• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. San Francisco will be busy – The 49ers are at No. 31 overall, have 13 draft picks, including two selections each in Rounds 2-5. It's believed by at least one GM that the Niners are interested in moving up to the 13th or 14th overall pick. There is no way that the 49ers can keep more than five or six new draft picks with the way the team is structured right now. Expect GM Trent Baalke to either trade up or trade out for picks in the future. The talk around the league is that the 49ers would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith. The team also needs a safety, No. 2 tight end and could use an impact corner. All of that is possible.

Y! SPORTS

If they are seriously interested in jumping up that high than Tavon Austin is the only player that I can think of that they would be interested in grabbing in that spot.

DL doesn't make sense to me since all that top DL prospects are usually off the board at that point and there is plenty of value there at 31 and the same could be said about Safety.

CB maybe but I don't see anyone standout enough to give up the picks to trade up for.

Only player I can think of would be Tavon Austin since that's right about the range he'll go in and probably wouldn't make it past the Rams at #16.

I hope no trade up to 14. I have really fell in love with Jesse Williams as our 1st round pick, to eventually replace Smith. His strength and style of play, accompanied with his lack of experience will be perfect to be mentored under "Cowboy".

We could get him at 31, plus Alex Okafor at 34, play Culliver at fs, then trade our next 2nd and 3rd round pick for a 1 next season. We could grab a ss like TJ McDonald in the 3rd to take over for Whitner (eventually), draft Ace Sanders in the 4th, put together a package all the other picks that we are able to trade, fill in all the comps with the best special teamers available, also take a risk or two on players like Lawrence Okoye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qbMEu96hcE

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ouch. Hate to be so disagreeable, but I think 2 of those picks would be big time reaches.

Jesse Williams at 31? I'm thinking more like the 60's. And he's more of a NT than DE IMO; and I don't even think he's that great of a NT prospect. I see him as a Sopoaga type.

I wouldn't spend a 4th on Ace Sanders either. More like a 6th.

I'd hesitate to draft TJ McDonald in the 3rd too. He has some athletic ability, but I never liked him much as a prospect. He could develop into a good SS, but if we're talking DBs in the 3rd I'd much rather draft David Amerson.

Okafor could sneak into the high 2nd or even 1st round. He's not an amazing prospect, but he can rush the passer.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch. Hate to be so disagreeable, but I think 2 of those picks would be big time reaches.

Jesse Williams at 31? I'm thinking more like the 60's. And he's more of a NT than DE IMO; and I don't even think he's that great of a NT prospect. I see him as a Sopoaga type.

I wouldn't spend a 4th on Ace Sanders either. More like a 6th.

I'd hesitate to draft TJ McDonald in the 3rd too. He has some athletic ability, but I never liked him much as a prospect. He could develop into a good SS, but if we're talking DBs in the 3rd I'd much rather draft David Amerson.

Okafor could sneak into the high 2nd or even 1st round. He's not an amazing prospect, but he can rush the passer.

Jesse Williams was a 3-4 de until last season. He may be one of the best run stoppers in the draft, also one of the best edge setters. I love him as an option to be groomed by Smith.

Ace Sanders has a 3rd round grade by at least one team, it's obviously not just me.

NFL Draft Headlines | Brugler: One team has a third rd grade on Ace - Rotoworld.com

Ultimate Ace Sanders Highlights - YouTube

Plus 0 drops on the season in the pass game.

I doubt Amerson would be there in the 3rd, even then, I wouldn't draft him at ss. Remember, this is based on Cully playing fs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jesse Williams was a 3-4 de until last season. He may be one of the best run stoppers in the draft, also one of the best edge setters. I love him as an option to be groomed by Smith.

Ace Sanders has a 3rd round grade by at least one team, it's obviously not just me.

NFL Draft Headlines | Brugler: One team has a third rd grade on Ace - Rotoworld.com

Ultimate Ace Sanders Highlights - YouTube

Plus 0 drops on the season in the pass game.

I doubt Amerson would be there in the 3rd, even then, I wouldn't draft him at ss. Remember, this is based on Cully playing fs.

I know Jesse Williams was a DE until last season. That doesn't mean his best position in the NFL is DE.

I would be shocked if that Sanders report proves true. Teams know he won't do much of anything at WR, and the 3rd round is pretty high for a return man like him. Even Trindon Holliday was a 6th round pick, and he was a FAR superiour KR prospect.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of Rotoworld, here's an article saying the Niners are rumoured to want to trade up into thee top 15 & mentions Tavon Austin (bleh!) and Ezekiel Anzah :) as targets. Anzah is the best defensive player in the entire draft IMO.

Ezekiel Ansah - College Player - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The front 7 would be crazy good with Anzah. I'd just hate to waste him at DE when he could be an all-pro' at OLB. He could be a great DE too, but I'd hate to waste that much burst & speed at DE.

Then there's the fact that he's 23 (cough! 33 cough...) sorry - 33 - had something in my 33.

He's listed as "23" years old.

ezekielanzah.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Speaking of Rotoworld, here's an article saying the Niners are rumoured to want to trade up into thee top 15 & mentions Tavon Austin (bleh!) and Ezekiel Anzah :) as targets. Anzah is the best defensive player in the entire draft IMO.

Ezekiel Ansah - College Player - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The front 7 would be crazy good with Anzah. I'd just hate to waste him at DE when he could be an all-pro' at OLB. He could be a great DE too, but I'd hate to waste that much burst & speed at DE.

Then there's the fact that he's 23 (cough! 33 cough...) sorry - 33 - had something in my 33.

He's listed as "23" years old.

ezekielanzah.png

That has to be one of the oldest looking 23 year olds I've ever seen.

Anzah I believe will be off the board and the 9ers brain trust probably feels that way as well.

The other name I've heard is Sheldon Richardson which makes some sense since there is a chance he'll be on the board at that range but not long on the board after that.

Not advocating they go in the direction but my gut feeling is if they are looking to trade up into that range it would be for Tavon Austin.

Because to me if you're going to spend what it would cost to jump from 31 to 13ish range it's got to be for a player you feel has a special talent and could have a pretty immediate impact.

Which is why I have my doubts it's for DL since the physical studs at DL are usually off the board at that point and in this draft especially there probably isn't a massive difference at what's going to be on the board at 13 compared to 31.

Austin makes sense because if you're sold on his playmaking skills than it's simply not something you can find later on and develop like a DL. It's usually one of those you have it or you don't things. And the 13ish range is about exactly right where he's going to be targeted at teams.

But this all might be a smokescreen by some team trying to spook another team into a trade. If I'm the Jets I'm definitely looking to sell the 13th pick so why not be that "One GM that thinks" and hope a team looking at Austin or Richardson team bites because the big bad 9ers might swoop in in take them.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Glennon - QB - Wolfpack

SI's Peter King writes a few teams love NC State QB Mike Glennon.
King could see Glennon has a late second-round pick and calls him "an acquired taste." The Wolfpack quarterback could do well in a team that runs an offense featuring three and five step drops, quick reads, with a faster tempo, since the longer Glennon holds the ball the more fans will get worried.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Apr 22 - 11:18 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharrif Floyd - DL - Gators

One NFL scout told Packers beat writer Bob McGinn that the "idiots on TV made" Florida DT Sharrif Floyd.

"He's not that good," the scout added. "He's not better than Ziggy Hood. Floyd's not a real bulky guy but he can run." Falcons general manager disagreed "He's quick, agile and plays with good leverage. He's a combination of almost all you're looking for at the position. He's an aggressive, disruptive, play-making tackle."
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Apr 22 - 12:19 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is for Sick:

D.J. Hayden - DB - Cougars

SI's Peter King believes Houston CB D.J. Hayden might be the consensus top CB in this draft among teams.

Hayden ranks as the top corner on Greg Cosell and Mike Mayock's rankings, but everyone else seems to prefer other corners such as Dee Milliner, Xavier Rhodes, and Desmond Trufant. Our own Josh Norris ranks Hayden as the second best senior corner behind Boise State's Jamar Taylor. Expect the Houston corner to be a top 30 pick.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Apr 22 - 10:28 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ezekiel Ansah - DL - Cougars

ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes BYU DL Ezekiel Ansah could be the Lions pick at No. 5 if Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher aren't on the board.

The Lions' staff coached Ansah during the Senior Bowl, and despite a great performance in the game, head coach Jim Schwartz likened the pass rusher's practices to Allen Iverson. The attitude is different, but Ansah is a bit of an unknown commodity but could shine from the wide alignment.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Apr 21 - 5:27 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alec Ogletree - LB - Bulldogs

After talking with NFL sources, Fox Sports' Peter Schrager is "convinced" Georgia OLB Alec Ogletree will be a top 10 pick.

Wow. Ogletree has intriguing length and speed, which will come in handy in coverage, but he frequently shies from contact between the tackles. Ogletree puts together a great highlight reel and can viciously tackle on the edge, but too often he plays with his hands by his side and struggles to work through blocks. He is only a weakside linebacker in our estimation.
Source: Peter Schrager on Twitter

Apr 22 - 11:09 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barkley - QB - Player

An AFC coach who has "studied (him) extensively" believes USC QB Matt Barkley "has a personality that is going to take him a long way."

Yahoo's Mike Silver also reports a "high-level executive for one quarterback-needy franchise" was so underwhelmed by Barkley's arm strength at his Pro Day that he left early. Barkley is going to draw plaudits for leadership and intangibles, but it's his arm that's going to make-or-break his first-round status.
Source: Yahoo Sports

Apr 22 - 12:02 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manti Te'o - LB - Fighting Irish

Former NFL scout believes the Ravens would be "elated" to have Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o available at pick No. 32.

"There just aren't 32 better football players in this draft class who would push Te'o out of the first round," Jeremiah writes. "I believe the Baltimore Ravens would be elated if he fell to them at No. 32, but I don't see him falling that far down the board." The Vikings seem like a logical fit with one of their first-round picks.
Source: NFL.com

Apr 22 - 2:03 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Hunter - WR - Volunteers

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Tennessee WR Justin Hunter will be a first-round pick.

"I'm not extremely high on this Tennessee wideout, but apparently several teams feel differently," Jeremiah writes. "He's created a lot of buzz over the last week and numerous teams have told me that he is a lock to go on Thursday night." Hunter and the Vikings seem like a good match.

Apr 22 - 1:52 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Bray - QB - Volunteers

Steelers beat writer Gerry Dulac notes the team believes Tennessee QB Tyler Bray "is the most-talented quarterback in the draft."

Dulac adds other teams feel the same. "Because of his maturity level and need for development, Bray could go anywhere from the second to fourth round in the draft," he writes. "But nobody questions his skills or ability to make any throw on the field." The Vol quarterback does not have the same mobility as Ben Roethlisberger, which could drastically change the effectiveness of the Steelers' offense.
Source: The Post Gazette

Apr 22 - 1:05 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharrif Floyd - DL - Player

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top-ten picks if Oakland doesn't take him at No. 3.

We've been getting the same vibe; and don't believe the Raiders will take him at 3. The teams picking at Nos. 4-9 either "don't fit Floyd scheme-wise," per Jeremiah, "or they are set" at defensive tackle. We wouldn't be shocked if Floyd fell all the way to the Panthers at No. 14. He only appeals to 4-3 defenses.

Apr 22 - 2:03 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tank Carradine - DL - Player

According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Saints "seem quite intrigued" by Florida State DE/OLB Tank Carradine at the No. 15 pick.

Carradine was a 4-3 right end at FSU, but plenty of teams are intrigued by his fit as a 3-4 outside 'backer. He runs well at 6-foot-4, 273 and is bendy and extremely active. We suspect the Saints would draft Georgia's Jarvis Jones ahead of him, but Carradine is a better athlete and arguably offers more upside.
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Apr 22 - 1:11 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Margus Hunt - DL - Player

CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco provides four names to "watch" for the 49ers' No. 31 pick if they stay put: SMU DE Margus Hunt, Florida State DE/OLB Tank Carradine, FIU S Jon Cyprien, and Stanford TE Zach Ertz.

The 49ers are also believed to be interested in trading up, perhaps for Carradine. We expect Carradine and Cyprien to both be long gone by the 31st pick. San Francisco wants an eventual replacement for Justin Smith, and 6-foot-8, 277-pound Hunt could be a candidate to plug that hole. Ertz would probably be a fallback option. Buzz has died on him and he projects as a day-two pick.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Apr 22 - 1:08 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with him 100% based on what I saw from USC playcalling. However, I would have much preferred him stay quiet about this. NFL coaches know this deal, him speaking on it is a lame way of making excuses for your shortfalls. I still like him though a lot:

Matt Barkley - QB - Trojans

USC QB Matt Barkley said the team's play-calling was "predictive" last season.

"Kiff kind of suited the play-calling toward Marqise," Barkley said. "It was rough at times, because defenses kinda knew what was coming. It was sort of predictive. Robert Woods is a great player. … You want to be respectful of your coaches, because they are your elders, but when it falls on your shoulders, you probably should get involved." Barkley also said he would have had a more forceful, leader-type voice.
Source: Yahoo! Sports

Apr 22 - 3:52 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This sucks:

Robert Alford - DB - Lions

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah writes SE Louisiana CB Robert Alford could surprisingly go in the first-round.

Jeremiah also listed Mississippi State cornerback Darius Slay as a possible surprise first-round selection, too. It's a curious proposition but apparently teams have been heating up on Alford's ability. It should be noted that his former defensive coordinator said he is a "long way away mentally" as a player, though.

Apr 22 - 3:26 PM