(rosters) are correlated to the rising of the Nile (49ers), while the peasants (Toby) just sit and wait for a plentiful harvest(season).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta get my mind off the SB, so I'm gonna do a (very early) mock for the 49ers. These are the guys I'm looking at right now that are within reasonable reach. Also I don't want to come out of this draft with 13-14 picks, obviously. I'd no more than 6, maybe 7 players. In this scenario I traded a 3rd and a 4th for a 2nd. Again, this is really, really early and it's likely to change, but these are the guys I like right about now:

1. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
2. Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
2. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
3. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
4. Dion Sims, TE, Michigan St.
5/6. David Quessenberry, OT, San Jose St.

The only two that I might trade UP for in the first round at this point because they won't go "too high" are Sheldon Richardson and Barkevious Mingo depending on what we'd have to give up. Other options in the first I really like are Hopkins, Austin, and Poyer.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta get my mind off the SB, so I'm gonna do a (very early) mock for the 49ers. These are the guys I'm looking at right now that are within reasonable reach. Also I don't want to come out of this draft with 13-14 picks, obviously. I'd no more than 6, maybe 7 players. In this scenario I traded a 3rd and a 4th for a 2nd. Again, this is really, really early and it's likely to change, but these are the guys I like right about now:

3. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
4. Dion Sims, TE, Michigan St.
5/6. David Quessenberry, OT, San Jose St.

The only two that I might trade UP for in the first round at this point because they won't go "too high" are Sheldon Richardson and Barkevious Mingo depending on what we'd have to give up. Other options in the first I really like are Hopkins, Austin, and Poyer.

:2cents:

I like him, but I think it would be way too early to address that particular position in the draft. I think he definitely fits what we want to do on offense, and Harbaugh and a lot of his staff know him very well. That alone worries teams and would overdraft him to prevent him from landing to us at pick #62. Honestly, I want to wait until 2014 to get Gore's true replacement. I honestly believe that Gore has 2 more good years left him. At a level he played this year. He is so good I don't see how Gore would regress from his level of play this year to next year; which is why I sincerely believe he has two more good years left in him as him being our premiere back. In that note, I don't want his eventual replacement to remain stuck on our depth chart all the way thru 2014. Similar to Bryce Brown of the Eagles, I see a player in 2014 that has me drooling already because of his skills set as a runner; and I think he would work wonders for us in this offense. With our 1st second round pick, we could target another position of need. I have strong belief in Hunter and at this time I don't want to infringed on his opportunities (total # of touches) by bringing in Steph Taylor. In regards to your mock, I like it but I would rather get a talented NT at that spot to team up with Jones. We need to win the battle of trenches on a more consistent / dominating manner which would then allow our elite LB corp to abuse opposing teams. :2cents:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Call it Pac 12 homerism if you want, but I'm all for those first 3 picks. I would think they'd need to snag Trufant before Taylor.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player that jumps out to me the most is Cordarelle Patterson. He spent one year at Tennessee after a couple years in junior college. If there is one receiver capable of breaking in to the top 10, it is Patterson. He possesses top tier physical ability across the board. He is a strong, well developed 6’3/208 pounder that shows the speed/acceleration/agility that no other receiver has in this class. Tough as nails over the middle and with the ball in his hand. He can run by anybody, shake out of tackles, and lower his shoulder to push the pile. Complete package after the catch. Patterson showed flashes of top-tier route running. The ability is there.
<>At first glance, I was under the impression that Patterson took plays off and seemed rather lackadaisical at times. That could very well be the case, but I believe he may have been overused for the Volunteers. He was used on kick returns and in the rushing game in addition to a lot of motion before the snap, fake reverses, and deep passing routes. His speed and gamebreaking ability was the center of attention of most opposing defenses. Tennessee was very aware of that and sent him all over the field in an effort to divert defenders on plays where he was not given the ball. Patterson is a high effort player though. He tries hard and rarely leaves a yard out on the field.

I look at teams in the top 10, and I notice a few that need a Patterson type on their offense. He plays a game similar to Percy Harvin but has more size and more agility. That is a scary combination if he is put in to the right scheme. Teams like the Jaguars (#2), Bills (#8), and Jets (#9) are all starving for playmakers. Patterson may not be a media-darling right now, but turn the tape on and watch how big of an impact he can have.

Great Blue North Draft Report