• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When it comes to filling a need, Baalke’s gut says to draft the best player on the board and not the one who fits an open role on the team. Baalke’s experience with drafts always center on the need versus talent debate. In his mind, talent always wins out.

“The teams that have been successful are drafting for need a year or two ahead of time,” Baalke explained.

So when asked about adding a signal-caller to the roster to join Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, Baalke didn’t balk at the notion of San Francisco adding to the quarterback room.

“We’re not opposed to drafting any position,” he said.

ok good. i agree with Baalke on talent over need.

you have to add as much talent as you can cause thats the purpose of drafting. we wouldn't ignore Need totally, but Need doesn't get you the best talent. in our current situation, i'd lean way over to BPA rounds 1 and 2. not "no questions asked" BPA, but lean way over.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: 49ers already have "nine or 10" draft picks in 2014

"We've already got, I believe, it's nine or 10 (picks) for next year," general manager Trent Baalke said today.

Indeed, several prominent 49ers, including quarterback Colin Kaepernick, receiver Michael Crabtree, guard Mike Iupati and linebacker Aldon Smith will be eligible for free agency in two years, and the team is not expected to keep all of them.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crabby is the odd man out there.

word2v.png

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When it comes to filling a need, Baalke’s gut says to draft the best player on the board and not the one who fits an open role on the team. Baalke’s experience with drafts always center on the need versus talent debate. In his mind, talent always wins out.

“The teams that have been successful are drafting for need a year or two ahead of time,” Baalke explained.

So when asked about adding a signal-caller to the roster to join Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, Baalke didn’t balk at the notion of San Francisco adding to the quarterback room.

“We’re not opposed to drafting any position,” he said.

ok good. i agree with Baalke on talent over need.

you have to add as much talent as you can cause thats the purpose of drafting. we wouldn't ignore Need totally, but Need doesn't get you the best talent. in our current situation, i'd lean way over to BPA rounds 1 and 2. not "no questions asked" BPA, but lean way over.

That's an interesting comment, though I believe it's a great philosophy for the draft. Sure makes it seem as if he's not going to be too quick to give up on our 2012 class. The most obvious guy we were going to lose was Goldson, so it makes me wonder if we think Robinson might have a shot at FS. Odds are we need a replacement for Whitner next year, so it's not like this would mean we don't address the position. And Robinson was a late-round pick regardless. But it is interesting. Tends to suggest we may not go WR too early, either. Though it's possible the staff has soured somewhat on Jenkins after having him for a year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's an interesting comment, though I believe it's a great philosophy for the draft. Sure makes it seem as if he's not going to be too quick to give up on our 2012 class. The most obvious guy we were going to lose was Goldson, so it makes me wonder if we think Robinson might have a shot at FS. Odds are we need a replacement for Whitner next year, so it's not like this would mean we don't address the position. And Robinson was a late-round pick regardless. But it is interesting. Tends to suggest we may not go WR too early, either. Though it's possible the staff has soured somewhat on Jenkins after having him for a year.

yes, its a good philosophy, but is it practical? ie how well can any team execute this philosophy?

he uses 'Talent' as the main factor, so say it is BPA rounds 1 to 3. so from rounds 4 and onward he address' Need for the future. sounds good except now you're expecting mid and late round picks to fill future Needs?

again, agree it is good thinking, but how practical is it?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Y'know, I haven't heard any talk about Marquise Goodwin. With as many Tavon Austin fans out there, I'm surprised nobody likes this guy. At the very least, the dude can return kicks. Let me ask you this: would Goodwin be the one mocked in the top 15 instead of Austin if he had Geno Smith as his QB instead of the much inferiour QB play at Texas the last few years?

I'm not saying Goodwin is as good as Austin at this point. He's not. It's not even close right now. But could Goodwin develop into the kind of player Austin is?

The Niners need a badass KR more than they need a small, 1-dimensional WR IMO. In fact, I think the Niners need to focus more on red zone offense & see if AJ Jenkins can be the deep threat (which is why I'd go nuts if they got Tyler Eifert). And Goodwin looks like a 4th / 5th round pick. What would you think about using one of those later picks on Goodwin to return kicks & maybe use him in the offense in a few formations?

It's unrelated to what you're talking about, but my theory on why AJ Jenkins didn't get any time this year was because how he immediately tried promoting his products #AJ17. He put up an online store sometime that month (could have been days) after he was drafted. The benching for the year humbled him and hopefully erased that sense of entitlement. I don't believe the whole he was that bad at mini-camp thing. There's no way a 1st round WR doesn't get more than 1 target in a full regular season and playoff w/o rubbing his coaches the wrong way.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
AJ Jenkins apparently also looked at the playbook before the season and his head exploded. It took all season to put his head back together. He's going to need a tutor (like these college players got for free in college in order to barely stay academically eligible).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabby is the odd man out there.

but once Kaep gets his deal, it may be more than Crabby? they might lessen Kaep's cap hit year one of his new deal, but still? we just can't keep everybody we want.

we can only hope for good drafts, it is how we'll keep a good team going, AND stay under the cap.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Random article on Ohio St. DE John Simon comparising him to Lames Harrison:

Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon - CBSSports

And a REALLY strong endorsement of him by Urban Meyer:

Big Ten rankings: No. 3, John Simon - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

"...It didn't take long for Simon to win over new Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer, who branded the senior "Tebowish" before self-editing and calling him "Simonish." Meyer told me this spring, "I've only coached one or two like him. He's a next-level type player: leader, character, toughness, commitment. He's elite, elite." Simon also excels in the weight room, and while he's not the most vocal person, his position as a team leader is unquestioned."

I've gotta be honest: I was so busy watching Hankins I didn't pay much attention to Simon.

I like Simon alot. To me it appears there's a wider range of where people think he'll go and when people would take him if they had the draft day trigger.

I also like Nathan Williams (Ohio State) and think a team could take him higher than others think he'll go, too.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Barkevious Mingo - DL - Tigers

SI's Peter King is hearing the Falcons are trying to trade up form pick No. 30.

The three likeliest positions to target are cornerback, tight end, and pass rusher. The team worked out Barkevious Mingo, but we aren't sure they have the ammunition to move up into the top 10. Jamar Taylor Tyler Eifert, and Bjoern Werner are three other possible considerations.
Source: Peter King on Twitter

Apr 17 - 11:27 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Swope - WR - Aggies

Draft insider Tony Pauline writes Texas A&M WR Ryan Swope is "rising fast" into the middle part of the second-round.

Swope recently visited the Bears, Bills, and Chargers. "Swope is applauded for his dependability and the way he does the little things correctly," Pauline writes. "His speed at the combine (fastest official hand time of 4.28s from Indianapolis) caught a lot of people by surprise and most feel Swope, like Patton, can line-up as a second receiver in the NFL."
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Apr 17 - 10:12 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blidi Wreh-Wilson - DB - Huskies

Draft insider Tony Pauline keeps hearing UConn CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson mentioned in the first-round discussion.

Just like others in this class, Wreh-Wilson is fairly new to football and is still growing at the edge corner position. He has plenty of speed and takes upfield angles to force runs inside, albeit infrequently making tackles in run defense, but teams will like Wreh-Wilson's length and upside. He recently visited the Falcons.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Apr 17 - 8:33 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arthur Brown - LB - Wildcats

Draft insider Tony Pauline writes that Kansas State's Arthur Brown and UConn's Sio Moore are the two fastest rising players at the LB position.

Finally. "Several people on the inside continue to tell me Brown is a definite first round pick, which like means Kevin Minter or Manti Te’o are likely out," Pauline writes. "I’m told teams love Moore not only for his measurables but also because he’s scheme diverse." Pauline went on to mention Moore could be a top 50 selection and the Jets are showing strong interest.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Apr 17 - 11:24 AM