• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Margus Hunt - DL - Mustangs

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah has heard a lot of buzz about teams targeting SMU DL Margus Hunt at the top of the second-round.

This could mean a team selects Hunt at the end of the first-round. The former track and field athlete is raw and older than his peers, which could be viewed as a poor combination. It was tough to evaluate his flexibility and athleticism during 2012 due to an injured back, but Hunt put forth great workouts and highlight special teams plays.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Apr 17 - 11:38 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Christine Michael - RB - Aggies

Six RBs could be selected during the draft's second-round, according to Draft insider Tony Pauline.

Pauline suggests these names: Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin, Giovani Bernard and Montee Ball, along with Mike Gillislee "and either Christine Michael or Le’Veon Bell." It is interesting that Andre Ellington's name is not listed among this group. We wouldn't be surprised to see Franklin and Michael be taken near the top of this crop.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Apr 17 - 12:56 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Fisher - T - Chippewas

ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted the top three OTs will be selected within the top seven picks, and possibly sooner.

This is not surprising, and even though no such thing as a "can't miss" prospects, these tackles are likely viewed as more proven commodities compared to others. The likeliest landing spots include the Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Lions, and Cardinals, with the Jaguars likely to show interest as well. Teams trading into the top 5 is also a realistic option.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 17 - 1:41 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Landry Jones - QB - Sooners

ESPN's Ron Jaworski ranks Landry Jones as this class' No. 4 QB.

Jones has "grown on me the more I watched," Jaworski said. "Maybe the prettiest thrower coming out of this collegiate group." When the Sooner is in rhythm, he can make some nice throws downfield, however, once things start to break down Jones' game goes off the rails. Regardless, he could be a third-round pick.
Source: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 17 - 2:26 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Bray - QB - Volunteers

NFL Films' Greg Cosell mentioned he has been told that Tennessee QB Tyler Bray's arm weakened as the 2012 season progressed.

The issue is notable, but Bray has added a considerable amount of mass to his frame during the process. Many consider bray's "arm talent" to be the best in this draft, however those same evaluators seem to question his willingness to refine his game. We wouldn't be surprised to see Bray selected on the second day.
Source: Philadelphia Eagles

Apr 17 - 3:47 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manti Te'o - LB - Fighting Irish

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that "at least half the teams" have a first-round grade on Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o.

"At least half the teams in this league have solid first-round grades on Te’o," Mortensen said. "I have heard ‘undersized’ a bit. (But) most teams do see that he’s going to go somewhere in the first round." Mortensen added that Te'o "aced" team interviews.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Apr 17 - 6:01 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, its a good philosophy, but is it practical? ie how well can any team execute this philosophy?

he uses 'Talent' as the main factor, so say it is BPA rounds 1 to 3. so from rounds 4 and onward he address' Need for the future. sounds good except now you're expecting mid and late round picks to fill future Needs?

again, agree it is good thinking, but how practical is it?

Does he? That part of the article wasn't in quotes. Not saying he doesn't put talent above all else, but his three drafts to date have certainly looked to need early on.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I feel guilty even posting something written by SI, but even a writer as lame as Don Banks might have some contacts in the NFL. I'll just type it out so he doesn't get more clicks on the link. His latest mock goes:

1. Chiefs - Eric Fisher
2. Jags - Dion Jordan
3. Raiders - Floyd
4. Iggles - Star
5. Dertoit - Joekel
6. Bolts - You're so Lane you probably think this song is about you (Johnson).
7. Cards - Warmack
8. Can you pay my Bills - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.
9. J-E-T-S - Milliner
10. Titans - Ansah <----- This is crazy having him go 10th to the Titans
11. Flush-it-downs - Geno Smith goes to the Browns & guarantees he's a bust
12. Fish - Rhodes
13. Jets - Mingo
14. Cats - Richardson <--- for some reason he's been going to the Panthers in every mock ever done.
15. Whiney bitches - Jarvis Jones
16. Rams - Tavon Austin (I would love that pick)
17. Steelers - Werner
18. Cowboys - Sylvester Williams
19. VaGiants - Tank Carradine :(
20. Da Bearsssss - Tyler Eifert :(
21. Bengals - Ogletree
22. Rams - Vaccaro (I would LOVE that pick)
23. Vikes - Desmond Trufant
24. Colts - DJ Fluker (that would be another great pick for the Colts)
25. Vikes - Teo
26. Packers - Menelik Watson
27. Texans - Allen
28. Broncos - Datone Jones
29. Pats - DJ Hayden
30. Atlanta - Jamar Taylor
31. SB 48 Champions - Patterson
32. Ravens - Cyprien

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ace Sanders - WR - Gamecocks

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler knows one team who has a third-round grade on South Carolina WR Ace Sanders.

Sanders does his best work in space, using short area quickness to evade oncoming tacklers and make people miss. He isn't Tavon Austin, possibly due to the lack of straight-line speed, but a team could target Sanders a few rounds later if they miss out on the shifty slot receiver from West Virginia.
Source: On The Couch Podcast

Apr 18 - 9:09 AM

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thought of the Niners Picking Patterson in the first made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Just no.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luke Joeckel - T - Aggies

Sources told CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora the "reality is" Texas A&M T Luke Joeckel will be the No. 1 pick.

La Canfora notes the Dolphins remain interested in trading for Branden Albert and the team would then target a corner if that deal gets done. There remains to be buzz around Eric Fisher possibly being that top pick, along with murmurs of Dion Jordan and Star Lotulelei.
Source: CBS Sports

Apr 18 - 9:25 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The more tackles and QBs that gets drafted in the top 15-20, the better it is for us:

D.J. Fluker - T - Crimson Tide

CBS Sports' Jason la Canfora could be selected before Miami picks at No. 12.

Apr 18 - 9:52 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
16. Rams - Tavon Austin (I would love that pick)

I would surely hate that pick, so much! A lot of people think he should be a top 10, and I don't totally disagree with that assessment, because he is that dynamic and his presence alone can change a dynamic of an offense in which at times we would not be able to tell base on stats. Opening up things for his teammates simply because a defense overcompensate to stop a player like Austin.

I don't want to see Austin or Patterson anywhere in the NFC West if they're not in a 9ers uni.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tavon Austin - WR - Mountaineers

West Virginia slot WR Tavon Austin is "generating top-10 buzz," according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

"Austin might be there at 12, but teams are considering moving up to land him, and he is in play with the Jets picking ninth, as well," La Canfora writes. We buy it, since Austin's style could help any type of offense and he is potentially the lone offensive playmaker worth trading up for.

Apr 18 - 10:07 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tavon Austin - WR - Mountaineers

NFL Network's Charley Casserly believes WVU WR Tavon Austin's biggest impact will be on special teams.
Source: NFL.com

Apr 18 - 10:33 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Volunteers

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson scored an 11 on the Wonderlic.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Apr 18 - 11:00 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ezekiel Ansah - DL - Cougars

NFL Network's Charley Casserly does not see "a lot of instincts" in BYU DL Ezekial Ansah's game.

Casserly believes Ansah is one of the more overrated prospects in this class. "My concern with him is I call him a 'rope player,' by the numbers. He is a straight -line guy," he said. "I don't see a lot of instincts in him. I don't see a lot of reactions in him. Can he learn that with his limited football background?" We might be alone, but there were at least a handful of very natural or instinctual plays made by Ansah this year.

Apr 18 - 10:40 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnathan Cyprien - DB - Golden Panthers

Former NFL GM Charley Casserly believes FIU S Johnathan Cyprien "misses an awful lot of tackles."

Casserly considers Cyprien a second-round talent. "I think he makes mistakes on play action," He said. "At times I question what he sees and I see some stiffness in him in man-to-man coverage." We think Cyprien is one of the more surer tacklers in space among the safety position and showed more range at the Senior Bowl than was allowed at FIU.

Apr 18 - 10:49 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Nickel Package: The All-Satellite Team
April, 17, 2013 10:56AM ET
By Todd McShay

The top NFL draft prospects in the nation have been broken down in just about every way over the past few months, their strengths and weaknesses talked about at length and possible landing spots at the next level debated endlessly.

With the draft just over a week away, though, it's time to have a little fun and put some big-name prospects into unique categories.

That starts with my annual All-Satellite Team, which is comprised of the prospects who are the best in the nation when playing in space. When these players get the ball in their hands in the open field, they can take your breath away and go the distance on any play.

Tavon Austin's ability to cut without losing momentum is impressive.

1. West Virginia WR/RS Tavon Austin
Austin's combination of speed and agility is as good as any player I've ever evaluated. His suddenness is unparalleled in the college game, and is in the same category as NFL playmakers like Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson.

He transitions upfield instantly after the catch, has great peripheral vision and accelerates to top speed in a flash. Austin is also able to maintain top speed though cuts, which makes him even more dangerous after the catch.

All of that allows him to consistently make defenders look silly in space, and once Austin is in the clear he has an extra gear to outrun pursuit. He almost always takes it the distance when he catches daylight.

And in addition to his production as a receiver (288 catches, 3,413 yards, 29 TD), Austin also rushed for more than 1,000 yards in his career, averaged 27.7 yards per kickoff return and 12.7 yards per punt return, and scored four combined return touchdowns.

There are some concerns about Austin's pint-sized frame, but he never missed a single practice in his four years in Morgantown and his rare physical gifts will make him a first-round pick.

2. Tennessee WR/RS Cordarrelle Patterson
Patterson played two seasons at Hutchinson Community college before transferring last season to Tennessee, where he set a school single-season record with 1,858 all-purpose yards.

He has an elite combination of size, fluidity and top-end speed, and while Patterson can occasionally take the top off a defense, his most special trait is the ability to create with the ball in his hands.

He accelerates quickly when getting upfield after the catch and has very good lateral agility for his size. Patterson can stick his foot in the ground and accelerate like a running back, and he absolutely kills pursuit angles.

Patterson is raw in terms of route-running and reading defenses, making him something of a boom-or-bust prospect, but a team that puts together a creative plan to get him the ball as a receiver, runner and returner could hit big later in the first round.

Denard Robinson won't be a quarterback in the NFL, but he has the skills to contribute.

3. Michigan WR/RB Denard Robinson
Robinson's physical tools are not in question. He builds speed quickly, and is a quick-twitch athlete who can shake multiple defenders and is tough to corral in space.

However, there are concerns about his ability to transition from quarterback to receiver. Robinson ran plenty of read-option and designed keepers during his career and is very experienced with the ball in his hands (723 career carries, 4,495 yards, 42 rushing TD), but he's not yet natural catching the ball as a receiver or return man.

The good news is he's not resisting a position change like Tim Tebow (1st round, 2010) and Pat White (2nd round, 2009) did in the past. Here's a recent history of conversion QBs:

Successful: Julian Edelman (7th round, 2009), Josh Cribbs (undrafted, 2005), Antwaan Randle El (2nd round, 2002)
Unsuccessful: Armanti Edwards (2nd round, 2010), Matt Jones (1st round, 2005)
Others of note: Brad Smith (4th round, 2006), Michael Robinson (4th round, 2006), Ronald Curry (7th round, 2005)

We currently have a fifth-round grade on Robinson, but he could turn into a good value if he develops as a receiver and is also able to contribute in the return game and out of the backfield.

4. South Carolina WR/RS Ace Sanders
Sanders is a slot-receiver prospect, but his greatest value right away will likely be as a punt returner. He averaged 11.8 yards per punt return during his career, including three touchdowns.

He didn't run well at the combine (4.58 in the 40), but Sanders is quicker than fast and reaches top speed in a hurry after the catch. He can make defenders miss in space, has above-average balance and is able to run through arm tackles.

Sanders appears faster than his timed speed on tape, but doesn't show elite breakaway speed like Austin and so projects somewhere in the third or fourth round.

5. North Carolina RB Giovani Bernard
Bernard had outstanding production as both a runner (423 carries, 2,481 yards, 25 TD) and a receiver (92 catches, 852 yards, 6 TD) over the past two seasons. He also averaged 16.4 yards on 16 punt returns in 2012, including two scores.

He has super-quick feet, good initial burst and outstanding lateral agility. Bernard can stop and start on a dime, strings together multiple moves and is a slippery runner between the tackles.

If he had better acceleration and top-end speed he would be higher on this list. Bernard isn't the most powerful back and won't break many tackles, but his elusiveness and versatility should make him a Day 2 pick.

Honorable mention
Auburn RB/RS Onterio McCalebb
Texas WR/RS Marquise Goodwin
Utah State RB/RS Kerwynn Williams
Texas A&M RB Christine Michael

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.